1950s saddlebag support

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PAB855

1950s saddlebag support

Post by PAB855 »

I am looking for a bag support of the following design. A loop of steel tubing which is squeezed to let the ends pass between the seatstays. After it is released it grips the insides of the stays, no moving parts and very strong. eBay had one, but it's gone.
Steve O'C

Re: 1950s saddlebag support

Post by Steve O'C »

They come up regularly:

http://tinyurl.com/zcnz5la
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks Steve, that's perfect.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

That looks like a nice one, tempted myself :wink:
Beauty will save the world.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I had one of those when saddlebags were the norm. As I rarely throw anything away, but I've not seen mine for ages, I had to think to remember what happened to it.

Once upon a time, lightweight frames had "pencil" stays. When I was able to order my first frame rather than second-hand (thanks to the late Lord Edmund Davies bless his soul) fashions had changed and seatstays were appreciably thicker. The bits of my saddlebag support which were intended to fit snugly between the seatstays were for much slimmer tubing. I suppose somebody with the right skills might have been able to modify them.

In short, if the one in the link is for a frame of a certain age - when almost all lightweight frames had a couple of twists of cloth handlebar tape on the seatstays to protect the paint from that type of bag support - it's unlikely to fit a modern frame without modification.

PS The other thing is that they can interfere with some styles of centrepull brakes. At one point, I had my rear MAFAC Racer mounted in front of the seatstays.

PS

I've just remembered this pic of an embarrassingly neglected winter hack which broke beneath me about three decades ago. Although the pic was taken to illustrate the broken frame, the saddlebag support and unusually mounted back brake are in there as well.

viewtopic.php?p=326043#p326043