Issues with campag ultrashift record levers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
samsbike

Issues with campag ultrashift record levers

Post by samsbike »

I managed to source a secondhand pair and fitted the left hand one to my bike. Part of the reason is to run 8 speed on my commuter rather than 10 speed and I am not a fan of the sticky out cables. I thought I would try one lever at a time, not least because the 10 speed is not worn out.

This raised a couple of issues:

1. When fitting the body to the bars the levers are angled inwards - which feels really weird. Also the housing is cracked and I am not sure if that is an issue or not.

Are they supposed to be inwards and could it just be a poor clamp? (here is hoping)

2. I cabled the front derailleur in and for some reason although the ratchet works, the derailleur keeps slipping to the left (so the chain keeps rubbing and then I have to push the lever in to get it up again) - is this a lever issue or a cable issue?

I will try and take some pics and post them later

thanks
tatanab

Re: Issues with campag ultrashift record levers

Post by tatanab »

I think you are talking about modern 10 speed levers here, not pointed top 8 speed. Your description is not clear. If so, I find that my 10 speed levers have a slightly inwards angle to them, only really visible when viewed from the front. Its fine by me. Lever movement - I suspect you have a Shimano front mech where the spring may be too strong for Campag levers - so I've heard. Alternatively, you might just have the outward limit screw wound in too far by 1/4 turn (ish). What happens is that you can move the chain across so that the ratchet is just on the tip of a tooth. When you release the lever the ratchet falls back. If that is the case, unwind the screw a little.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Yep, its the modernish 10 speed.

I don't know about a slight inward, this one is a lot, but will take a photo.

I am using these on a triple and trying to align on the middle chainring. I suspect you are right, that the spring is too much and its causing the FD to move back a tad, well enough to push it out a ratchet!
niggle

Post by niggle »

I have been using Veloce 10spd Ultrashift ergos with Shimano 8spd drive train on my tourer for 3 yrs and I love it.

1. The levers are angled slightly inwards at the top, i.e. the flare outwards slightly at the bottom- I like this and find it easier to reach the brake levers from the drops because of it. Also if your brakes are wearing down and the inboard shift lever touches the bar it diverts to the side so you still have usable movement of the brake lever, though you do notice the shift lever being pushed out against your fingers, thus getting a warning that it is time to adjust.

2. I have heard that as Shimano Road front mechs use a lower cable pull this results in the mech return spring being too strong for the lever ratchet, which can then slip. I use a Shimano MTB front mech which uses more cable pull than Shimano Road, closer to Campag, and this shifts fine with no slipping.

Possible fixes I have heard of:

a) Adapt Shimano Road mech by extending the cable attachment arm further from the pivot, e.g. I have heard of people modifying this adaptor for using old Campag mechs with new shifters to fit a Shimano Road Mech: http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/component ... plate-camp

b)Use a Shimano MTB front mech if you chainset is fairly close to the MTB mech spec, though you might get chainline issues.

or fit a modern Campag front mech....

EDIT: I used option b) as was wanting to use an MTB chaibset anyway and it works great.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

1) yes they can be angled; compare with pictures of the same model/year as yours. If 'the housing is cracked' then your levers could be scrap, or at least in need of a spare part that you might only be able to buy used. IIRC most Ultrashift levers are of the kind that cannot be repaired with small spare parts, not because it simply isn't possible, but because campag decided to stop selling such spare parts.

2) You might need a different force on the cable for the front mech, so a longer arm on it or a different mech much as Niggle describes.

There is some info on ultrashift levers here;

http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo_faq.shtml

including a note that early production ultrashift has 'known issues'.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Thanks all. My problem is that the levers are angled in rather than out and there is about a 1 cm crack.
Attachments
IMG_2396.JPG
IMG_2395.JPG
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

Seeems to me that a brake ferrule was too thick and caused that crack and/or the clamping torque of the attaching nut was too much for the housing.
This Ergo housing is basically scrap.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

That is not "Ultrashift" Ergopower, but "classic shape", to make things easier to understand.
Yes, that body looks cracked, the brake housing needs no ferrule to the shifter end!
And yes, not all the bars are shaped the same, some do not allow the lvers to be raised to a decent height, so people ends up putting them on the wrong radius of the bars, and overtightening the clamp.

Will need a bit more infot, but good news are that the shifter body can be replaced.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, it looks like there is a ferule used on the brake cable, and it looks like they are wrongly positioned too.

These are the instructions.
Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 14.41.58.png
Mick F. Cornwall