Diamond Back Haanjo - Carbon Touring Bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Spinners

Postby Spinners » 26 Jul 2016, 7:15am

http://www.cyclingabout.com/new-2017-di ... ring-bike/

I'm not in the market for such a beast but I do like the look of it except for where the top tube meets the seat tube.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

Dave W

Re: Diamond Back Haanjo - Carbon Touring Bike

Postby Dave W » 26 Jul 2016, 7:47am

Why do they fit bar end shifters? Is it because it's nine speed?

gloomyandy

Postby gloomyandy » 26 Jul 2016, 8:05am

Hmm, I'm not totally convinced that fork will take a front rack. That was one of the main limitations when I was looking around at other so called gravel bikes, and actually many aluminium/Ti and even some steel bikes. Lots seem to come with a carbon fork and I couldn't find one that would take a low rider rack without some sort of compromise. In the end I went for a steel fork and frame.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 26 Jul 2016, 8:24am

gloomyandy wrote:Hmm, I'm not totally convinced that fork will take a front rack. That was one of the main limitations when I was looking around at other so called gravel bikes, and actually many aluminium/Ti and even some steel bikes. Lots seem to come with a carbon fork and I couldn't find one that would take a low rider rack without some sort of compromise. In the end I went for a steel fork and frame.

Stated it will take the following front racks.
Racks like the Tubus Tara, Ergo and Nova require just one mid-fork mount, and a lower eyelet
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 26 Jul 2016, 10:55am

I think it will accept a front rack, provided it is the sort that uses a front loop to brace the two sides. There appears to be a single mid-fork eyelet on the outside of each fork blade. If there is any question about the strength of the fork, using a loop type rack is much the best thing to do; the sort without a loop will apply ghastly twisting forces to the fork blade, at a point where it is usually least able to resist them. A single eyelet forces you to use a loop type rack. There are quite a few forks with a double mid-fork eyelet where I think it would be a dumb idea to use a rack without a loop; here you have no choice.

It is an interesting idea, with some nice features, but ultimately a flawed one IMHO.

The way they make the frames (often from subassemblies that are glued together) means that in this case you basically get the same down tube with every bike; the (very small, in the reverse sense!) variations in ETT probably arise because of the difference in head and seat tube angles.

In addition I just think that the frame itself will be vulnerable to damage arising in normal use; if the bike falls over when loaded (that might dent a metal frame, but not destroy it) I can see this frame becoming instantly damaged such that it is dangerous to ride.

And whilst you can tailor the structure such that it is flexible in interesting ways,

a) the stated 'restriction' re steel tubes is completely wrong.... and
b) regardless of the material used you are still left with a choice of making the frame stiff enough to carry a load, or not.

The way the top tube and stays have been shaped means that the seat tube is likely to be bearing nearly all the bending load of the seat pin; If there is the slightest flaw in the design or construction of the seat tube then it will break; there are plenty enough modern frames that tend to break at this point and this could be one that adds to the tally.

So if the ETT happens to fit you, it might be a nice enough bike to ride, but overall I think it is conceptually flawed.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hamster

Postby hamster » 26 Jul 2016, 2:16pm

Dave W wrote:Why do they fit bar end shifters? Is it because it's nine speed?

It looks a consequence of the brake choice - I think the brakes need a cable pull comparable to V-brakes, which isn't compatible with road brifters. Add in (as you say) the non-availability of quality 9 speed as well...

I'm not entirely sure how you would fit mudguards easily - but US tourists don't seem to use them so much.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 26 Jul 2016, 3:37pm

There's clearly a secondary eyelet at the bottom of the fork as highlighted in the comments section and shown in the photo in the normal eyelet behind the fork position so ANY front rack can be used. The examples listed are obviously not the only ones that can be used and don't require the loop for stability given the additional std eyelet.
There's also a set of eyelets at the dropouts for a rear rack/mudguards.
The Carbon Comp has 2x11 and a 46/36 c/set with an 11-32 plus 700c wheels as std with Schwalbe G-one 40mm tyres as opposed to the 27.5B on the EXP http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-road-b ... omp-carbon

I'd buy the frameset if it were available.

