Brake cable stuck in Ergo lever

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Steve

Brake cable stuck in Ergo lever

Post by Steve »

In trying to replace a frayed cable I am unable to push the nipple back out of the lever, and it seems pretty well fast in there. Can anyone suggest how I can free it? There is almost nothing to get a purchase on to pull it through. Thanks!
Brucey

Re: Brake cable stuck in Ergo lever

Post by Brucey »

you may have to push it instead, if it is broken at the nipple, eg using a small screwdriver or punch. If you can do, remove the lever blade and work on that separately.

BTW someone may have fitted a cable with a slightly oversize nipple in it to your campag levers; IIRC campag cables have slightly smaller nipples to them and not all aftermarket cables will fit, not without getting stuck, anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ah, therein lies the problem as I can't push it or pull it out, at least with the lever in place, and I can't cut it at this end as have no slack to play with (frayed at brake end). I can't see that taking the lever off the handlebar would help.

If the cable is a misfit I've only myself to blame....
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Brucey wrote:IIRC campag cables have slightly smaller nipples to them and not all aftermarket cables will fit, not without getting stuck, anyway.

Yes this is true. I used to have both Campag and Shimano brakes on my various bikes, and found that inner cables all look much the same but some brands supply Campag- and Shimano-compatible as separate items. Currently in my spares box are Kble brand Campag-compatible, whose nipples measure 3.16mm diameter (narrower part) and 5.34mm (wider part); and Lifeline brand Shimano-compatible at 3.28mm and 5.86mm (narrow, wide parts respectively).

So I can well believe Shimano and "generic" cables would stick in Campag levers. I guess that in theory Campag cables would by slightly less safe in Shimano levers as they are putting slightly more than expected pressure per unit area on the nipple seat in the lever, though it's probably not significant.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

It may be a bit of oxididation holding it stuck fast. I generally grease the nipple end before putting it in now. I had a hell of a job getting a cable out of an old set of oergos as the nipple had almost disintegrated into the lever. Some Plusgas and poking with a very sharp thing eventually loosened it but I remember it taking a good few days to free it completely.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Steve wrote:Ah, therein lies the problem as I can't push it or pull it out, at least with the lever in place, and I can't cut it at this end as have no slack to play with (frayed at brake end). I can't see that taking the lever off the handlebar would help.

If the cable is a misfit I've only myself to blame....

I don't see why you can't;

1) cut through both inner and outer together at some point, then

2) pull the cable inner out of the housing

3) work at it from above, having rotated the fitting into which the nipple fits so that you are able to push/tap down on it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Remove the brake lever.

Hold something heavy against the side of the Ergo and use a punch and a small hammer to knock out the hinge pin.
Easier than you'd think.

I've used a drill-bit as a punch in the past. Maybe employ the help of a willing assistant to hold the heavy thing. Unless you use something heavy - (big hammer?) the 'bars will absorb the hammer and punch force.

The pin drifts out easily enough. Make sure you don't lose the plastic washers either side of the lever.

With the pin out, the brake lever will be completely free to come away, and the dog will be able to see the rabbit.

I must add, that in all my years with Campag Ergos, I've never experienced your problem, so I can only think you've fitted non-Campag brake cables. The nipples are smaller than bog standard nipples. If you've used non-Campag, the nipple could very well jam in.
Mick F. Cornwall
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

This has happened to me a few times, all the way back to Super Record. Proprietary parts and accessories are how big players like Campagnolo keep their market share, but at least their spares are still legendary, unlike Shimano who seem to stop supporting product lines at around a five year cycle. If the worst comes to the worst there's always the option to mount it in a vice and carefully drill out the offending part. I've had to do this previously and although tricky it was 100% success.
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

I had exactly the same thing happen, as mentioned above its due to slight differences in nipple sizes.
My excellent lbs ( Paul Hewitt's, Leyland) drilled it out for a tenner.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Done this several times.
Take off lever as above, its easy and you now have it in your hand with inner cable dangling.
Just chop the lot through right by the caliper and you'll have enough outer left to use again if that's your worry.
Then poke the nipple out with a screwdriver.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Easy peasy.
Five minute job.
Mick F. Cornwall
Steve

Post by Steve »

Sorted now thanks! Used a small screwdriver to prise a short loop of cable out above the top of the lever and cut it there, albeit with slight damage to the plastic mount above. Then pushed the nipple out from the back with screwdriver blade. It was actually a Campag cable, but I suspect one reason it had got stuck was that being on the tandem I often have to apply the front brake with max force.