Head torches

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Edwards

Re: Head torches

Postby Edwards » 9 Nov 2016, 10:27am

I have found that for riding on towpaths a headtorch is better than lights fixed to the bike. I now prefer to use the headtorch as my main light to see by and the fixed bike lights for being seen and complying with the law.
I like the ability of being able to point the light at things and not have it shining on water when turning for bridges etc. I can also flick the beam across bonnets and others things when on the road.

The Aldi Cree Zoom is a good cheap option with a good distance for the small narrow beam. I have found this the most useful when another cyclist was coming towards me with the weapons grade system on his bike. I just lifted the beam into his face and got him to reduce power on his unfriendly light.

I also have a Petzl Nao the spot is not so narrow but the overall lighting is better.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 9 Nov 2016, 10:29am

jb wrote:
Graham wrote:Try fixing a puncture with a dedicated bike light . . . .. it is er, "sub-optimal" to say the least !

You need good teeth :D

For less than a tenner you can have 'optimal' lighting and less dental worries :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 9 Nov 2016, 7:27pm

Edwards wrote: ... I also have a Petzl Nao the spot is not so narrow but the overall lighting is better.

Any comments about the facility for setting it using a computer? In particular, my understanding from reading the manufacturer's blurb is that at standard settings, other lighting eg street lights or oncoming headlamps cause it to dim automatically: not necessarily the best way to get seen. Can that be overridden?

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 9 Nov 2016, 7:35pm

On the Mountain Rescue Team we used Petzl, because they work.
The Road Goes On Forever

Abradable Chin

Postby Abradable Chin » 9 Nov 2016, 9:40pm

I bought an attractive Ever Ready head torch from B&M (the discount store) recently for ~£3. The LED is one of those big yellow lozenge COB types, so the light is diffuse and doesn't throw, but it was a good torch for the price. I think they might have a deal to use the Ever Ready brand. I haven't seen them in stock during my last couple of visits, else I'd have bought another.
I always find with head torches that the elastic perishes first, and a new band is almost as expensive as a new torch.

Abradable Chin

Postby Abradable Chin » 9 Nov 2016, 9:46pm

squeaker wrote:"Do not use re-chargeable batteries in Gamma, this will invalidate the warranty." Wot's that all about :shock:

Rechargeables don't make contact with the Gamma contacts because the bottom of the batteries are dead flat. Alkalines have a pie dish shape. I bent the contact on mine so I could use NiMH batteries. Strange that they haven't fixed it over the years.

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 10 Nov 2016, 6:25am

thirdcrank wrote:
Edwards wrote: ... I also have a Petzl Nao the spot is not so narrow but the overall lighting is better.

Any comments about the facility for setting it using a computer? In particular, my understanding from reading the manufacturer's blurb is that at standard settings, other lighting eg street lights or oncoming headlamps cause it to dim automatically: not necessarily the best way to get seen. Can that be overridden?

I have never tried the computer thing out so do not know about that. There is an over ride type thing, if you turn and hold the switch (just longer than to turn off) then it switches to full power.
Sorry for the delay.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 10 Nov 2016, 9:56am

Edwards wrote: ... Sorry for the delay.

Not at all - a turnaround time of under 12 hrs seems pretty swift to me and thanks for the ....... enlightenment. :D

cotswolds

Postby cotswolds » 10 Nov 2016, 10:48am

Graham wrote:Try fixing a puncture with a dedicated bike light . . . .. it is er, "sub-optimal" to say the least !

I discovered this when I strained my jaw trying to hold a Cateye front light in my mouth to fix a puncture. Since then I've carried a head torch. I regard it as essential since I switched to dynamo, the most trivial problem can be a showstopper without light.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Nov 2016, 1:20pm

cotswolds wrote:I discovered this when I strained my jaw trying to hold a Cateye front light in my mouth to fix a puncture. Since then I've carried a head torch. I regard it as essential since I switched to dynamo, the most trivial problem can be a showstopper without light.

