Continental 'Top Contact ll' tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
djkemp

Continental 'Top Contact ll' tyres

Post by djkemp »

Hi
Does anyone have experience of using the latest 'Continental Top Contact II' tyres? (And by any chance has anyone compared them to a Schwalbe Marathon Supreme?

Here is a link to the Conti website:[url][/url] http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/commuting- ... contact-ii[url][/url]

Background: I'm looking for 700 x 32 strong but fast touring tyres that can cope with a little bit of dry off road tracks on occasions, and give a comfortable ride on tarmac roads which are far from perfect! Sounds a lot to ask I know, but for years I used 'Continental Top Touring' which suited my needs perfectly. When the last set finally wore out I changed to 'Schwalbe Marathon Supreme' as these seemed to be the 'bees knees' for my intended purpose, from all I read. I bought the more expensive folding version, in a 32mm width. But having fitted them I am very disappointed with how harsh the ride feels, compared to the old Conti Top Touring (at same pressure of 4 bar and with same 32mm width). The Schwalbe Supremes may have their virtues, but supreme comfort is not one of them, in my opinion!

Looking at the Conti range now I see their premium touring tyre is now called the ‘Continental Top Contact II. (Not to be confused with the much cheaper 'Continental Contact II')
Has anyone used the 'Top Contact II' and could comment on comfort of ride, compared to the Schwalbe Supreme?

Buying tyres at this price point is a costly business: The Supremes were £32 each and the 'Top Contact II' are about £38 each, so I'd like to get it right next time!

Any opinions gratefully received.

David
fausto99

Re: Continental 'Top Contact ll' tyres

Post by fausto99 »

Like you I was a big fan and user of Conti Touring tyres and later top Touring 2000 tyres. In 2001, I with two companions did LETJOG via Arran (over 1000 miles) without a single puncture between us. After an enforced break from cycling, I returned to find no Conti Top Touring equivalent, so I went over to GP 4 Season tyres. They rolled very well but I seemed to have had more than my fair share of sidewall punctures which resulted in me scrapping the tyre. I'm now trying Continental Touring Plus tryes. These look very similar to Top Touring 2000 but seem quite heavy but not as expensive as Contact II. I'm always very suspicious of my memory for these subjective observations however so I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with the Contact IIs.
djkemp

Post by djkemp »

Thanks for reply Fausto, but I want to keep the focus of this thread on people's specific experiences of using the 'Continental Top Contact II' tyres.

All manufactures make a range of tyres at different price points. The 'Continental Touring Plus' that you mention are the equivalent of the 'Schwalbe Marathons plus' and have a heavy anti puncture belt. Conti's own website describes them as "For those riders whose only concern is puncture protection". But I need performance too! The GP 4 season you also mention was another tyre by Conti that I looked at closely, but it comes from their racing stable and although I'm tempted to try it for speed, I fear it's not tough enough to withstand sidewall damage from sharp stones on the odd offroad tracks I use. And I want to stick to 32mm. In fact, since April '16 the GP 4 season has been available in 32mm, but only from one supplier (Tredz) and at an eye watering £55!
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I cannot speak from personal experience but can point out that Bicycle Rolling Resistance has tested both the Marathon Supreme and the Top Contact II and the latter was found wanting in terms of rolling resistance. It may have other virtues and probably does, Continental being a highly competent manufacturer, but it may not be fast enough for your tastes.

Note that the Marathon Supreme keeps changing and the one tested there may not be the one you use or the one available in the local shop.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I think that Guy Martin has experience of Top Contact tyres when he rode at 112mph on a beach
They were the 26" version, you might not be as quick on 700c :wink:
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

I've been using Continental Contact 700 x 32mm for a couple of years, and I love 'em. Hard wearing, and not a single puncture. And, these are the 'ordinary' Contacts that my new bike came with, not the fancy Top Contact II verson.
djkemp

Post by djkemp »

Re rolling resistance: As has been pointed out on tyre discussion threads in the past, these rolling resistance tests are carried out on a smooth steel roller and do not reproduce the real surfaces we have to ride on! So a stiff tyre like the Marathon Plus does well in their tests, but on the road, unless silky smooth tarmac, the thick rubber and breaker belt do not deflect well over surface imperfections and as a result if feels sluggish, not to mention the weight! The lighter more pliable tyres, like the Top Contact II may not show up as having much advantage in these testes. Which is why it's users personal experiences that I was asking about with the Top Contact II. (Note, NOT the basic version of the Contact - which I'm sure is a good tyre for general use and lots of people may 'love 'em' - but it's not the subject of this thread!).

Message to Robc: Re the Conti GP 4 seasons: Tredz are still the only place to stock 32mm width. Evans, Wiggle and many others currently only stock sizes up to 28mm.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

No one's mentioned these yet:- http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/v ... lding-tyre
Fast,long lasting,and supremely comfortable.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Message to Robc: Re the Conti GP 4 seasons: Tredz are still the only place to stock 32mm width. Evans, Wiggle and many others currently only stock sizes up to 28mm.

Oops! Misread it.
Bike 24 have them at 36.99 Euros:
https://www.bike24.com/p2428.html

They are fairly new so I suppose it will take time for them to become widely available.
RickH

Post by RickH »

robc02 wrote:

Oops! Misread it.
Bike 24 have them at 36.99 Euros:
https://www.bike24.com/p2428.html

They are fairly new so I suppose it will take time for them to become widely available.

I was just going to list the Bike24 ones but you hit post before I did. :lol:

I've bought stuff from them a few times & found them reliable. Although drop in the exchange rate has made them less competitive on price but they still have a wider variety in some areas than most UK suppliers.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
djkemp

Post by djkemp »

To RicH and RobC: Are you guys using GP 4 seasons tyres and if so have you ever taken them off road?
robc02

Post by robc02 »

djkemp wrote:To RicH and RobC: Are you guys using GP 4 seasons tyres and if so have you ever taken them off road?

I use them on my main commuter / winter trainer. I have occasionally used it off-road, on canal towpaths and local bridleways. They seem to take it OK, but are not my favourites for this type of riding as they are only 28mm. Having said that, some of the local lanes are not a lot better than beaten tracks and this is where I do quite a lot of my winter weekend riding.
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

but I want to keep the focus of this thread...

and lots of people may 'love 'em' - but it's not the subject of this thread!

It's a public board. Deal with it.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

The problem with going off-topic on a thread is that once someone does so, the OP's qeustion is lost in the swamp and never gets answered
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !