Rolling tests

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PBA

Re: Rolling tests

Post by PBA »

Brucey wrote:...
Mgh ~= (MV^2)/2 + (mv^2)/2 + A + R

where
h = change in height
A = net aero losses (joules)
R = rolling resistance losses (including suspension losses, bearing losses etc) (joules)
M = total mass of bike plus rider (kg)
V = speed at the end of the slope (m/s)
m = mass of rim, tube, tyre, and about half the weight of the spokes (kg)
v = speed of rim, tube, tyre etc

I'm sure this is entirely correct. Mick's test though, takes him from a standstill at the top of a hill to a standstill at some point along a flat section. I think the change in potential energy is therefore entirely converted to losses. At the low speeds achieved, I guess that aero losses wouldn't be massive and the difference from one bike to another could be ignored? Inertia developed in getting the wheels turning then serves to propel the bike forward once it's on the flat? During the deceleration phase, the distance travelled might relate nearly directly to R, albeit deceleration from differing initial velocities. Mgh would be greater for Moulton but Mercian travels further. Whatever the losses are, aren't they mostly covered by the term R? Does R then require further breaking down? It is clearly necessary to keep Mick active on ever more elaborate tests!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol:

I can only think about the feel of the difference. Mathematics aside, it comes down to deceleration and how far a rollout would be.
I feel that Moulton and Mercian are on a par at rolling (now that the tyres are better on Moulton), but the speed that the two bikes set off feels different even though it's from the same place on the slope. The further run with Mercian is because of the set-off speed.

I can't measure this, only feel it.

Why a heavier 20" bike sets off slower than a lighter 700c bike, I can only guess.
It's the difference in wheel-size that is the crux of the matter and not the weight IMHO.

Tell you what, why don't I make the two bikes the same weight and try again?
Stand by for some accurate weight differences ................. tomorrow.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

PBA wrote: I'm sure this is entirely correct.

it contains some approximations but it at least contains terms that you can grapple with rather than things you can't so easily.

Mick's test though, takes him from a standstill at the top of a hill to a standstill at some point along a flat section. I think the change in potential energy is therefore entirely converted to losses.

You are correct although the expression is intended to describe what happens during the acceleration phase, since Mick has noticed the speed discrepancy. What happens after that is all the KE terms then turn into losses like you say and (at any given speed) a machine with large heavy wheels ought to have an advantage.

At the low speeds achieved, I guess that aero losses wouldn't be massive and the difference from one bike to another could be ignored?

ideally yes but in reality the Moulton will be different; aerodynamically speaking the frameset is a disaster (it reminds me of a stringbag biplane) but then again there is probably a 'win' in that the small wheels are thought to be less draggy. Air is pretty thick and sticky stuff really; the airspeed doesn't need to be that high before it can be a really significant loss.

However in Mick's tests the thing that worries me most is the variation in wind speed from day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute. Ideally you would take both bikes and run then at the same time or many times over, back to back.

Inertia developed in getting the wheels turning then serves to propel the bike forward once it's on the flat?

yes, but if that were the main effect here you would expect the Mercian to accelerate more slowly and then to roll further, rather than to accelerate faster and roll further.

Does R then require further breaking down?

well, lumped into that are all the things that are not 'aero losses'; so somewhere in R are terms that describe

- the drag in the wheel bearings
- the drag in the freewheel
- the suspension losses
- the drag in the tyres
etc.

the first two ought to be insignificant but the second two won't be. Devising tests that measure these things accurately and realistically is very difficult; if it were easy we'd all be doing it!

FWIW I have occasionally tried doing rolling tests at low speed on an almost flat (perhaps fractionally downhill) road. Me and my chum ride alongside and then freewheel together when we think our speeds are exactly equal. The slightest error in speed between the two bikes completely messes up the test. After a hundred yards we have both slowed considerably and there is usually a clear difference between the distance travelled by both bikes. We then swap bikes and do the same thing again. I can report that the usual outcome is (if the two bikes are similar) that I roll further than my chum, because I'm heavier (but about the same height). We usually choose an evening condition where there is no wind or just a breath of following wind.

The road isn't super bumpy but it isn't perfectly smooth either and it seems that the exact line taken can affect the results a little. The other thing that appears to happen is that at certain speeds there is more of a difference in the ways the bikes roll than at others, which may indicate that the road surface has bumps in it that do or don't resonate with either bike and affect the suspension losses.

Surprising results in these tests include that (after rolling 100 yards at less than 5mph) my carrier bike (which is on Vittoria Hypers and has an SA IGH) is usually within two yards of my chum's carbon road bike (which is on GP4000s in 25mm). Once on the move properly (10mph or more) it is very clear that the carrier bike is hard work; this is because of the aero drag of the bike and the very upright riding position. Rolling resistance-wise they are more similar.

I wonder if Mick could get a chum to help in a similar way?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chum?
Willing to ride up Gunnislake Hill?
Not that many chums of mine would do that! :lol:
I'll give that some thought, maybe loading a bike into a car ..................

Not convinced about wind and weather variations. I've been checking regularly, and there's no real differences seen. If it's windy, it's obvious, but generally it's sheltered and non-windy. Whatever the weather - within reason - I get the same results.

Weigh me holding a bike whilst standing on the bathroom scales, then weigh me separately. Subtract the two.
I'm aware of Mercian's weight, but I rechecked anyway.

Weights as promised, but TBH, I'm very much surprised.
Mercian 23lbs
Moulton 26.5lbs.
That means that they's only 3.5lbs in it. (I would have expected Moulton to be more like 30lbs)

If it's not the weight causing a momentum difference, it must be the smaller wheels ............. or just my imagination.
It's rolling resistance differences in the tyres.
Mick F. Cornwall
PBA

Post by PBA »

Mick F wrote:...If it's not the weight causing a momentum difference, it must be the smaller wheels ............. or just my imagination.
It's rolling resistance differences in the tyres.

As Brucey says, the losses are:
- the drag in the wheel bearings
- the drag in the freewheel
- the suspension losses
- the drag in the tyres

Your wheel bearings are likely to be immaculate on both bikes, as will be your freewheels - but are they the same? You could compare at home by just spinning the wheels and timing how long it takes to them to stop. If there is any apparent difference, the test method would need to be standardized and consistent for both bikes but that shouldn't be too difficult to contrive.

At a standstill there would be no suspension movement so this would only become a concern as you get moving. If you really are experiencing a slower start that seems unlikely to be significant.

All that is left is the tyres! Having chosen your tyres the only thing really variable is the inflation pressure and as you don't claim much variability across your runs it may be that the performance is reasonably flat over whatever variation there has been in pressures? Do you perhaps travel further when the surface is damp? As it's Gunnislake, I'm guessing it's not unusual for there to have been rain!

Brucey also confirmed that he has experienced significant variability with not vastly different tests. To me it suggests that consistency in results may be partially due to your expectations or the specifics of the testing site? I think it warrants looking for alternative test locations with differing topography and road surfaces.