That's a very good point,and the only negative I've read about dynamo lighting :)
I cycle therefore I am.

truckturner

Postby truckturner » 10 Nov 2016, 5:37pm

I replaced my 14 year old petzel zipka which had literaly worn out as I used it every day with a Silva head torch. Bought this for its USB charging facility but It fell to bits on my last tour. Silva equipment is usually top notch not this item though. Bought a new Zipka in June much brighter than the old one and use it every day generally to read something as my eyesight is not great, On the bike I was impressed with being able to see the road ahead. For me absolutely essential bit of kit. Also bought a basic tikka for £19 which is far brighter than my old myo xp which was state of the art in 2004

Bought a few mega bright cheap Chinese cree torches over the years the mechanics seem to be very fragile and while bright they don't last long

Peter

Steve

Postby Steve » 10 Nov 2016, 8:22pm

Very pleased with my Lenser H7r2.... though don't usually take it out on the bike.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Nov 2016, 12:55pm

reohn2 wrote:Does anyone keep one in the bag at this time of year for emergency use either for breakdowns or as a backup be seen light?
I've had a Petzl Tikkina for a few years now and whilst there are other better and more powerful Petzl h/lights,I think it's great for what I use it for.
That said I saw this on Ebay:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401066709020? ... EBIDX%3AIT
and this one:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361484083553? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Both claim to be more powerful than the Petzl,they get good reviews,and also look very similar in build quality to the Petzl.Anyway cut a long one short I ordered both,the cheaper of the two for my S in L who commutes on a towpath so will make a good back up for him.
Anyone any experience or any other makes and models?

I'll post this in the camping section too.

I've received my headlights and can say the more powerful(250 lumens) of the two is *BRIGHT*,I became aware of this when all the birds came out singing when switched it on it back garden last night :shock: :wink:
This one has three settings,two red LEDs for map reading,and a BRIGHT and less bright.The BRIGHT mode is incredible,and the less bright one is still very good.
Build quality appears to be very good with rubberised on/off buttons and a rubber gasket around the battery compartment.
The two LED 80 lumen h/torch is of similar quality to it's brighter brother,the switch isn't rubberised but a simple slide switch and I'm not confident it'll be water resistant.It's marginally brighter than my Petzl Tikkina which is an older model with two LED's but a much better switch than the Energiser light.
There's a slight problem with the tilting ratchet on both lights which feels like it'll crack off when tilting downward,but a softer action tilting back up.
I simply tilted them both up and down a quite a few times until the downward tilt softened a bit(I suspect the plastic ratchet edges needed rounding off a bit),they're both now what I consider usable without concern.
For £10 and £6 respectively I'm happy,as both will only get used for emergencies.
If I'd needed them for continual/prolonged use I may have looked at something more expensive,both work well though for their intended use :) .

EDITED for digraceful typos and abysmal spoilling :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Nov 2016, 1:07am, edited 1 time in total.
I cycle therefore I am.

Annoying Twit

Postby Annoying Twit » 12 Nov 2016, 3:17pm

reohn2 wrote:For £10 and £6 respectively I'm happy,both will only get used for emergencies.If I'd them for contual/prolonged use I may have looked at something more expensive,both work well though :) .

Thanks for the review. I've bought one of the £10 ones.

Annoying Twit

Postby Annoying Twit » 18 Nov 2016, 7:40pm

Annoying Twit wrote:
reohn2 wrote:For £10 and £6 respectively I'm happy,both will only get used for emergencies.If I'd them for contual/prolonged use I may have looked at something more expensive,both work well though :) .

Thanks for the review. I've bought one of the £10 ones.

Bright! The head strap is more comfortable than the Aldi one I have. The continuous red light is good for map reading. I'm not sure that the body is too robust though. It'll have to be treated with care. But, the headlight is brighter than my Wilkinson CREE LED light.