Best sat nav for navigation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
m1ll3r

Best sat nav for navigation

Post by m1ll3r »

As the title says really I plan on a few really long rides and I am looking for a good sat have for navigation for road cycling. I'm not to bothered about other data such as speed distance etc etc just want a reliable sat nav for navigation.
Cheers
geomannie

Re: Best sat nav for navigation

Post by geomannie »

I use the Garmin Etrex 30 which I find great for navigation while touring. The Etrex 10 is fine but B&W screen only. The Ertrex 20 is fine too, but unlike the 30 is poorer at recording elevation data. If this is not important to you, its worth considering.

Benefits of all these Etrex models is that they run on AA batteries (about 22 hours life / set) which saves worrying about recharging when cycle-camping. The 20 and 30 (not sure about the 10) will happily use free Open Street Map vector maps which are routable. I get the UK/Ireland maps from here https://talkytoaster.co.uk/maps/british-isles-ireland/ and international maps from here http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/.

I don't know how computery you are, but a little knowledge is needed to load these maps onto the GPS but its pretty straightforward. The manuals will explain.

Like it or not, you will have distance, speed, average speed, riding speed, elevation (Etrex 30), you name it. That is what GPS does.

Other GPS units are available, many of the cycle-specific ones being touch screen which can be good. Etrex uses side buttons and a toggle/joystick. The latter is easier if you are wearing gloves. Also watch out for bundled maps when buying a GPS. These, while fine, can be very expensive (nearly as much as the GPS unit) and are often locked to the GPS. If the GPS dies, so do your maps. Openstreet Map maps are conversely free and more than adequate for road/track navigation.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers
geomannie
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

m1ll3r wrote:As the title says really I plan on a few really long rides and I am looking for a good sat have for navigation for road cycling. I'm not to bothered about other data such as speed distance etc etc just want a reliable sat nav for navigation.
Cheers

If really long rides is upto 8 hours then I personally use a Garmin 810, although I only really wanted it for the same reasons you do so don't need the hear rate monitor, cadence etc. If it had been available at the time I would have bought the Garmin Edge Touring GPS-enabled cycle computer, sadly as far as I was concerned that was launched well after the 810! If you are touring the USB lead is small and you can use that in conjunction with many USB plugs used with smart phones etc, so additional things you need to transport with you are minimal.

As for reliability, I would never solely rely on any GPS, they often send you round the bend instead of navigating you around one :lol:. I wrote my review of the 810 as much as a 'Janet and John' instruction manual to myself, much applies to the Edge Touring as in effect that's how I use mine when it comes to route planning then hopefully following that route.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Titanic

Post by Titanic »

I use an Etrex 20 bought specifically for cycle navigation, loaded with TalkyToaster maps.
I find the unit and setting up routes in Basecamp far from perfect, but from what I read it is the best of a bad bunch.

There are useful web sites for setting up the Etrex in the best way. For me the challenge is getting fully to grips with Basecamp. The other day roads I wanted to route over were not visible, I assumed a mapping error when in fact it was due to settings I had changed in the profile type ("Bicycling").

I persist with it as it does give me what I want, the ability to cycle without stopping for map checks every 5 minutes. The more frequently I use it the easier it becomes!

I don't believe there is currently a "silver bullet" for delivering cycle navigation.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Waterproof smartphone with external battery if a long ride
Use apps with offline maps. Use any mapping website that is able to create a gpx track ( not route). If you are spending months in the middle of the Sahara then an AA powered etrex. I've now used. A Sony Xperia ultra since Oct 2013 and now would not go back to garmim/Bryton et al. Longest rides have been 300km Audax.
Titanic

Post by Titanic »

I have tried my iPhone but do find battery life to be annoying at best. Does your system provide turn by turn directions?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

The Android apps 'Osmand' or ' Locus maps' are two that give voice directions. Other apps also do but I haven't tested them.
Titanic

Post by Titanic »

freeflow wrote:The Android apps 'Osmand' or ' Locus maps' are two that give voice directions. Other apps also do but I haven't tested them.

I can't hear voice directions half the time :-)
I get big arrows on the Etrex which work for me.

on6702

Post by on6702 »

Following some threads and advice I found in the touring sub forum I'm really enjoying the use of iPhone with Mapout for navigation purposes. I get about 4 hours of use and When connected with a small external battery in my saddlebag it gives a good all day solution without the need for a data connection.

freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I find that checking the screen when approaching a junction is sufficient
After all, I do have a 6.4 inch display :D
Ray

Post by Ray »

Titanic wrote:There are useful web sites for setting up the Etrex in the best way.

Francis Cooke is a great advocate of the Etrex and has written invaluable guides to its use - eg http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_0.htm
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
sjs

Re: RE: Re: Best sat nav for navigation

Post by sjs »

Titanic wrote:I use an Etrex 20 bought specifically for cycle navigation, loaded with TalkyToaster maps.
I find the unit and setting up routes in Basecamp far from perfect, but from what I read it is the best of a bad bunch.

There are useful web sites for setting up the Etrex in the best way. For me the challenge is getting fully to grips with Basecamp. The other day roads I wanted to route over were not visible, I assumed a mapping error when in fact it was due to settings I had changed in the profile type ("Bicycling").

I persist with it as it does give me what I want, the ability to cycle without stopping for map checks every 5 minutes. The more frequently I use it the easier it becomes!

I don't believe there is currently a "silver bullet" for delivering cycle navigation.

I use an Oregon (etrex-like but touch screen), and as a Linux user have never used Basecamp, and never felt I needed it, just copying tracks from bikehike, cycle.travel, etc to the SD card via USB.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Nexus 4 using hovercraft full of eels.