Triple chainset choices?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vetus Ossa

Triple chainset choices?

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have several bikes. Some I don’t ride anymore as I am not able to ride bikes set up with 52x42 chainrings now. I don’t want to alter the gearing on them as they are classic bikes and would just look wrong with modern parts fitted so am gradually letting them go.
I have a few bikes set up with 48x36x26 triples and with a 28 rear sprocket they suit me fine thank you.
The problem is if I ever get to the situation where I can only keep one bike it would have to be my Trek Madone, okay it’s not the most pleasing aesthetically I own but it is in all honesty the nicest to ride any distance due mostly to the weight and raised head tube I think.
Whereas I can ride the Trek most places (50x34) it won’t take me up the biggest hills around here as I am no spring chicken and often use the granny ring when necessary.
That bike is currently fitted with an ultegra compact chainset but I would like to use a triple of the sizes on my other bikes…do I have any options?
Beauty will save the world.
freeflow

Re: Triple chainset choices?

Post by freeflow »

Yes. I run 44/32/22 deore xt deore with Ultegra 6603 or 105 5703 shifters with a 6703 front mech. The set up doesn't comply with Shimano setup recommendations because to avoid the front mech hitting the chainstay in the lowest sprocket the mech has to be positioned so that there is a 1cm gap when on the largest chainring compared to the 1-2mm recommended by Shimano. The consequence of this is that the front mech will graunch on occasion when you shift. If however you take a gentle pace to shifting the front mech, i.e. click 1-2-3 click as apposed to click click everything runs sweetly. I've done over 10,000km of Audaxing on this setup.

You can also consider using a 6600 junior cassette and keep your current chain set. I have tested a 16-30 assembled from two other cassettes (16-27 and 12-30 replacing the largest 3 spider on the 16-27 with that from the 12-30)with a 52/39/24 triple and again all works well.
scottg

Post by scottg »

I have one bike setup with a Sugino OX-601 46/30 with a 12-32 in back.
Shifting is 10s bar-con with a Shimano 105 10s rear mech.
Front mech is a Shimano CX-70

Triple like range, would work with STI.
You could make a 13-32, to get a cruising gear back.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Anything with a 74mm BCD inner ring is going to do what you want in escence. If you wish to keep the style of the current chainset, you can still pick up the last 105 or Ultigra triples. (i.e. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/b ... t-503930t/)

The Ultigra is a 52 tooth top and the 105 and 50 tooth top. Just swap out the inner ring for a 28, been doing this for years without issue to give me a 28-39-50

If you want exactly the same ring sizes, then Stronglight or Spas own superb chainsets will give you a ton of choice. Not sure how easily you will pick up shifters now for a triple if you wish to keep it at 105 or Ultegra level.

There are super compact chainset options for doubles by Spa etc. (edit: post above beat me to it)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

The smallest middle ring that you can fit on a 130/74 BCD triple is 38 - not that small. Of these, there are a few choices out there in modern integrated-style crankset that will fit BB90. I am presumimg your Madone is BB90.

The only integrated-style 110/74 BCD triple crankset currently in production is the Miche Race Triple. And this isn't a proper triple - it uses a middle tripleizer ring. IRD do tripleizer middle rings in both 36 and 34, and I have used this cranked in 46/36/26 format.
Last edited by Valbrona on 21 Jul 2016, 3:56am, edited 1 time in total.
I should coco.
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

You don't have to have a triple, one of my bikes has STI 50/34 Ultegra compact with Mars 10 speed 11-34 (from SJS cycles) giving a low of 26.3 to 119.3 high gear inches, though most of the rest have triples.

As scottg mentioned there's the Sugino OX-601. I bought a TA Carmina chainset a while back to have in stock for my old age. At 71, for now it's still in the box.

Wanting to change to smaller chainset, has anyone had a problem with a braze-on FD and not being able to get it low enough in the slot?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Some excellent ideas there, thanks to all those that replied.

cycloret wrote:You don't have to have a triple, one of my bikes has STI 50/34 Ultegra compact with Mars 10 speed 11-34 (from SJS cycles) giving a low of 26.3 to 119.3 high gear inches, though most of the rest have triples.

As scottg mentioned there's the Sugino OX-601. I bought a TA Carmina chainset a while back to have in stock for my old age. At 71, for now it's still in the box.

Wanting to change to smaller chainset, has anyone had a problem with a braze-on FD and not being able to get it low enough in the slot?

I like this idea a lot as it seems the easier option, and I can live with the bigger jumps between gears, it's the lower gears that matter most to me.
I can't see my standard ultegra rear mech working with that cassette though, what do you use please?
hamster

Post by hamster »

An MTB mech will work with the bigger cassette. Just remember that Shimano 10 speed road shifters need to be paired with 9 speed MTB. Otherwise you can go like for like: 6,7,8,9 rear mechs are all directly interchangeable between road and MTB.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Vetus Ossa wrote:...............
That bike is currently fitted with an ultegra compact chainset but I would like to use a triple of the sizes on my other bikes…do I have any options?

Triple left hand STI might be a difficulty?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

SPA Cycles sell triple chainsets (where you can specify what size rings you want) for about £65.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

hamster wrote:An MTB mech will work with the bigger cassette. Just remember that Shimano 10 speed road shifters need to be paired with 9 speed MTB. Otherwise you can go like for like: 6,7,8,9 rear mechs are all directly interchangeable between road and MTB.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly hampster, are you saying I need a 9 speed rear mech to work with my 10 speed ultegra sti shifter?
hamster

Post by hamster »

Correct. 9 speed MTB for the big cassette; they changed the cable pull per click on MTB stuff at 10 speed so it is not compatible with 10 speed road.
Last edited by hamster on 21 Jul 2016, 10:55am, edited 1 time in total.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

De Sisti wrote:SPA Cycles sell triple chainsets (where you can specify what size rings you want) for about £65.

Yes, they are excellent, I have three other bikes with them fitted, but they are not compatible with my bottom bracket.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

hamster wrote:Correct.

Cheers, will check out whats available.
hamster

Post by hamster »

The nicest is a new old stock Deore XT or SLX...there are a few on ebay. Otherwise for 9 speed it's low-end stuff now, sadly.