What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tangled Metal
Posts: 5839
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby Tangled Metal » 29 Jun 2016, 4:44pm

Just curious as to people's views on touring bikes. Looking to see what the cheapest, new touring bike you would consider if you must get one and have not much spare cash.

This is just for fun (on my part), but also I'm thinking I could be lured into getting one if cheap and good enough.

Ground rules (my thread sorry) include must be new, must be something you consider capable of touring (4 panniers style), must be available to buy in a variety of sizes today and looks capable of providing an enjoyable ride on tour.

I know there will be many on here with £1000+ bikes purr who re-purposed an 80s MTB or other second hand bike I'm not looking for that just a new, shop bought bike at the lower end of the market.

As I said, it's for fun since I'm curious as to people's thresholds with regard to price of bikes and the lowest acceptable specifications. It's about perception as much as anything. I appreciate your indulgence with this query.

pete75
Posts: 11813
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby pete75 » 29 Jun 2016, 5:16pm

The Fuji Tourer isn't well known in the UK but gets excellent reviews in the USA and elsewhere. https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-tourin ... e-EV241592. The problem is only Evans seem to stock them in the UK and they seem to sell out fairly quickly each year.
I've a 2001 version still going strong.

Spa cycles have an extensive range of tourers and always have some on offer with big discounts. Someone with say 600 quid or so to spend on a tourer, and not knowing much about them could do a lot worse than going to Spa and being guided by their advice.

I mostly build bikes up but if I was after an off the peg tourer I doubt I'd spend any more than the £985 needed to buy a Spa Steel tourer though if I wanted a "trekking" style machine I'd be look at vsf fahrradmanufaktur products.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 9663
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby horizon » 29 Jun 2016, 5:32pm

It's a good question. I would also go straight to Spa and look for a lower end, discounted Ridgeback or Dawes at around £700. But the £1000 threshold gives you a Surly (just about) or the Spa Tourer.

However the main thing about touring bikes is that they sell for pitiful prices second hand so there's really no excuse not to have a decent bike.
Let's just get Brexit done so that we can get on with the important job of re-joining the EU!

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4532
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby RickH » 29 Jun 2016, 5:37pm

I'll throw a couple in the ring

If you don't mind/ prefer straight bars, Decathlon's Hoprider 300 would be hard to beat as a tourer on a tight budget - £230 for a bike with mudguards, rear rack, 3x7 gearing, (basic) pedals AND dynohub lighting (admittedly halogen).

Ridgeback's Tour is maybe a contender for something a little better - £549 including rear rack mudguards & (if the photo is to be believed) pedals.

Rick.

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 2169
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby TrevA » 29 Jun 2016, 5:47pm

EBC Country traveller 1 is £499.

Dawes Galaxy AL is £599 but you might get it cheaper.

Spa have the Roux Etape 150 for £400 and the Viking Coniston for £480.

These are all aluminium frames with low end Shimano kit.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 9663
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby horizon » 29 Jun 2016, 6:08pm

TrevA wrote:EBC Country traveller 1 is £499.

Dawes Galaxy AL is £599 but you might get it cheaper.

Spa have the Roux Etape 150 for £400 and the Viking Coniston for £480.

These are all aluminium frames with low end Shimano kit.


Yes, there is a sub-steel market but the format remains the same which is good.
Let's just get Brexit done so that we can get on with the important job of re-joining the EU!

pwa
Posts: 10446
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby pwa » 29 Jun 2016, 6:45pm

If I were on a budget I would look for an affordable bike with a frameset I like (4130 steel or similar) and compromise on the rest. Then I would upgrade the wheels when I had some more dosh. I can live with a cheap rear mech, levers, etc but don't like any doubts about the wheels.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 5839
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby Tangled Metal » 29 Jun 2016, 8:05pm

So, if I read the above right, all steel and the cheapest you lot might consider worth getting is the Fuji at £599. Or an aluminum frame with steel fork for only £50 cheaper.

However all aluminum alloy will get you down to under £300 if you're happy travelling to a Decathlon for flat bar bike.

I think second-hand is a good way to go with touring bikes for some. I can easily imagine people buy at the cheaper end only to really take to touring. That leads to saving up for a better tourer. I think that approach would be my way, but it would see cheap or mid range coming into the secondhand marketing guess.

My concern with secondhand are confidence related. I am not mechanically minded with bikes. I could do it but have no interest. This gives me concern over secondhand. The worry that I'd end up with a bike needing work to be done on it. That would factor in with shop mechanic costs. Plus a new bike with problems are a return to vendor job. Another thing is superficial, a new bike is yours and has never been owned or used by anyone else. That's a nice feeling that you lose out with secondhand.

