Dynamo Hubs & Wireless Cycle Computers.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JackRabbitSlims

Dynamo Hubs & Wireless Cycle Computers.

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Quick question: - Will a Dynamo hub mess up the data being sent to a Wireless Bike Computer Monitor (bar mount).

I remember reading somewhere that you should use a Wired Cycle Computer if using a Dynamo Front Hub.....is this correct?
meic

Re: Dynamo Hubs & Wireless Cycle Computers.

Post by meic »

It may affect the speedometer but then so do the battery lights sometimes.

The battery Ixon IQ front light has upset some people's wireless speedometers, so you would expect that the dynamo version (CyoIQ) will have the same effect, not because of the dynamo though.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

my understanding is that the electronics in some lamps -rather than the dynamo per se- can produce enough interference to stop some wireless systems from working.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

It's not a dynamo light, but I run an exposure red eye rear light run from a cable to the front light

I found a wireless receiver on the bars was very sensitive to cable positioning - it works fine as long as the cable is taped just a couple of cms away from it, but any closer and it gives up.

No idea if the same would apply to your set up - but does suggest that if there is a problem you might be able to solve it with a little tweaking.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Yes they can, or at least the lamp can. I have a SON28 dynamo and an edelux 2 as well as a cateye strada wireless computer. I previously had a B+M IQ fly lamp which was no problem, but when I got the edelux it screwed up the cateye. All I had to do was move the cateye from the stem to the end of the bar and all is now fine. I guess this is something to do with the distance/alignment of the light, sensor and computer.
JackRabbitSlims

Great!!

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Cheers.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Just to add to this.....

I built two of my bikes with SON28's/Edelux 11's/B&M Toplight's and fitted 'Cateye' wireless computers.

I have not done anything fancy with wiring etc.....Everything worked perfectly from day one, and to be honest, it never never entered my head that it wouldn't..... :)
JackRabbitSlims

OK - good to know.

I have a wireless one taken off my old road bike and a much cheaper wired one still in the box ready to go if the wireless doesn't cut the mustard.
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

I have a Cateye wireless computer. I found that an Ixon IQ headlight did cause the computer basically to stop working (both mounted on the handlebar) but now I have a SON28 Dynamo and a B&M Cyo Premium (mounted on fork crown) which has never caused a problem. I did experiment with the Ixon IQ and found that if it was further away from the computer the interference stopped, as observed above. So I concur that it is the light's proximity to the computer which is the basic cause of problems.

PeterH
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

You need a computer that uses ANT+ or other encoded protocol to communicate with its pickups. My old Ciclosport simply picked up any local electromagnetic pulses and was confused confused by my IQ/Cyo (but not by my IQ/Fly), and when riding beside railways it would add 50 or 60 bpm onto my heart rate. Nowadays I use a Garmin eTrex 30 for speed & heart rate, the Garmin uses ANT+ for the heart pickup, and the IQ/Cyo has no influence.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
JackRabbitSlims

OK, thanks again :D

@Audax67 - do you recommend the eTrex 30??

I wouldn't use it for HRM, but all riding data and obviously the mapping functions would be great.

I'm very new to all this and can't help but think that a Smartphone is all you need these days for Navigation whilst touring, especially with all these "offline" mapping Apps available.

Very happy to be told otherwise as I actually like gadgets etc but also want to keep al that stuff to a minimum whilst on the bike....