Electronic Shifting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
0xymoron

Re: Electronic Shifting

Post by 0xymoron »

But that doesn't stop other people pointing out the flaws of any particular system,in this case 11sp electronic shifting which does have flaws that other systems don't.

But what is a flaw to you may well be an advantage and / or preference to someone else, and what is an advantage to you may well be quite irrelevant to others.

Perhaps I might say: " but that doesn't stop other people pointing out those features of any particular system that I don't like / need / want, whereas other systems have those features that I do like / want / need."

PS

The utility cyclist
The words "point" and "missed",spring readily to mind regarding your reply :?

Isn't it a little bit juvenile to use somebody's username to make a point? But do feel free to undermine my point by making a snarky comment about my username :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The utility cyclist wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The utility cyclist

You started with the name calling. Clearly you missed that too.

What name calling was that then?
I stated that it was you who made assumptions about other peoples reasons and short comings of 11sp electronic shifting by levelling unfounded accusations at them personally without foundation.
Your reply missed that point by a mile.
The discussion/debate is about components,it was you who widened it to personal attack,I was merely pointing it out to you as you seemed incapable of seeing the difference.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Graham

Post by Graham »

Please let us drop the personal stuff. It is only an internet forum . . and life is too short.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

0xymoron wrote:
But that doesn't stop other people pointing out the flaws of any particular system,in this case 11sp electronic shifting which does have flaws that other systems don't.

But what is a flaw to you may well be an advantage and / or preference to someone else, and what is an advantage to you may well be quite irrelevant to others.

Perhaps I might say: " but that doesn't stop other people pointing out those features of any particular system that I don't like / need / want, whereas other systems have those features that I do like / want / need."
PS

The utility cyclist

Isn't it a little bit juvenile to use somebody's username to make a point? But do feel free to undermine my point by making a snarky comment about my username :wink:

I've no problem with debating the pros and cons of anything cycling related,however it was this comment from The Utility Cycist:-
Too many look down with distain because they don't like change, simply don't understand or simply hate the fact other people want/need or enjoy something they don't have and that it doesn't fit in with their viewpoint

That was unnecessarily provocative,needless,and personal against anyone who doesn't agree with him.
The second quote you mention was headed 'The Utility Cyclist' because it was addressed directly to him,and because he missed the point and still misses it!
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Dec 2017, 10:41am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Graham wrote:Please let us drop the personal stuff. It is only an internet forum . . and life is too short.

I quite agree.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

De Sisti wrote:To reohn2 and utility cyclist. It's an internet forum. Make your point, expect others to disagree, stop arguing and move on. :|

It isn't the disagreement on the subject matter I have the problem with,its the personal attacks I dislike and won't let drop.
W H Auden
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

reohn2 wrote:
De Sisti wrote:To reohn2 and utility cyclist. It's an internet forum. Make your point, expect others to disagree, stop arguing and move on. :|

It isn't the disagreement on the subject matter I have the problem with,its the personal attacks I dislike and won't let drop.

Agree to have a fight an be done with it. :roll:
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

reohn2 wrote: this comment from The Utility Cycist:-
Too many look down with distain because they don't like change, simply don't understand or simply hate the fact other people want/need or enjoy something they don't have and that it doesn't fit in with their viewpoint

But equally this inverse is true as well, too many people look down with distain on tried and tested technology, and simply dismiss equipment because it fails to feature in bright colourful adverts, or featured in the latest reviews.

As a result technology which could provide a useful number of gears, with a wide range and still have a strong wheel, (and would be the touring triple, with a half step chain ring and a six or seven speed cluster. It worked well enough for Tony Oliver) is simply ignored as writers for magazines (who I would suggest generate income from selling advertising space rather than readership sales) continue to praise whatever bicycle 'thneed' is currently fashionable.

I myself have a simple bike with a single chainring & a 5 speed freewheel, so I appreciate the operational simplicity of a 11 speed bicycle.. However I fail to see how running a chain at more extreme angles than my own chain, will improve its life, nor do I fully understand the life changing difference which is alluded in the adverts between riding a bicycle with 11 gears verses riding a bicycle with 8 gears.
At the end of the day, the bicycle still gets dirty, you have the same weather, the same cake stops and you ride on the same roads, tracks and byways.
I rather think we are on beyond claiming that new technology attracts new cyclists, it is not statically accurate.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

De Sisti wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Agree to have a fight an be done with it. :roll:

:?
W H Auden
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Gosh, this thread is still running.