Garmin 800 won't connect to computer, connectors corroded?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
puffin

Garmin 800 won't connect to computer, connectors corroded?

Post by puffin »

I am trying to upload the records of a LEJOG trip but it appears my connectors are corroded. (ALL my Garmins have failed, my Etrx, them my Forerunner, now my Edge has gone the same way. Spoke to a script wielding customer support man at Garmin who said they will sell me a refurbished one (they did this with the forerunner) but they will not save my records of the trip.

Anybody found a way to get the connectors working again?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Garmin 800 won't connect to computer, connectors corroded?

Post by Mick F »

Sounds terrible, losing your data. :oops:

Which bit is corroded and why?
Mick F. Cornwall
puffin

Post by puffin »

The connectors to the usb plug appear to be at fault (the socket you plug the cable into). It still charges, but wont swop data.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

Mine did the same after a particularly wet scottish ride, I cleaned the connectors very carefully using a v-small flat head screwdriver and some toilet tissue once cleaned it worked again.

If you look at the USB port with the screen at the top the connectors which are tiny are at the bottom of the plastic thing (not sure what you would call it) I wedged a tiny amount of tissue in there with the aid of the screwdriver without being rough as all I wanted to do was give the copper connectors a wipe. I think dirt gets in there and it then stops the signal which tells the unit that its connected to a PC. From what I know of how USB connections work there are lets say 5 tiny wires and only 1 deals with the data to and from the PC or at least its something like that.

Just be very gentle.
Rich
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wonder why It's never happened to me?
I've been with Garmin Edges since 2007 with my 305, then a 705, and now a Montana plus an Edge 20.
The connectors never corrode or gunge up despite awful rainy weather on tours.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that I'm fastidious at uploading after every single ride. Therefore, the units get connected and disconnected daily.

Maybe that's your problem. The connectors aren't used enough.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Also try a different connecting cable if you haven't done so already.
Does the 800 have Bluetooth connectivity?
Does the data get recorded to the SD card?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

Mick F wrote:I wonder why It's never happened to me?
I've been with Garmin Edges since 2007 with my 305, then a 705, and now a Montana plus an Edge 20.
The connectors never corrode or gunge up despite awful rainy weather on tours.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that I'm fastidious at uploading after every single ride. Therefore, the units get connected and disconnected daily.

Maybe that's your problem. The connectors aren't used enough.

It happened to me three weeks ago, never had an issue before and I can't complain the unit has done 25,000 miles in all weathers.

I can't explain why it happened, but the above fixed mine 8)
Rich
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

This happened to me too, I used a spot of GT85 to clean up the port on the Garmin, works fine now.
Al Wright

Post by Al Wright »

It may be worthwhile using some contact cleaner (available from electronics stores). As well check the USB connecting lead, it could be faulty, (using it to connect a different item, such as an e-reader to the computer)
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

I had a similar problem with an Edge 25 a few weeks back after the Windows 10 anniversary update. The problem has since resolved itself, although I'm not sure whether the cure was from a Garmin update or another Windows update.
If you're a Windows 10 user this may be of help.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3183365
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

if the ride log is important to you, then before you smash the Garmin with a hammer (I've been there...) ask around for someone (into electronics) who could solder on a replacement connector.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

puffin wrote:... am trying to upload ...

Uploading generally involves three parts: the dowloaded one, the uploaded and a cable.
Are you totally sure it's your garmin? did you try with another pc or something else alike ?
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

We'd had problems with Garmin in the past, so I just opted for a cateye computer again (my old simple cateye one was fine).
Big mistake.
Currently I've just spent two hours trying to get a cateye Padrone + computer set up with an iphone (after an already bad start waiting a week for a reply from Cateye's importers about a problem downloading the app).
To date, all I've manged is
download app
update firmware
get stupid thing to recognise I actually have a HR monitor

Not yet managed to:
get any actual readings on iphone or computer from HR monitor
Connect to anything else, or get any other data whatsoever
configure Computer screen to include HR data (I have followed all the instructions on the iphone, set it up, looks fine on the iphone settings, but all the computer will do is toggle between two preset screens which don't include HR).
:evil:

I can't face trying to set anything else up (like the cadence monitor) at present, and frankly, right now for two pins I'd throw the whole lot in the bin and stamp on it. Not good for just shy of £200. I have never in my life come across worse written or more useless instructions for setting anything up. Ever. And I speak as one who uses computers a lot and who generally works problems out quite well. I currently feel too mad even to go out on the bike to cool off.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

Flinders wrote:We'd had problems with Garmin in the past, so I just opted for a cateye computer again (my old simple cateye one was fine).
Big mistake.

I switched from Garmin (multiple failures) to iPhone with blue tooth sensors (HR, cadence, etc). Very easy to setup both the Strava and RideWithGPS apps, both of which do 'follow the line' mapping. Some Samsung phones have an Ant+ chip in them, if that fits your sensors. There are some decent waterproof mounts for phones now, and you can pickup cheap sim-less second hand phones with relatively small screens, GPS, Bluetooth, and Ant+.

I wasn't sure if the smartphone thing would work, but it really does and even on a tour down to Switzerland. Really helps if you have a dynamo for charging, but a power bank is fine. The downsides of smartphone for on-bike is that even the smallest is larger than a Garmin 800, and the touchscreens don't work well/at all in heavy rain (ie you need to wipe them before touching).

I've seen someone who glued a quad lock onto the rear of a second hand Samsung phone (a waterproof phone), which made the form factor a lot smaller than using a waterproof mount. I think that's the way I'll go now I know I can keep a phone charged, and that the device is more reliable than a Garmin even when cycling over the rough stuff.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

FarOeuf wrote:
Flinders wrote:We'd had problems with Garmin in the past, so I just opted for a cateye computer again (my old simple cateye one was fine).
Big mistake.

I switched from Garmin (multiple failures) to iPhone with blue tooth sensors (HR, cadence, etc). Very easy to setup both the Strava and RideWithGPS apps, both of which do 'follow the line' mapping. Some Samsung phones have an Ant+ chip in them, if that fits your sensors. There are some decent waterproof mounts for phones now, and you can pickup cheap sim-less second hand phones with relatively small screens, GPS, Bluetooth, and Ant+.

I wasn't sure if the smartphone thing would work, but it really does and even on a tour down to Switzerland. Really helps if you have a dynamo for charging, but a power bank is fine. The downsides of smartphone for on-bike is that even the smallest is larger than a Garmin 800, and the touchscreens don't work well/at all in heavy rain (ie you need to wipe them before touching).

I've seen someone who glued a quad lock onto the rear of a second hand Samsung phone (a waterproof phone), which made the form factor a lot smaller than using a waterproof mount. I think that's the way I'll go now I know I can keep a phone charged, and that the device is more reliable than a Garmin even when cycling over the rough stuff.

That's interesting....
The padrone works with bluetooth too.
After stomping around for a bit I had anther go with the padrone+. I started with the cadence sensor- I fitted it before trying to pair it, as I knew I could fit it alright and needed to do something that would work to get my confidence back or I'd have gone mad. It fitted fine, and paired fine. For some strange reason, despite AFAIK doing everything exactly the same as before but which didn't work, I sorted out most of the other things too. I will try again with the HR and then take it for a spin to see if it all works together now. If it does, the next step is downloading rides.

I suspect if I'd ever had one before, I would have managed it without too much trouble, but there were far too many things they didn't include in the instructions, or told you later in the instructions you needed to do first - after you'd already tried fifteen times to do something. They basically assume you've done it before, and I hadn't.

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice. :wink: