CANNONDALE BAD BOY - WIDE TYRES

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
somebloke

CANNONDALE BAD BOY - WIDE TYRES

Post by somebloke »

I have a Cannondale Bad Boy. It's currently fitted with the 'factory fitted' Schwalbe Kojak tyres 25mm. There's loads of clearance on the frame and brakes are disc. I'd like to fit some tyres that will roll well but be usable on cycle tracks, tow paths, etc. Rims are C3? 700c.
So, questions are:
1. Could I fit wider tyres? Maybe 32 or 35? Will the rims be suitable?
2. Cycle cross tyres maybe? Conti Cyclocross Speed? What tyres would forum members consider?
Any opinions, experience or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Antan1

Re: CANNONDALE BAD BOY - WIDE TYRES

Post by Antan1 »

Hi, I have 28mm Marathon plus on mine, they leave enough clearance for the mudguards, without the guards the rims and the frame clearance would be ok with the sizes you state.
Maybe somebody could reccommend you a suitable tyre within your sizes
Rob
Cannondale SL4 MTB. Trek Checkpoint ALR5
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Antan1 wrote:Hi, I have 28mm Marathon plus on mine, they leave enough clearance for the mudguards, without the guards the rims and the frame clearance would be ok with the sizes you state.
Maybe somebody could reccommend you a suitable tyre within your sizes
Rob

Many thanks. I don't have mudguards so it looks like the wider tyres are viable.
meic

Post by meic »

I did a quick search (as nobody else has come up with answers in the last two days) and I cant find any details as to the dimensions of your rims other than they are 700's.

If you could find the inside width of your rims, by measuring if need be, then you can find charts which give the recognised suitable widths of tyres for that rim size.
After that you can choose if you want to exceed them, as many cyclists do choose to do after considering it.

One of the "selling points" of your bike is that it is can take 26" wheels with fat tyres instead of the 700's, if the internet gossip is to be believed.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If you measure your rim width at their widest point you can guesstimate the internal width(- about 2 to 3 mm) without removing the tyres so if the rim's total width is 25mm - 3mm = 22mm ,etc.
If the internal rim dimension is less than say 16mm you're limited to about 32mm tyres over that an you'll be OK with 35mm,these are actual size tyres,Schwalbe and Continental usually measure up quite small anything from -3 mm in smaller sizes to -6mm in their wider tyres.
All this of course depends on your frame clearances but seeing as you've no mudguards fitted it should be easily estimated.

For tyre recommendations if you're happy with slicks,look no further than Vittoria Voyager Hyper:- http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/v ... lding-tyre
I ride these tyres on pretty much every surface,the only thing they don't like is mud and wet grass.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
burnsie

Post by burnsie »

Hi. Not quite sure if this relevant, but I had a bad boy and needed to replace the tyres. I got some nice white ones as a contrast to the back frame, and fitted them-but there was a problem with the front one, even though it was the same size as the originals, in that when the wheel was spun, the tyre would make contact with the valve for the headstock suspension which is on the underside of the front tube. I ended up getting schwalbe marathons if I recall-same size nominally, but obviously a tad smaller and ran freely-so it might be worth bearing my experience in mind. I know you're asking about width rather than depth, but beware!!

Dave
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

meic wrote:I did a quick search (as nobody else has come up with answers in the last two days) and I cant find any details as to the dimensions of your rims other than they are 700's.

If you could find the inside width of your rims, by measuring if need be, then you can find charts which give the recognised suitable widths of tyres for that rim size.
After that you can choose if you want to exceed them, as many cyclists do choose to do after considering it.

One of the "selling points" of your bike is that it is can take 26" wheels with fat tyres instead of the 700's, if the internet gossip is to be believed.

