26" hub brake compatible fork

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nigelnightmare

Re: 26" hub brake compatible fork

Post by nigelnightmare »

StephenW wrote:At the same time as replacing the fork, I switched from a front rack that turns with the steering to one that is fixed to the head tube. When I put a particularly heavy load on the rack (such as a very large number of cooking apples), the steering "squirms". I can still definitely keep the bike under control, but I can feel the steering pulling from side to side, kind of like a shimmy. I'm not sure if this is just one of these things, or perhaps it's a sign of something not being quite right.

Just one of those things (fixed rack), you steer and the load stays straight instead of being turned with the steering.
I bet your steering feels lighter/easier with a heavy load on the fixed rack compared with your old rack.

Why did you not get the X-FDD Dynohub @ £77.88 its only £19 more than the X-FD @ £58.88?
StephenW

Re: 26" hub brake compatible fork

Post by StephenW »

Hello Nigel

I got a bargain deal on a complete wheel from eBay with the X-FD hub. I'm still using a B&M sidewall dynamo. Although this is less efficient than a hub dynamo when in use, I believe the Sturmey-Archer hub dynamo has almost the same drag with the lights on and off, so it could be that over the course of a year the sidewall dynamo works out as efficient as the hub dynamo. The noise is a little annoying, although it is sometimes useful so people know you are coming. Since I'm not using rim brakes, perhaps I could roughen up the rim (with a rasp?) and run the dynamo on that. It might be a bit quieter and more efficient.

There are two possible contributing factors to the "squirminess" of the steering with a heavy load which I haven't mentioned. Firstly, I reused the old bearing cups in the frame for the headset. I couldn't be bothered trying to get them out, and they seemed in fine condition to me. The steering turns very freely, without play, so I don't think that's it. Secondly, one of the dropouts got slightly bent in the process of getting the bearing race onto the fork. This meant that I couldn't fit the axle in, so I slightly bent it back and filed it a bit. This only affected getting the wheel in and out. The top part of the dropout, where the axle sits once it is in place was not affected, as far as I can tell.

[I had taken the fork and bearing race to the LBS man, and he was not able to get it on, and said he would sort it tomorrow. After a few days I was a bit impatient, and kind of needed the bike, so I suggested whacking it on with a hammer. It wasn't his idea!]

The fork feels quite stiff to me, stiffer than the original and the legs are larger in diameter. The frame is large (60 cm I think), so I suppose that could make it a little flexy. Seems fairly solid to me.

I like that the rack does not swing when the bike is stopped. This makes loading and unloading nice and easy. It also doesn't matter if the load is evenly distributed or not.