Still, it seems like £549-599 is the cheapest bike suggested that.I'd consider. I'd want at least steel forks. Thanks for your opinions.

chocjohn9
Posts: 282
Joined: 20 Mar 2012, 10:07pm
Location: Sunny Belgium

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby chocjohn9 » 29 Jun 2016, 8:14pm

Stock sizes are patchy...but

Roux Etape 150 £299
Ridgeback Voyage £497
Raleigh Royal £574
Dawes coast to coast 26" £899
....and drum, roll, Surly LHT from £799 (one size)

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/categ ... ring_Bikes

Tangled Metal
Posts: 5839
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby Tangled Metal » 29 Jun 2016, 9:10pm

Wow! Would a LHT 2013 version in 62cm size fit me? £799 seems a good price I think. I'm 6'5" tall with a trouser inside leg of about 34" to 36", guess that means standover height would be a bit higher.

Hmmm! I think I got a 57cm London Road from PlanetX but that's a compact frame so perhaps I'm a 60cm really so doubt I'd fit a 62cm LHT.

User avatar
Spinners
Posts: 1563
Joined: 6 Dec 2008, 6:58pm
Location: Port Talbot

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby Spinners » 29 Jun 2016, 10:35pm

pete75 wrote:The Fuji Tourer isn't well known in the UK but gets excellent reviews in the USA and elsewhere. https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-tourin ... e-EV241592. The problem is only Evans seem to stock them in the UK and they seem to sell out fairly quickly each year.
I've a 2001 version still going strong.



+1 for the Fuji Touring bike. I must qualify my comment by saying that I never toured on mine but I thought it was ace.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

pete75
Posts: 11813
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby pete75 » 29 Jun 2016, 10:42pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Wow! Would a LHT 2013 version in 62cm size fit me? £799 seems a good price I think. I'm 6'5" tall with a trouser inside leg of about 34" to 36", guess that means standover height would be a bit higher.

Hmmm! I think I got a 57cm London Road from PlanetX but that's a compact frame so perhaps I'm a 60cm really so doubt I'd fit a 62cm LHT.


I'm 6 3 ish with a trouser inside leg of 33 - 34". No problems with a 60cm LHT and about a hands breadth of seat pin showing. You should be fine with a 62 frame. My bike is set up with bars very slightly higher than the seat and is comfortable.

Chose my frame size after looking at this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dit#gid=23
Last edited by pete75 on 30 Jun 2016, 7:57am, edited 1 time in total.

Brucey
Posts: 35922
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby Brucey » 29 Jun 2016, 10:51pm

Spinners wrote:
pete75 wrote:The Fuji Tourer isn't well known in the UK but gets excellent reviews in the USA and elsewhere. https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-tourin ... e-EV241592. The problem is only Evans seem to stock them in the UK and they seem to sell out fairly quickly each year.
I've a 2001 version still going strong.



+1 for the Fuji Touring bike. I must qualify my comment by saying that I never toured on mine but I thought it was ace.


I have always thought it was pretty well specced for the price, and in most versions has sensible things like 36 spoke wheels and so forth.

However I would say that the geometry is usually a bit more 'sporty' than 'load lugger'. The angles are fairly steep, the chainstays are shortish, and the clearances for fat tyres and mudguards are not overly generous. But if you ride the bike every day/weekend and tour on it with a heavy load one or two weeks a year, maybe that is a good compromise.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

loch eck steve
Posts: 259
Joined: 4 Oct 2015, 1:32pm
Location: Argyll

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby loch eck steve » 30 Jun 2016, 7:51am

I had a Claud Butler ' Regent ' for a while , not bad bike , think there retailing for £599 at the min

pete75
Posts: 11813
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: What is the cheapest new touring bike worth getting?

Postby pete75 » 30 Jun 2016, 10:17am

Brucey wrote:
Spinners wrote:
pete75 wrote:The Fuji Tourer isn't well known in the UK but gets excellent reviews in the USA and elsewhere. https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-tourin ... e-EV241592. The problem is only Evans seem to stock them in the UK and they seem to sell out fairly quickly each year.
I've a 2001 version still going strong.



+1 for the Fuji Touring bike. I must qualify my comment by saying that I never toured on mine but I thought it was ace.


I have always thought it was pretty well specced for the price, and in most versions has sensible things like 36 spoke wheels and so forth.

However I would say that the geometry is usually a bit more 'sporty' than 'load lugger'. The angles are fairly steep, the chainstays are shortish, and the clearances for fat tyres and mudguards are not overly generous. But if you ride the bike every day/weekend and tour on it with a heavy load one or two weeks a year, maybe that is a good compromise.

cheers


Mine will take 37-622 tyres easily enough. My Raleigh Randonneur, a well regarded tourer, won't manage anything bigger than 32-622.