Valves?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Maculatus

Valves?

Post by Maculatus »

I'm having some 700c wheels built up on LX Hubs and Rigida Sputnic Rims for my 90's Dawes Galaxy. I will run 700x32 Schwalbe Marathons. So for touring mostly in the UK, which Valve type should I choose and why?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
pwa

Re: Valves?

Post by pwa »

Doesn't matter very much, but in theory the smaller valve hole of a Presta valve weakens the wheel rim less than the wider hole for Schraeder (car type) valves.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

From my own experience, 35c Schrader valved inner tubes are difficult to find. The Lifeline branded ones I found on Wiggle had valves so thick that a fair bit of force was required to get them through the valve holes on my own Sputniks. So tight in fact that the edge of the valve hole cut through the valve. The rims are drilled at the factory for Schrader...at least on mine they were.
The only upside to schrader over presta is if you use an Airzound horn as that also uses the Schrader which means not having to swap over the fitting on your pump if either needs filling.
The narrower valve from a presta tube means the tube has a little wiggle room for movement without straining the valve but if you wanted to get it all neat and tidy as I did, then these do the job perfectly...https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Both valve types will reach the same pressures but I personally find the presta takes air easier.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Sputnik rims only come with the larger schraeder drilling. If you wanted to use Prestatyn valves, as I did, you will need some hole adapters to fill the extra space (my LBS, who built up the wheels, gave me some FOC).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

RickH wrote: If you wanted to use Prestatyn valves, as I did,

Rick.

Welsh valves eh? Do they come with free sheep or are they a chargeable extra?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
RickH

Post by RickH »

Vantage wrote:
RickH wrote: If you wanted to use Prestatyn valves, as I did,

Rick.

Welsh valves eh? Do they come with free sheep or are they a chargeable extra?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hmph! Mutter! Blooming autocorrect on my phone. :oops:

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Maculatus

Post by Maculatus »

Thank you all for the advice.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Presta is pretty universal in Europe., but you might find Schrader easier to source in India and the far East if touring there
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Vantage wrote: ....The narrower valve from a presta tube means the tube has a little wiggle room for movement without straining the valve....

if you have a presta in a Schrader drilled rim;

1) any wiggling of the valve when the tube is inflated will strain the valve horribly (the tube won't move anywhere near easy enough) and
2) the pressure on the valve stem base is very likely, over time, to cause a vulcanised valve body to tear out of the tube.

Fitting a ferrule that supports a presta valve stem correctly isn't just a question of being neat and tidy, it is pretty much essential IMHO.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

That's my theory out the window then :)
I figured if the tube can move a bit without pulling the valve then that would be a good thing :oops:
I do use the ferrules though :)
Bill

Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

SpannerGeek wrote:Presta is pretty universal in Europe., but you might find Schrader easier to source in India and the far East if touring there

Don't know abut the Far East* but in India both Presta and Schraeder are easy to find, while the most common of all is Dunlop.

*I'm sure I've read somewhere that some bikes in Japan use a fourth type of valve. Don't know anything about it though.