Thanks.
I have now measured the rims. Outside rim width - 21mm, so inside will be about 19mm. The rims are Maddux C2 700c. Clearance looks as if it will be okay but I am concerned about wider tyres rolling off the rim.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

reohn2 wrote:If you measure your rim width at their widest point you can guesstimate the internal width(- about 2 to 3 mm) without removing the tyres so if the rim's total width is 25mm - 3mm = 22mm ,etc.
If the internal rim dimension is less than say 16mm you're limited to about 32mm tyres over that an you'll be OK with 35mm,these are actual size tyres,Schwalbe and Continental usually measure up quite small anything from -3 mm in smaller sizes to -6mm in their wider tyres.
All this of course depends on your frame clearances but seeing as you've no mudguards fitted it should be easily estimated.

For tyre recommendations if you're happy with slicks,look no further than Vittoria Voyager Hyper:- http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/v ... lding-tyre
I ride these tyres on pretty much every surface,the only thing they don't like is mud and wet grass.

Thanks for this. Based on this, I reckon internal rim width is 18 or 19mm.
I'm looking at cyclocross style tyres as I ride an old railway track that gets a but claggy during the winter. I do have a set of Conti Travel Contacts 35mm on another bike. I could try one of those to see what it looks like on the Bad Boy rims.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

burnsie wrote:Hi. Not quite sure if this relevant, but I had a bad boy and needed to replace the tyres. I got some nice white ones as a contrast to the back frame, and fitted them-but there was a problem with the front one, even though it was the same size as the originals, in that when the wheel was spun, the tyre would make contact with the valve for the headstock suspension which is on the underside of the front tube. I ended up getting schwalbe marathons if I recall-same size nominally, but obviously a tad smaller and ran freely-so it might be worth bearing my experience in mind. I know you're asking about width rather than depth, but beware!!

Dave

Thanks.
My Bad Boy doesn't have the headshok. Just ridged forks so I should be okay there. I know Schwalbe Marathons are good tyres but I'm trying to get something that will cope a bit better off road. I have no experience of Cycle Cross tyres but figured they might be what I need.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

somebloke wrote:Thanks for this. Based on this, I reckon internal rim width is 18 or 19mm.
I'm looking at cyclocross style tyres as I ride an old railway track that gets a but claggy during the winter. I do have a set of Conti Travel Contacts 35mm on another bike. I could try one of those to see what it looks like on the Bad Boy rims.

I you're riding on claggy and heavy surfaces mostly,I'd suggest Schwalbe LandCruisers,they roll pretty well on tarmac and handle heavier of road conditions pretty well without getting clogged up.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Antan1

Post by Antan1 »

Hi, if your rims are the same as mine, Maddux 622 x 16c the internal rim width is 16mm with an overall width of 21mm
Rob
Cannondale SL4 MTB. Trek Checkpoint ALR5
meic

Post by meic »

Here is the table
http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/reifenmasse.html
They dont cater for 16mm (I havent seen one myself either) but say 15mm is suitable for up to 32mm and 17mm is suitable up to 52mm.
The leap between the two sizes makes me think if I am willing to go to 52mm on a 17mm, then I would also be happy to stick a 37mm on a 15mm rim.
Yma o Hyd
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Antan1 wrote:Hi, if your rims are the same as mine, Maddux 622 x 16c the internal rim width is 16mm with an overall width of 21mm
Rob

Thank you. This sounds about right.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

meic wrote:Here is the table
http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/reifenmasse.html
They dont cater for 16mm (I havent seen one myself either) but say 15mm is suitable for up to 32mm and 17mm is suitable up to 52mm.
The leap between the two sizes makes me think if I am willing to go to 52mm on a 17mm, then I would also be happy to stick a 37mm on a 15mm rim.

That's encouraging. The tyres I'm looking at are 35mm so it looks like I'll get away with it. It has been suggested the Conti tyres are narrower too, so it's just a question of deciding which tyres to go for.
Thank you for your efforts.
meic

Post by meic »

The tyres I'm looking at are 35mm so it looks like I'll get away with it.

You'll certainly get away with it, I have been running 35mm Kojaks and 35mm Marathon Racers on 15 and 17mm rims for ages.
Yma o Hyd