Frame Resprayer recommendation South East London ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Des49

Re: Frame Resprayer recommendation South East London ?

Post by Des49 »

I believe Roberts used Colour Tech in Dartford for their paint. I had 3 bikes resprayed through Roberts a few years ago, one frame was rebuilt a few weeks after return and is ridden a lot. This frame is distressingly poor regarding chipping and even a minor scrap with a shoe will see paint loss. Easily chips revealing white undercoat. I have posted on the forum previously about this. Fit a water cage and the paint just flakes away from the bosses. I dread rebuilding the remaining couple of frames, at least they should be well cured by the time I get around to it!

My 1987 Roberts racing bike was tough, never even needed a chain stay protector. This was resprayed about 18 months ago by C&G in Liverpool, a lovely job, but the test will be when rebuilt and ridden.

Modern paint finshes don't seem to be as tough as they used to be.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Des49 wrote:Modern paint finshes don't seem to be as tough as they used to be.

Yes - I understand (maybe from here) that one of the reasons is modern H&S safety regs.

The enamel paint on my Hewitt damages very easily.

My various older bikes (90s and all factory made and painted) are kinda scratched (some a lot) but they wear it well - none has ever gone down to the metal. Those old paint jobs seem way way superior.
Last edited by Sweep on 15 Feb 2019, 9:58am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
peetee

Post by peetee »

Toughness aside, if the frame has nice lugwork it's imperative you get a quality, thin paint coat. Thick paint on lugs is an abomination. I specifically asked for as thin as possible from my local spray company and they recommended enamel. It is a good job, much thinner than the other processes they use but still thicker than the paint on my aged Rick Powell and Ellis Briggs frames - but that may be unavoidable these days due to environmental constraints affecting paint composition. I recently saw a spray job from Bob Jackson (who used to have an excellent reputation) and that was thick enough that, had it been mine, I would have rejected it.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mm, i know some folks get all orgasmic about lugs (look at the lugs on that mate) but such complications seem to be an argument against lugs. Fair enough if it's a vintage bike and you want to preserve its looks/features, but otherwise nice welding (and it can be very nice) seems simpler. Somehow getting obsessed about lugs (not saying you are) seems like a fetish beyond the joys of cycling. I'll stick with my 90s steel hybrids and their near indestructible paint jobs
Last edited by Sweep on 15 Feb 2019, 2:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I would take/send my frame to a reputable frame builder such as Mercian. Expensive but at least they do a top notch job that will last.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.