Glueless Puncture Patches And Slime Inner Tubes And Slime Tyre Liners

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxychick

Glueless Puncture Patches And Slime Inner Tubes And Slime Tyre Liners

Post by foxychick »

Are these any good or are they a waste of time? Anyone used them or can anyone recommend a decent puncture patch kit? Also do any cyclists on here use slime inner tubes or slime tyre liners? What are they like do they really work? Looking to use them on my mountain bike.
Last edited by foxychick on 6 Nov 2016, 9:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
freiston

Re: Glueless Puncture Patches

Post by freiston »

If you mean self-adhesive patches, I've tried a couple of makes back in the nineties - my experience was that they didn't always work first time (had to be removed and re-mended) and the mend isn't always permanent. They could get you home if you use one on the roadside but I would not rely on them for a permanent repair.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

They do have glue of course just not in a tube!

They are the only thing I've used for @ 10 years - I use Park but the Slime ones seem quite good too. Of course you still need to prepare the tube but I've never had one lift or fail to stick unlike the originals which were terrible!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

freiston wrote:If you mean self-adhesive patches, I've tried a couple of makes back in the nineties - my experience was that they didn't always work first time (had to be removed and re-mended) and the mend isn't always permanent. They could get you home if you use one on the roadside but I would not rely on them for a permanent repair.

Those originals were terrible, the current crop are much much better!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I tried one once, maybe four years ago.

Note the words "one" and "once". :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
MikewsMITH2

Re: Glueless Puncture Patches And Slime Inner Tubes

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

I found the slime inner tubes just sprayed the stuff all over the frame and didn't repair the puncture. I left the last one in a bin somewhere out on the road.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
RickH

Post by RickH »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:I found the slime inner tubes just sprayed the stuff all over the frame and didn't repair the puncture. I left the last one in a bin somewhere out on the road.

I've not used them myself, but someone I was riding with on LEJOG found the same experience as you.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Mike and rick was that on road bike tyres?
PH

Post by PH »

Park patches seem to work fine, but by carrying a tube or two it's been many years and thousands miles since I've had to repair a tube by the roadside. Fixing at home, I prefer to use the normal patch.
I tried slime tubes some years ago when I had a commute that included a lot of cycle track. This was with 700 x 32mm tyres at 80psi and I think the pressure makes a difference. They worked for a while. then were beaten by a shard of glass and the green stuff was everywhere... When it was all cleaned up I could see where it had sealed a couple of holes.
IMO, decent pump, good levers and a bit of practice and getting the occasional puncture shouldn't be a big deal.
robgul

Post by robgul »

My 2p would be to avoid both!

S/a patches seem to vary enormaously - and if they aren't "fresh" or have been a hot environment they just don't stick.

Slime tubes - you obviously don't know if they work for small punctures as they (should" self-seal - but for anything much more than large pinhole they don't work and fill the tyre case with the chemical. They also have a habit of gumming up valves - and are pretty heavy, with the tendency to roll unevenly (not quite like a clown's bike with eccentric axles but certainly noticeable)

There's no substitute for carrying 2 spare tubes.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
MikewsMITH2

Re: Glueless Puncture Patches And Slime Inner Tubes And Slime Tyre Liners

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Mike and rick was that on road bike tyres?

Yes Continental GP 4000. I don't use either now...
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
531colin

Post by 531colin »

foxychick wrote:Are these any good or are they a waste of time? Anyone used them or can anyone recommend a decent puncture patch kit? Also do any cyclists on here use slime inner tubes or slime tyre liners? What are they like do they really work? Looking to use them on my mountain bike.

This is what works for me.......
Carry 2 spare tubes.
If I get a puncture while I'm out, fit a spare tube.....having removed the thorn from the tyre, at this time of year.
When I get half a dozen punctured tubes, have a patching session at home.......in my view, how you do the repair makes more difference than the brand of the patch/solution/whatever.
I also carry a patch kit.....unused on or off road road for 10 years?

Tyre liners....can slip, can damage the tube.
Slime......cloggs valves, and you can't patch the tube if you want to.
If I was commuting on glass-strewn city streets, I might use marathon plus tyres
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I've used both Park and Lezyne self-adhesive patches, no problems with either.

As ever....PREPARATION.....
robgul

Post by robgul »

531colin wrote:
foxychick wrote:Are these any good or are they a waste of time? Anyone used them or can anyone recommend a decent puncture patch kit? Also do any cyclists on here use slime inner tubes or slime tyre liners? What are they like do they really work? Looking to use them on my mountain bike.

This is what works for me.......
Carry 2 spare tubes.
If I get a puncture while I'm out, fit a spare tube.....having removed the thorn from the tyre, at this time of year.
When I get half a dozen punctured tubes, have a patching session at home.......in my view, how you do the repair makes more difference than the brand of the patch/solution/whatever.
I also carry a patch kit.....unused on or off road road for 10 years?

Tyre liners....can slip, can damage the tube.
Slime......cloggs valves, and you can't patch the tube if you want to.
If I was commuting on glass-strewn city streets, I might use marathon plus tyres

Agree on the patching session - I clamp the patched area between 2 pieces of wood in a vice for 10 minutes to really press the patch home and bond it.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've never been a fan of using slime in an inner tube. I had one pre filled slime tube which suffered a large puncture and it was totally ineffective. This was on a 700c wheel at 80 psi. The slime goo went everywhere. Recently I have tried using a lot less, approx 1/3 the recommended volume in a 26" wheel on the rear of the tandem. I was topping it up from 40 to 60 psi on a weekly basis and I couldn't find a hole in the inner tube despite several attempts. After I put the slime in it holds pressure well and I only need to top it up every 6 weeks. Clearly it has worked on a tiny hole. So far so good fingers crossed that I haven't upset the fairy. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D