Brake / STI compatability

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cavasta

Brake / STI compatability

Post by cavasta »

Are Shimano CX70 canti brakes compatible with Shimano Tiagra 4500 9 speed STIs?

I've read somewhere (can't remember where) that the CX70s work fine with the latest version of the Tiagra (10 spd 4600) but performance might be compromised on the older (9 spd) version. Is there any truth in this? If so, will any compromise in performance render them an unsuitable pairing?
531colin

Re: Brake / STI compatability

Post by 531colin »

Whereas there may be slight differences in the cable pull of the 2 levers, I think you can get so much adjustment of the mechanical advantage of those brakes that the lever differences will be irrelevant.
I would set the brake arms up to be mid-profile using whichever spacer is suitable for your rim width (because mid-profile offers the best compromise between MA and absence of regressive action) and I would replace their fixed length straddle with an adjustable straddle (because this lets you adjust the MA).....you will end up with something set up about like this.....

lots of information in this thread....http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57410&start=15
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree with Colin; those brakes are (when fitted with adjustable length straddles) adjustable for MA well beyond what would be required to compensate for the difference in cable pull between those two levers.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cavasta

Post by cavasta »

Thanks for the replies, both of which are useful, interesting and appreciated. ☺