SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
horizon

Re: SPA CYCLES 631 Tour Special

Post by horizon »

I suppose this is when I would like all firms to put more info on their website (which I think Thorn do well) along the lines of "this bike is better for light touring, this one is cheaper etc". The worst are firms like Dawes who have always used puff like "all your friends will give you envious glances when you ride this bike". Ugh!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

horizon wrote:I suppose this is when I would like all firms to put more info on their website (which I think Thorn do well) along the lines of "this bike is better for light touring, this one is cheaper etc". The worst are firms like Dawes who have always used puff like "all your friends will give you envious glances when you ride this bike". Ugh!

It's hard to see what more you want, it shouldn't be too difficult to work out which is cheaper for yourself and a lot of the other stuff is very subjective and what might be the right answer for you could be the wrong one for me. Such things are probably better as a conversation and some retailers are better than others in that regard. Or talk to owners/riders, buying a new bike is always going to be a leap in the dark, but there's never been a better time to shine a bit of light on it.
niggle

Post by niggle »

The Aravis frames were available in touring (wide tyre clearance and canti brake bosses) and Audax (less tyre clearance, pivot brakes) versions and in blue or red, just as the Spa 631 frames are. Also all the frame details appear identical, such as identical styled traditional seatpost clamp, braze ons on back of fork legs, pump peg on left seatstay, etc. plus any apparent difference in colour shades likely to be due to lighting, camera settings and variations in web picture representation IMO and frames probably shipped painted with no decals then decals added and lacquered over by distributor according to retailer's requirements:

The 631 frames go down to a 44cm seat tube size, though obviously with a significant top tube slope, whilst still being built for 700c wheeels, the Spa steel tourer frames only go down to 48cm and that option is for 26" wheels, so one advantage is to offer something for people needing a very small frame and/or not wanting 26" wheels. Frame geometry would be useful to see how/if the 44cm frame avoids toe overlap..

EDIT: Cheviot originally pictured was an SE with 725 tubing, pic now of a red Cheviot, Cheviots come in red or green so maybe I am wrong about frames being painted by manufacturer...
Last edited by niggle on 12 Oct 2016, 11:36am, edited 1 time in total.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH: I take your point but let's just take the issue of 631. It's never quite clear why certain bikes are built in 520, 631 or 725 (though all are good). Was it chance? Did a job lot come on the market?

So Spa say for example that "we've been able to build a cheaper bike, perhaps a bit stronger than 725 to take a few knocks and almost as light."

Just their take on it would be nice - what is this bike about? I hope this doesn't make me appear ignorant.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

niggle wrote: so maybe I am wrong about frames being painted by manufacturer...

In the case of the Hewitt you are, or were when I bought mine, note the point about Hewitts offering extra braze ons.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

horizon wrote: .... - what is this bike about?...

if it is a job lot of NOS frames (which the limited range of available sizes does suggest...) then the answer could be 'expediency'...?

If they are such, but sell well and there is a reasonable profit in it, I'm sure that Spa would get some more in...

I think they are nice enough frames BTW, (I have a Hewitt frame myself).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
niggle

Post by niggle »

PH wrote:
niggle wrote: so maybe I am wrong about frames being painted by manufacturer...

In the case of the Hewitt you are, or were when I bought mine, note the point about Hewitts offering extra braze ons.

Point duly noted :D but interesting that the old Byercycles Avaris and current Spa 631 came/come in red and blue and compare to Spa cycles' Henry Ford style approach to all their other steel frames' colour.
PH

Post by PH »

niggle wrote:compare to Spa cycles' Henry Ford style approach to all their other steel frames' colour.

Spa frames have been available in a choice of colours for at least a year...
horizon

Post by horizon »

Brucey wrote:
I think they are nice enough frames BTW, (I have a Hewitt frame myself).

cheers

Thanks Brucey, that's useful to know.
horizon

Post by horizon »

niggle: thanks for the background info and pics. Do you reckon the paint job on the Spa is different (albeit blue)?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

horizon wrote:Just their take on it would be nice - what is this bike about?

For what it’s worth, I agree. And I notice the new Elan does have something along those lines (under the “Style” section here).

PH wrote:
niggle wrote:compare to Spa cycles' Henry Ford style approach to all their other steel frames' colour.

Spa frames have been available in a choice of colours for at least a year...

Not the Audax.
niggle

Post by niggle »

horizon wrote:niggle: thanks for the background info and pics. Do you reckon the paint job on the Spa is different (albeit blue)?

I have never seen either in the flesh, though I was interested in the Avaris Audax at one point (but went with a Genesis Equilibrium in the end). I do not think anyone can really judge whether the colour is the same or not without seeing them both together.
A couple more internet pics of blue Avaris frames to help confuse the issue (2nd one is an Audax):

and then I found this so really totally confused :shock: :

I also obviously did not know about colour options for Spa steel frames :roll:
niggle

Post by niggle »

Correction: the Cheviot comes in Flamboyant Red or Flamboyant Blue, the green ones I have seen pics of are Cheviot SEs with 725 tubing.

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/bikes-2/c ... ring-cycle

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/bikes-2/c ... plete-bike

EDIT: which is exactly the same as the Byercycles Aravis colour choices were...

EDIT2: but Spa call their colours Gloss Red & Gloss Blue...
PH

Post by PH »

niggle wrote:Correction: the Cheviot comes in Flamboyant Red or Flamboyant Blue, the green ones I have seen pics of are Cheviot SEs with 725 tubing.

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/bikes-2/c ... ring-cycle

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/bikes-2/c ... plete-bike

EDIT: which is exactly the same as the Byercycles Aravis colour choices were...

EDIT2: but Spa call their colours Gloss Red & Gloss Blue...

I'm not convinced you're comparing like with like. Flamboyant is a translucent paint over a silver (Or gold?) base, light shines through the topcoat and is reflected from the base, it's a nice finish though has a reputation for being fragile. Gloss is just that, traditionally a gloss lacquer over a mat base.
It could be that they're the same and someone is misusing the terms, it wouldn't be the first time...
Here's my Cheviot (SE) in it original guise and Cortina Grey, I've also ridden the non SE Cheviot and I'd be surprised if anyone could tell the difference in a blind test.
ImageArdnamurchan by Paul, on Flickr
And more recently, now straight bar and Midnight Blue, not the best photo but it is after midnight
ImageSkeggy overnight-1 by Paul, on Flickr
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Well it is Midnight Blue :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden