Rohloff wheel build

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
murphy7

Rohloff wheel build

Post by murphy7 »

Hi All,

Anyone know of a good wheelbuilder in the Edonburgh area, who would be able to build up a rohloff hub wheel,

Regards Murphy
georgew

Re: Rohloff wheel build

Post by georgew »

murphy7 wrote:Hi All,

Anyone know of a good wheelbuilder in the Edonburgh area, who would be able to build up a rohloff hub wheel,

Regards Murphy

Big Al at Wheelcraft - in Clachan of Campsie, just north of Mingavie would probably be the man. Rohloff do have guidelines on building a wheel for their hub so better yo do a bit research.

http://www.cyclingabout.com/how-to-buil ... off-wheel/
julk

Post by julk »

I would try Dave at http://www.davesbikeshed.co.uk/home which is in Aberdour, just across the bridge from Edinburgh.
He rides a Rohloff on one of his bikes.

He rebuilt my front wheel and it is excellent.
murphy7

Post by murphy7 »

Hi ,

Have given Dave a ring and been quoted a very reasonable price, and will be having my wheel rebuilt later this week by him. Thank you for your replies.

Murphy7
murphy7

Post by murphy7 »

Today i picked up my wheels from daves bikeshed and they are now fitted on my bike. Dave done an excellent job of building both front and rear wheels, rear is a rohloff . I would highly recommend him , he talks you through what he will do but also listens to what you have to say. He is obviously very knowledgeable of all aspects of bike building, and a cyclist with tales to tell

Murphy7
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

hi Murphy7,
Do you mind sharing the details of your build, spoke and rim choice etc?
Also did your builder mention the tension for the spokes?

I'm curious as I built my own Rohloff wheel and I'm jsut about to put it into service. I was maybe a bit foolish as I've only built one or two wheels before the rohloff wheel build but I thought I'd give it a go.
thanks
gerry
murphy7

Post by murphy7 »

Hi Gerry,

Wheel build , rims are rigida andra 30 with siver sapim race spokes. The recommended tension is 1000nm _ 1200nm, so i can only assume he adhered to this, although this was not specified.
Good luck with your wheelbuild

Regards , murphy
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

gerrymcm wrote:hi Murphy7,
Do you mind sharing the details of your build, spoke and rim choice etc?
Also did your builder mention the tension for the spokes?

I'm curious as I built my own Rohloff wheel and I'm jsut about to put it into service. I was maybe a bit foolish as I've only built one or two wheels before the rohloff wheel build but I thought I'd give it a go.
thanks
gerry
Your comment made me curious about what is special for Rohloff hubs. Looks like useful info here, but maybe you've already looked into it.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

murphy7 wrote: The recommended tension is 1000nm _ 1200nm

'nm' means 'nanometre'. One nanometre is a millionth of a millimetre.

'Nm' would be 'Newton-metre' which is a unit of torque.

'N' is Newton which is a unit of force.

1 kg exerts a force of ~9.81 N (in our gravity), so 1000 N to 1200 N would correspond to a load (in weight terms) of about 102 to 122 kg.

sorry to be pedantic, but it occurred to me that someone might think the spoke nipples were set with a torque wrench or something.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
natmat

Post by natmat »

Additionally you would need to have the pulling spokes correctly located on either inner/outer of the hub flange. Shimano specify which (inner/outer) they should be for their disc hub; I would assume Rohloff does the same.
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

Good point about the spokes that I should check. I actually built my wheel quite a while back and then left it in the shed so have forgotten the details.
Thanks
murphy7

Post by murphy7 »

:Hi Gerry,
It's good that other members hsve come on to give you some more advice. There is also a lot on you tube which is helpful. The Thorn forum also has a section for Rohloff which may be helpful.to you.

Regards Murphy
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

Hi Murphy
Apologies for late reply.
Yes it's helpful other folk contributed, it's what I hoped when I posted the question so others could benefit.
It's a nice helpful forum and a good resouce and I try to contribute as much as possible unfortunately my knowledge is still at the beginner stage.

I've joined the Thorn forum so thanks for that.

Good luck.
Gerry
Bez

Post by Bez »

Either I've been lucky in getting my leading/trailing orientation right every time for the last 15 years or so, or it makes zero difference that I've found. The only aspect of building a Rohloff that I found different to any other build was that the resistance in the hub means that turning the wheel can twist your average consumer jig, which means that final truing requires a little more care than a normal hub.

I'm not sure where this statement in that article comes from: "Double butted spokes are great because they have a higher tensile strength per mm2 compared to basic spokes." Double butted spokes are beneficial, but it's not because they're magically made of stronger material (and strength is already a function of cross-sectional area anyway).
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

It's not magic, it's engineering.