The best V brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PJ520

Re: The best V brakes

Post by PJ520 »

cc1085 wrote:Since I got a bike with disc brakes I have never had a cable snap, never adjusted anything. zero rim wear, no grab or wet weather issues, controlled stopping power that far exceeds any rim brakes. The bike has been used all year round for thousands of miles, on and off road. When discs are approved for racing then watch what happens to the market for rim brakes.
Thom
And since I've got a car I've never got wet, been knocked off it, wore myself out...
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Anyone know why the bolts that hold the v brakes to the brake stud are so long? Seems I could get by with a much shorter bolt.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

cc1085 wrote:I can't understand why all modern bicycles aren't fitted with hydraulic disc brakes as standard.

It may be that others don't follow the same opinion - and it's good to have a choice even if we are wrong :wink:
I can't understand why any cassette needs to have more than 7 sprockets, but I won't press the point! Oops I just have :oops:
cc1085

Post by cc1085 »

"And since I've got a car I've never got wet, been knocked off it, wore myself out..."
Yes very true, and if only the car had rim brakes it would be perfect :D
Thom
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

MikeDee wrote:Anyone know why the bolts that hold the v brakes to the brake stud are so long? Seems I could get by with a much shorter bolt.

Indeed you can get by with a much shorter bolt, too. But there is a problem, which is that the wall thickness of the narrow, threaded part of the brake boss is actually rather small, and was designed in a 'minimalist Mafac' kind of style. It isn't entirely unknown for brake bosses to, er break. This is most likely to happen to the front ones, if there are short bolts fitted.

So if you care about the extra weight, and the brakes are unlikely to see hard use, short bolts are fine. But if the brake needs to be strong, long bolts at the front (that extend as far as the thicker part at the base of the boss) would seem like a better idea. At the rear, it doesn't matter much which length bolt you have.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

rjb wrote:Didn't someone mention cleaning your rims with horror of horrors WD40. It's reputedly stopped squealing. :shock:
Nothing wrong with that, as long as the screaming doesn't bother you :lol:
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

irc wrote:
Are the Cane Creek V levers better than the Tektro's? The Tektro's have a resin body, which seems cheap to me. The lever also has some side to side play. The lever shape seems better though.

I've used both. I like the shape/feel of the Tektos better. A nice broad angled area where the fingers apply pressure. Comparing them side by side I thought the Cane Creeks might be a better shape for someone with small hands.

As far as durability goes - I've got Tektros on my Long Haul Trucker. Not a huge amount of miles locally but one 3000 mile tour. No issues. The Tektros also have a button release for a bit of cable slack if needed when taking a wheel out.

TBH both work OK. Maybe personal preference for appearance and feel.

levers.jpg

For full size Vs my favourite is Avid Single Digit 7s. No better than Shimano Deore quality except the side to side adjustment is by an allen screw rather than a crosshead screw like Shimano which sometimes round off. I tried the XT parallel push Vs and didn't feel the added complexity made much difference.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/avid ... -prod22385

As Brucey says pads make a difference. I use cheapo Bells pads which I find better than Shimano originals.

Going back to the levers: I have recently replaced brakes on drop bars. This is with cantilevers but the brake hoods are (at least look) similar - I tried out both the Tektro RL341 and the Cane Creek SCR-5C (so the small hands or short fingers versions). The hoods/bodies of these brakes are quite different to ride on. The Cane Creek are bulkier and more square, and I did not find them comfortable. The Tektros are way better for me. Also the outward curve of the Tektro is nice especially for someone like me with short fingers, it makes it more comfortable to brake.

Peter H
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

If anybody' interested: I didn't get a new bike despite the mangled rear wheel the frame was straight. I've just completed a ride from Seattle to San Fransisco that gave my brakes a fair testing including the notorious Leggett Climb that has a long descent with many switchbacks. I'm very happy with my brake set up; Tektro RS520 levers and Single Digit Ultimate front brake with Kool Stop orange pads gave me one finger (single digit no less) silent braking the whole way down.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
cameraman

Post by cameraman »

Late to the party, but here’s my experience of canti brakes and V brakes on my CX/commuter/winter bike. I bought a dirt cheap CX bike for commuting purposes that was fitted with old Shimano cantilever brakes that were barely adequate, I tried some Tektro which if anything were worse so upgraded the pads to SwissStop BXP, I then changed the frame and the new (2nd hand) frame came with TRP canti brakes that the seller claimed were as good as disc brakes, they weren’t. My setup is 10 speed Tiagra 4700 STI levers, I had some old XT Vbrakes and had always been happy with them so eventually fittted them to the bike with Problem Solvers travel agents and also fitted SwissStop GHP pads, these worked really well apart from poor feel on the levers caused by the pulleys of the Problem Solvers. I’d toyed with trying mini V’s but a lot of reviews were quite negative, however I came across a seller on a forum who had a new set of TRP CX9 mini V’s at a good price, bought those and they are the best brakes I have on any of my road bikes (one has Ultegra calipers and the other TRP Spyre discs) they have great modulation and power, they are quiet too only sometimes giving a squeak just before coming to a complete halt