Walkable Cycling Shoe Recommendations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Walkable Cycling Shoe Recommendations

Post by Mick F »

Thinking about investing in new pedals and shoes for my Other Bike.
I want walkable ............. therefore SPDs.

I don't want chunky training shoes, but something like a road shoe but with a recessed cleat.

Any recommendations?
Does such a thing exist?
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Re: Walkable Cycling Shoe Recommendations

Post by pwa »

I'm not up-to-date with the latest models, but I can talk about the type I use. They are the sort that look like a road race shoe, but with a studded tread for off-road use. They are light and stiff, which makes them great for efficient pedaling. But these things are all about where you want to make the compromise, and the stiff soles on this "competition" style of shoe do not bend much in the middle. The toe area of the tread curves up a little to allow rotation as you walk. They are comfortable enough to walk in over short distances, but you would not want to walk miles in them. So on the bike they are great, and off the bike they are okay. If they have a real downside it is that they do not look right with trousers that do not look cycle specific. If you slip a pair of jeans on it can look as though you are wearing jeans and football boots.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks,
Food for thought.

I do actually want a stiff sole and road shoes work well for me. It's just that I'd like a walkable - even for a short distance - shoe.

Just looking at my spare shoes and they will take road cleats or SPD cleats but not recessed.
What I want is what I've got, but recessed.
Shoes.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I think you should google shimano touring shoes.
I have a pair of RT-81 shoes, as they are several years old I guess they have been replaced by a newer model. They are excellent and have the advantage of looking like a normal cycling shoe rather than a hiking boot.
I use mine with A-520 pedals, perfect for me.
Beauty will save the world.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Knowing how much you lean toward the traditional side of things how about these:- http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... ain-50315/

I have three pair of Specialized cycling shoes and have nothing but praise for them,they fit well and last,Shimano are as good quality but have quirky sizing IME.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

It seems to me that manufacturers with a road race model tend to have the same shoe with an MTB version, different only in that the sole has the 2 hole SPD style fitting and a extra plastic molding for the grip / recess. So a small amount of extra weight. Sidi do very nice ones, at a price. I prefer the sleeker velcro only ones, seeing no advantage to the bulky ratchet mechanisms.

I have used the more common glass fibre reinforced shoes and the carbon fibre composite (Specialized) and find it hard to choose between them. The carbon ones are not so good for walking. The sole does not bend much when walking so the heel tends to lift off the shoe as you stride forward. On the bike both feel stiff enough.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:It seems to me that manufacturers with a road race model tend to have the same shoe with an MTB version, different only in that the sole has the 2 hole SPD style fitting and a extra plastic molding for the grip / recess. So a small amount of extra weight. Sidi do very nice ones, at a price. I prefer the sleeker velcro only ones, seeing no advantage to the bulky ratchet mechanisms.

I have used the more common glass fibre reinforced shoes and the carbon fibre composite (Specialized) and find it hard to choose between them. The carbon ones are not so good for walking. The sole does not bend much when walking so the heel tends to lift off the shoe as you stride forward. On the bike both feel stiff enough.

I have a pair of Specialized MTB shoes with velcro straps and a solid stiff sole,execllent kit and very comfy too.
I also have two pair of their recessed SPD two bolt cleat touring shoes(one pr velcro the other laced) which are getting on a bit and showing it,their have a semi stiff sole and are better for walking in,though looking on their website they seems to have deleted their touring shoe range :( .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Some Giro ones here might be of interest?

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/for-the-r ... shoes.html
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I use Specialized MTB shoes, similar to these. They fit much the same as Specialized road shoes and have similarly stiff soles. I find them fine for short walks (in and out of shops etc.).

I used to use Crank Brothers pedals the cleats for which sat below the level of the sole of the shoe. Since switching to SPDs I find the cleats are slightly proud of the sole so can be felt (and heard) when walking. The same happens with a pair of Exustar sandals.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I also have two pair of their recessed SPD two bolt cleat touring shoes(one pr velcro the other laced) which are getting on a bit and showing it,their have a semi stiff sole and are better for walking in,though looking on their website they seems to have deleted their touring shoe range :(

That's a blow. I was thinking of getting some. I thought it would be easier to get overshoes over them than with the MTB shoes.
pwa

Post by pwa »

robc02 wrote:I use Specialized MTB shoes, similar to these. They fit much the same as Specialized road shoes and have similarly stiff soles. I find them fine for short walks (in and out of shops etc.).

I used to use Crank Brothers pedals the cleats for which sat below the level of the sole of the shoe. Since switching to SPDs I find the cleats are slightly proud of the sole so can be felt (and heard) when walking. The same happens with a pair of Exustar sandals.

I find the cleats (which are very durable) are about flush with the sole, so you don't want to walk on fragile wooden floor surfaces with them. But even with old shoes I never find the cleats sticking out so much that it becomes a problem. There is a limit to how far cleats can be recessed. Too much and the cleat will not engage with the sprung clamping mechanism of the pedal.

(Tried Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals and hated them. Very tricky to engage, and the only pedals that have ever broken for me)
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

I have these

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-CMPT-MTB-Cycling-Shoes_77318.htm

which are the mtb version of these

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-CMPT-Road-Cycling-Shoes_77315.htm

Not had them long, but they seem ok. They have threaded insets for studs in the toe. They are the same thread as football boot studs, which you can get off ebay for a couple of quid.

And Shimano M520 pedals, cheap, and very good IMO

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-M520-SPD-Clipless-MTB-Pedals_1887.htm

Shop around and you can get the flat inserts with reflectors as well for that price.
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

these Exustar shoes

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b79s154p3382/EXUSTAR-Stelvio-SP705-%2ANew-Version%2A

seems like the Stelvio-SP705 is back but now with a screwable spd insert that used to be you had to cut it out?

These look quite smart compared to the techo-colour mt. bike type offerings you normally get. The leather is I assume the same as before PU leather ie a plastic coating on top of a base leather - no need to polish them just wipe. I have walked on rough ground with these and they are quite up to the job doe adventuring where a mixture of riding and walking is required. At first they are a bit stiff but over time they loosen up a bit for normal walking. The do have a reinforced sole. In all very nice shoes that are fine for walking - even for some distance.
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

FWIW, I have a pair of Lake shoes where the MTB cleats are flush with the sole. They're really comfy, with mock-suede uppers and Vibram soles. They look like regular trainers at a casual glance and I can walk miles in them without trouble. I can even drive in them if required (although I only did that once to prove it possible). Unfortunately, I can't find the exact model on the Lake website, but this link should take you to the nearest equivalent -- their MX 105. AFAICT the only difference (apart from minor stying) between them and what I have seems to be the fastening system.

If it's any help, I got mine from Partridge Cycles off the A38 just South of Exeter. The staff there were exeedingly helpful and prices were less than 10% more than the cheapest on-line.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Another vote for the Specialized MTB shoes: I have the Sport model which seems to be near-identical to the equivalent road model with a similar upper and stiff midsole, but with carefully-placed outsole sections that extend beyond the cleat and provide a decent grip when walking without adding a lot of bulk to the shoe. Oh, and MTB cleat bolt holes, of course.