adding third bottle mount

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: adding third bottle mount

Postby Sweep » 1 Sep 2016, 6:05pm

Gattonero wrote:A local framebuilder can add two bosses in most cases, on a steel frame is relatively a quick job and would involve repainting an area about 20cm of tubing.

If in need to carry lots of water, I would however think of an alternative solution, like a small frame bag on the top tube, so to keep an hydration bladder. This way only one water bottle is needed, to be refilled from the bladder. Foam (or spare clothing) can be used around the bladder to keep the water at cool temperature in the summer.
Lots of people are doing so in Bikepacking.

Thanks gatto, you have confirmed the hassle repainting.

Please note this is for a fuel bottle.
Sweep

tim_f

Postby tim_f » 1 Sep 2016, 6:50pm

tim_f wrote:
I have found these effective http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ac ... age-strips and cheap.

Have you used them in that position tim?

Ie -on the underside of the bike?

I have read variable reviews in the past, and there are a small number in that halfords listing, though maybe one bad reviewer is as bad with a screwdriver as their wayward spelling.
Sweep

I have used them in that position to hold a water bottle.

They are fiddly to fit and one needs to follow the instructions to make them work.

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 1 Sep 2016, 7:31pm

Sweep wrote:
Gattonero wrote:A local framebuilder can add two bosses in most cases, on a steel frame is relatively a quick job and would involve repainting an area about 20cm of tubing.

If in need to carry lots of water, I would however think of an alternative solution, like a small frame bag on the top tube, so to keep an hydration bladder. This way only one water bottle is needed, to be refilled from the bladder. Foam (or spare clothing) can be used around the bladder to keep the water at cool temperature in the summer.
Lots of people are doing so in Bikepacking.

Thanks gatto, you have confirmed the hassle repainting.

Please note this is for a fuel bottle.

I see. The low position is quite exposed so I personally won't trust that mount for drinkable water. Good for other stuff, tho. A fuel bottle makes sense there.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 1 Sep 2016, 7:49pm

Have ordered the bits recommended above by gaz.

It will be a little while before I do the bike build using them - will try to report back when I do.
Sweep

irc

Postby irc » 1 Sep 2016, 7:54pm

Or if your frame is big enough an oversize bottle on the seat tube. My 60cm Long Haul trucker has a 2L bottle (standard supermarket water bottle) mounted there using BBB Fuel Tank XL cage. After a bit of trial and error I ditched the top clamp and use a velcro strap to retain the bottle.

http://road.cc/content/review/11371-bbb-fuel-tank-xl

Using a wider bottle on the seat tube means if foul a bottle on the down tube. Sorted by moving the down tube cage mounts up with a Mount Skidmore Bottle Cage Adapter.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/ ... 005&page=1

So with a couple of 950ml bottles in the other two cages and my 2L bottle I've got almost 4L capacity in the main triangle.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 1 Sep 2016, 8:21pm

Er thanks for reply irc, but please note as noted above times 2 this is for fuel.

I have no wish to carry 4 litres of fuel and none of it under my **** :)

Thanks anyway.
Sweep

Binkyboy

Postby Binkyboy » 2 Sep 2016, 10:50am

I used one, using a clamp on cage, for an extended camping tour in wild country. No problems whatsoever.
I put the heavy stuff, like tools, in it because it kept the weight down low, and it didn't matter when it got sprayed with dirty water off the front wheel. I don't advise putting a drinking water bottle there, because of the dirty water spraying all over the bit you are going to put in your mouth.

axel_knutt

Postby axel_knutt » 2 Sep 2016, 2:31pm

robgul wrote:just take plenty of time with the positioning of the cage (with bottle in it) to ensure it's well clear of the front wheel and chainwheels.

Unlike Dawes. You can't fit a bottle on my Horizon without it fouling the mudguard, I had to make an extender bracket to move the cage mounts further down the tube.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 3 Sep 2016, 8:54am

Hi,
No idea why all water bottles don't have covers over the spout.
Mounting low in front shields the chain gear from crud as said.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Sep 2016, 10:52am

gaz wrote:Rivnuts?

I doubt that I'd have the nerve myself especially on a lightweight frame.
Nice link, and a good video.

However ............................ where did the swarf go?
Into the BB? :lol:

I'd have the nerve to do it, but I would remove the BB first.
Mick F. Cornwall

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 7 Sep 2016, 2:06pm

Well gaz I ordered these

gaz wrote:https://www.velovitality.co.uk/products/velo-orange-water-bottle-cage-clamps

as recommended by you (not saying you have seen them).

Many thanks for the recommendation but am very disappointed.

Very reasonable price of £2.99 if they do/did the job but somewhat inexplicably an extra £1.50 for signed (why?) delivery for something that will just go through a letter box.

I'm not convinced by them for a bottle in that position - very very thin bendy plate metal that I could I think possibly have done a fair imitation of with a pair of metal snips let loose on a beer can.

So I think I'll be using the jubilee clips seated on old bits of inner tube as used before - solid as a rock - no probs with me if it looks a bit agricultural. After all it's to provide fuel for a Trangia with me sat in a possibly damp field. Bling not needed.

Beware fashionista cycle kit :)
Sweep

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » 12 Sep 2016, 7:45pm

A pair of DMR Hinged Clamps did the job very nicely for our old Specialized Rock Hopper that we converted to a touring bike earlier this year:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dmr-hinged-clamp/rp-prod745?gs=1&gclid=CIbRuaa01cwCFcFsGwodsFgPZA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Paired with a “Profile Designs Kage” it comfortably carries a 1 Litre Trangia fuel bottle under the downtube.
Touring Rig: .....2013 Surly Long Haul Trucker 700c
Sunday Best: ...2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
Foul Weather: .2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
Commuter:.......1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 12 Sep 2016, 8:04pm

Thanks for the suggestion captainslow - will check out though I know that last time I looked at this (I'm trying to fit the bottles on exactly the same frame as before) a lot of the solutions I looked at interfered with the gear cables in some way.

Will report back once the job is done.
Sweep