Crank extender

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mercalia

Crank extender

Post by mercalia »

do they exist?

like this - http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US5566589-2.png

I bet I am not the only person with one leg longer than the other and I would now like to try and deal with this. I dont think I can do much shoe wise, as my cycle shoes already are a good close fit & I doubt I could put any thing inside one.

Alternatively are there any things you can attach to a pedal to raise the platform?

I am using the Sylvano Tour pedals
meic

Re: Crank extender

Post by meic »

We dont need crank extenders because we have separate left and right cranks, which we can buy in different lengths.

Depending on which bit of your leg is longer you may need different length cranks, or pedal-platforms/cleat spacers or both.
Yma o Hyd
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have thought of that but dont really want to replace my RSX cranks. Maybe just replace the left hand side wouldnt look too bad
pwa

Post by pwa »

Have you considered simply buying two sets of cranks and (wastefully, I admit) using one from each pair. Spa's own branded cranks start at about £ 20 per pair.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:Have you considered simply buying two sets of cranks and (wastefully, I admit) using one from each pair. Spa's own branded cranks start at about £ 20 per pair.

I have been thinking of that. And use the rings on my RSX? But wondering how that would affect the STI. and not sure about whether I would need new BB - The RSX uses 118mm and works fine, I have 2 spare ones and dont really want to buy a differnt size - I think the SPA ones use a different length? Or is BB length determined by frame rather than cranks?
meic

Post by meic »

Assuming that we are talking about the RSX triple here though it may apply to the double as well.
The Bottom Bracket is a different length but I run both my RSX and the Stronglight version of the Spa TD2 on 115mm bottom brackets. The TD2 would have a chainline 1.5mm further out on your existing BB, is that really a problem? I like having my RSX with a closer chainline, they did have a 115mm as an alternative spec for a 43.5mm chainline. The 118mm was for a 45mm chainline.

What is more of a problem is that you could not transfer the chainrings as they are 130bcd on the RSX and 110bcd on the Spa.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
pwa wrote:Have you considered simply buying two sets of cranks and (wastefully, I admit) using one from each pair. Spa's own branded cranks start at about £ 20 per pair.

I have been thinking of that. And use the rings on my RSX? But wondering how that would affect the STI.

I can assure you it won't,chainline is as near as damn it.
and not sure about whether I would need new BB - The RSX uses 118mm and works fine, I have 2 spare ones and dont really want to buy a differnt size - I think the SPA ones use a different length? Or is BB length determined by frame rather than cranks?

118mm UN5X will work fine.
Ypu may well ask how I know?
I've tried all those combinations and the most needed was a slight tweak of the front mech limit screw(s) 1/4 to 1/2 a turn at most.

What is your leg length difference?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

i'd keep the right crank/chainrings and just change the left one. adjust saddle height for right leg, adjust crank/pedal/cleat platform for left leg.

if it is a large discrepancy, then maybe half the height between both legs, maybe put some sort of platform on right and extend a bit less on left.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:What is more of a problem is that you could not transfer the chainrings as they are 130bcd on the RSX and 110bcd on the Spa.

I have an RSX triple which is 110/74 BCD
W H Auden
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

What model of RSX cranks do you have?
There maybe a part number on the back of the arm. Sometimes a spare is available.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cranks-left/
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cycleruk wrote:What model of RSX cranks do you have?
There maybe a part number on the back of the arm. Sometimes a spare is available.

FC-A413 170mm

You wont be able to get spares for RSX anymore - like 18 years ago now. It is the one that came with 46,36,26 chain rings is 110/74 & according to specs the chainline should be 45mm and use a 118mm BB for the triple. This certainly has worked well on my Dawes 1-Down

As to how much a difference between leg lengths - can't say but the right leg feels cramped & can't ankle pedal well. I have been putting up with this long time, but with ageing legs/knees require better setup it seems
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
cycleruk wrote:What model of RSX cranks do you have?

FC-A413 170mm

You wont be able to get spares for RSX anymore - like 18 years ago now. It is the one that came with 46,36,26 chain rings is 110/74 & according to specs the chainline should be 45mm and use a 118mm BB for the triple. This certainly has worked well on my Dawes 1-Down

My advice in my first post holds water regarding changing cranks and keeping the present BB.

As to how much a difference between leg lengths - can't say but the right leg feels cramped & can't ankle pedal well. I have been putting up with this long time, but with ageing legs/knees require better setup it seems

So you don't actually know definitively if it is leg length difference?
It could be some other health issue,muscular,arthritic,etc?
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

is definitely leg length. just dont know how much, not easy to measure? will probably be less than 1"
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

mercalia wrote:is definitely leg length. just dont know how much, not easy to measure? will probably be less than 1"

Which part of the leg? :?
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... egs-25018/

Out of interest - how about sit on the saddle in natural position, and with bare feet, place heels on pedals and see if there is a difference when pedals at the bottom.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cycleruk wrote:
mercalia wrote:is definitely leg length. just dont know how much, not easy to measure? will probably be less than 1"

Which part of the leg? :?
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... egs-25018/

Out of interest - how about sit on the saddle in natural position, and with bare feet, place heels on pedals and see if there is a difference when pedals at the bottom.

hmmm I lost interest in that article when it got to cutting a leg to shorten it :lol: