Regreasing a 6 speed block

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tcc

Regreasing a 6 speed block

Post by Tcc »

Can anyone advise me on how to dismantle a Regina 6 speed block that I want to use for a rebuild. It is in great condition but feels really gritty when rotated.
On the back there is a plate with 3 notches which I assume unscrews - I could use a hammer and screwdriver but suspect there is a tool ( there usually is ! ).
Thanks
Tcc
gaz

Re: Regreasing a 6 speed block

Post by gaz »

The plate doesn't unscrew.

Sheldon Brown's generic freewheel servicing instructions towards the botom of the page here.

Not a task I've ever undertaken, more fiddly than I have patience for.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Tcc

Post by Tcc »

Thanks gas
I had some advice from a friend to just run in some oil. It does run fine so I may do that and avoid a messy job.
Tcc
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

I think the advice is to "flush" with WD and then when dry run some oil in.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the bearings are loose it is worth removing the cover plate and adjusting the shims so that the bearing clearance isn't so slack, and sometimes to renew the ball bearings if they are in very bad condition but in general terms it isn't worth dismantling a freewheel just to lubricate it.

If you want to lubricate it, I'd suggest cleaning it (if necessary) and then lubricating it using an aerosol semi-fluid grease; this will penetrate whilst it still has the solvent in it, but once that has evaporated, it will leave a more persistent lubricant in the bearings.

By contrast oil simply runs out of a freewheel when it is first used.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tcc

Post by Tcc »

Thanks again
drossall

Post by drossall »

As Sheldon says, if you do take one to bits, it's the front plate, not the back one, that unscrews. We used to take Regina ones to bits because you could replace the pawls and so on when they broke. Quite fun putting them back together - requires cotton thread to hold the pawls down so that you can reassemble the thing. Haven't done it for years. As above though, just lubricate assembled.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

Can you recommend any semi-fluid grease products for this?

Brucey wrote:....

If you want to lubricate it, I'd suggest cleaning it (if necessary) and then lubricating it using an aerosol semi-fluid grease; this will penetrate whilst it still has the solvent in it, but once that has evaporated, it will leave a more persistent lubricant in the bearings. ....

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~