Front mudguard and suspension forks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Eammno

Front mudguard and suspension forks

Post by Eammno »

Does anyone have any experience with fitting a mudguard to 26" MTB suspension forks?
I see there's a couple of makes that do mudguards without stays, apparently mounting with a single bolt to the fork bridge.
I was wondering how effective they are, and most importantly do they wibble wobble as badly as I imagine they do?
Alternatively are there any guards that clip to the fork legs? (I'm guessing I might be able to cobble something like this).
Thanks!
iandriver

Re: Front mudguard and suspension forks

Post by iandriver »

1st question. Is the bridge drilled for a mudguard. If yes, you can simply use p clips for the stays with ordinary guards.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

i use a SKS shockblade for my mountain bike,the fitting goes inside the steerer tube and the mudguard slides onto that,i find it pretty good and it doesn't fall off,that is for mountain biking though,where you expect to get a little muddy,sure there are better for commuting out there if that's what you want one for.
bryan.fanson1

Post by bryan.fanson1 »

I have Topeak Defenders fitted front and rear to all our mtb's. Front fits into the steerer tube and rear is seat post mounted. Both are quick release. Have used them for years, good price too.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my D6603 using hovercraft full of eels.
SimonCT

Post by SimonCT »

Full chromoplastics, been on for years and still in occasional use.

Brackets on sliders are cateye expanding seatpost mounts for back lights.
Top mount is a reuseable zip tie padded with inner tube.

Rear blade is split for suspension.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

bryan.fanson1 wrote:I have Topeak Defenders fitted front and rear to all our mtb's. Front fits into the steerer tube and rear is seat post mounted. Both are quick release. Have used them for years, good price too.

Flushed down the thunderbox : my D6603 using hovercraft full of eels.

+1 for the Defenders - best MTB mudgers I have ever bought - I love the fact you can leave the fitting on the fork and just unclip the guard blades from it. I also like the hinged bracket for the seat tube
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I bodged a full 26" mudguard on a mountain bike but it involved a lot of cable ties. Despite this it worked well enough for a full winters commuting (so basically about twice a week for about 5 months).
Eammno

Post by Eammno »

SimonCT wrote:Image

Full chromoplastics, been on for years and still in occasional use.

Brackets on sliders are cateye expanding seatpost mounts for back lights.
Top mount is a reuseable zip tie padded with inner tube.

Rear blade is split for suspension.

Some great ideas here, good to see it can be done!
I've got some P-clips on order as per Ian's suggestion above, so I'll see how it alll hangs together when they turn up!
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

A few years ago I remember that I did something like THIS, very robust and still working pretty well !!

Eammno

Post by Eammno »

ConRAD wrote:A few years ago I remember that I did something like THIS, very robust and still working pretty well !!

Mine will be very similar as the lower part of the fork leg is tapered. The angle of the stays doesn't look right so it's good to see confirmation that it works :D