SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
User avatar
horizon
Posts: 9968
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby horizon » 11 Oct 2016, 5:48pm

http://spacycles.co.uk/m1b17s21p3550/SP ... ur-Special

It's new, I presume.

Any thoughts/comments?
The experience of travel is something that you have to pay for but can never buy. Ho Ri Zon Chinese philosopher

User avatar
Spinners
Posts: 1677
Joined: 6 Dec 2008, 6:58pm
Location: Port Talbot

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby Spinners » 11 Oct 2016, 6:07pm

Looks OK. I've seen that exact shade of blue before!

I wonder what size tyres it could take with guards?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

reohn2
Posts: 37367
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby reohn2 » 11 Oct 2016, 6:37pm

Spa's current range of bikes have a lot going for them IMHO.but there's no geometry chart for the new bike.
The red the 631 Audax as shown on their website is particularly appealing.

It's a minor point but graphics/brand name style need work on them,IMO that and a serious advertising campaign could increase sales dramatically.

Edit
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Oct 2016, 7:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 9968
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby horizon » 11 Oct 2016, 6:40pm

My initial thoughts were:

Why 631 versus 725 - differences? (weight, feel, price?) 631 is £100 cheaper but is that frame or equipment?
Frame geometry identical to tourer (sizing is different)?
Frame only?
Would you recommend the 631 Tour over the Tourer for certain roles and vice versa?
The experience of travel is something that you have to pay for but can never buy. Ho Ri Zon Chinese philosopher

pwa
Posts: 11147
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby pwa » 11 Oct 2016, 6:56pm

In theory 725 has a higher tensile strength than 631, but I don't think that translates into being better to ride. I don't think the extra strength of 725 results in the tube walls being thinner, so they must be about the same weight.

Seems like a good price.

reohn2
Posts: 37367
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby reohn2 » 11 Oct 2016, 7:32pm

horizon wrote:My initial thoughts were:

Why 631 versus 725 - differences? (weight, feel, price?) 631 is £100 cheaper but is that frame or equipment?
Frame geometry identical to tourer (sizing is different)?
Frame only?
Would you recommend the 631 Tour over the Tourer for certain roles and vice versa?


I can't find that information on Spa's website.

TBH I think Spa's bikes could/perhaps are/if not should be making a big dent in a certain Somerset company's sales.
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Oct 2016, 7:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

PH
Posts: 8070
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby PH » 11 Oct 2016, 7:33pm

Discussed elsewhere on the forum - It's the Aarvis, sold under many names, Hewitt Cheviot probably the best known. It's been suggested they've bought up some redundant stock from Beyercycles (sp?), they're certainly priced cheaper than when sold elsewhere.
Last edited by PH on 11 Oct 2016, 7:40pm, edited 2 times in total.

reohn2
Posts: 37367
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby reohn2 » 11 Oct 2016, 7:34pm

PH wrote:Discussed elsewhere on the forum - It's the Arvis, sold under many names, Hewitt Cheviot probably the best known.


Is that a fact or an assumption?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

PH
Posts: 8070
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby PH » 11 Oct 2016, 7:38pm

reohn2 wrote:
PH wrote:Discussed elsewhere on the forum - It's the Arvis, sold under many names, Hewitt Cheviot probably the best known.


Is that a fact or an assumption?

Judge for yourself
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109407&p=1055387&hilit=spa+elan#p1055387
This one is better with Colin confirming it
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109407&hilit=spa+elan&start=15#p1054432

Bonefishblues
Posts: 7147
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Oct 2016, 7:41pm

reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:My initial thoughts were:

Why 631 versus 725 - differences? (weight, feel, price?) 631 is £100 cheaper but is that frame or equipment?
Frame geometry identical to tourer (sizing is different)?
Frame only?
Would you recommend the 631 Tour over the Tourer for certain roles and vice versa?


I can't find that information on Spa's website.

TBH I think Spa's bikes could/perhaps are/if not should be making a big dent in a certain Somerset company's sales.

Same or similar for a goodly shed less money's my impression.

reohn2
Posts: 37367
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby reohn2 » 11 Oct 2016, 7:45pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:My initial thoughts were:

Why 631 versus 725 - differences? (weight, feel, price?) 631 is £100 cheaper but is that frame or equipment?
Frame geometry identical to tourer (sizing is different)?
Frame only?
Would you recommend the 631 Tour over the Tourer for certain roles and vice versa?


I can't find that information on Spa's website.

TBH I think Spa's bikes could/perhaps are/if not should be making a big dent in a certain Somerset company's sales.

Same or similar for a goodly shed less money's my impression.

Well I didn't like saying so but seeing as you mention it.......
PS,Spa's could even be better.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 9968
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby horizon » 11 Oct 2016, 7:48pm

PH wrote:Discussed elsewhere on the forum - It's the Aravis, sold under many names, Hewitt Cheviot probably the best known. It's been suggested they've bought up some redundant stock from Beyercycles (sp?), they're certainly priced cheaper than when sold elsewhere.


I would go with that. The blue frame looks a different colour though - I thought the Byercycles was a bit metallic but I could be wrong. Unless of course Spa have their own paint job done (at the factory). It does say:

"built to our specification"
The experience of travel is something that you have to pay for but can never buy. Ho Ri Zon Chinese philosopher

pwa
Posts: 11147
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby pwa » 11 Oct 2016, 7:50pm

The frames made by that Somerset place have neat welds (do the Spa steel frames?) and nice stickers. Spa's stickers are rubbish. But apart from that I can't see what paying the Somerset premium gets you. Both retailers know their stuff and will swap parts around to suit you.

reohn2
Posts: 37367
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby reohn2 » 11 Oct 2016, 7:51pm

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
PH wrote:Discussed elsewhere on the forum - It's the Arvis, sold under many names, Hewitt Cheviot probably the best known.


Is that a fact or an assumption?

Judge for yourself
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109407&p=1055387&hilit=spa+elan#p1055387
This one is better with Colin confirming it
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109407&hilit=spa+elan&start=15#p1054432


Thanks I was unaware of that,it answers a few questions that sprang to mind.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

PH
Posts: 8070
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Postby PH » 11 Oct 2016, 8:16pm

horizon wrote:[
I would go with that. The blue frame looks a different colour though - I thought the Byercycles was a bit metallic but I could be wrong. Unless of course Spa have their own paint job done (at the factory). It does say:
"built to our specification"

I don't know what the current situation is, but when I bought my Hewitt Cheviot 13 years ago, the frames were being imported unpainted and ex frame builder Mike Kowal was painting them and adding extra braze ons if wanted. The decals on all those I've seen have been under lacquer. whatever the name was.
I like my Hewitt, not my most ridden bike but always a pleasure. I went to try one after reading CJs positive review (He bought one himself) When later reviewing the Spa tourer (Which he then also bought the ti version of) he said something like, there were only small geometry differences but all in the right direction. So it seems an odd choice to me, other than price, for Spa to stock them both, though this is just idle chatter, it's their business.