MikeDee

Postby MikeDee » 26 Jul 2016, 3:45pm

More reliable than brifters, plus brifters don't work with a mountain bike front derailleur.

garibeet

Postby garibeet » 26 Jul 2016, 5:44pm

Actually Spyres work fine with modern STIs, I use 105 levers on 2 of my bikes with the spyres, 10 spd in both cases but I imagine a newer 11 spd would be fine, they were designed to work with modern drop bar levers/shifters. A lot of tourers, on and off road, still prefer bar end shifters for the reliability and simplicity, not to mention the friction option if required. Not my thing but I can see why they would make that choice, for info 10spd bar end shifters are also still available. I suspect this may be an opportunity to move some old stock on, tied up with a " reliable/functional" ribbon :D given that it is functional and reliable, fair play to them I say.
Many of these light weight tourers, especially the multi surface ones for want of a more apt term, aren't really designed with mudguards and racks in mind, more often they are aimed at folks who want to pack a little more "minimalist" and use frame bags and seat packs etc. That they don't take either (in many cases) doesn't mean they aren't suitable for touring, maybe just not your brand of touring. It's not like there aren't plenty of options for frames with racks\guards already.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 26 Jul 2016, 5:47pm

Interesting idea, but not for me.
a) 12mm thru-axle, where all available dynohubs are 15mm
b) no fork crown attachment point for a light (or over-the-wheel rack-cum-handlebar bag support

Another thing that would stop me, but which isn't visible on a quick glance, would be a PF30 BB (or other) that I couldn't screw a UN55 straight in to. I also don't like all these (semi-)integrated headsets, having visions of replacement bearings being unobtainium when the originals start to fail, but I'd probably be willing to just order spares at the same time as the bike.

I generally look at what the frame/forks are like, and tend not to allow components to bother me too much.
Probably the One-One/Planet X Bish-Bash-Bosh is the closest to tempting me to a CF bike so far, but that fails on (b) above.

garibeet

Postby garibeet » 26 Jul 2016, 9:39pm

12mm bolt through would be the rear. Looking at it, it looks 15mm axle at the front to me.
Edit, having just had a look on their site it appears that 12mm is the new road "thru" axle standard. Something of an oxymoron I feel. Anyway, that alone would put me off as I don't have any front wheels that would fit, and it would be very galling indeed to have to buy a spare front wheel when I have several capable of 15mm/10 bolt thru/9mm QR!

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 26 Jul 2016, 10:17pm

MikeDee wrote:

More reliable than brifters, plus brifters don't work with a mountain bike front derailleur.

What are 'brifters' please ?
Last edited by Graham on 27 Jul 2016, 8:54am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Aggression removed
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 26 Jul 2016, 10:24pm

foxyrider wrote:What are 'brifters'

Try to keep up with the times!
It's a portmanteau of "brake" and "shifter"

A perfectly normal source of new words, such as motel, smog or spork

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 26 Jul 2016, 10:34pm

Tonyf33 wrote:There's clearly a secondary eyelet at the bottom of the fork as highlighted in the comments section and shown in the photo in the normal eyelet behind the fork position so ANY front rack can be used....

if there is no mid-mount on the inside of the fork blades (and I'm dashed if I can see one in the photos) then you certainly cannot fit 'ANY front rack'.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 27 Jul 2016, 1:56am

Brucey wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:There's clearly a secondary eyelet at the bottom of the fork as highlighted in the comments section and shown in the photo in the normal eyelet behind the fork position so ANY front rack can be used....

if there is no mid-mount on the inside of the fork blades (and I'm dashed if I can see one in the photos) then you certainly cannot fit 'ANY front rack'.

cheers

ok, front racks that are easily available AND affordable, is that better :roll: