What happened to the Rear Shifting article?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
graymee

What happened to the Rear Shifting article?

Postby graymee » 13 Nov 2016, 2:03pm

I went to the Rear Shifting article that I'd bookmarked ages ago. I was expecting to find cable pull tables, info on shiftmates, etc and gear spacings for Shimano, Campy & Sram that used to be there. Unfortunately what seems to be there now is from the Ladybird Book of Gear Shifting. What happened to the useful technical info?
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!

gaz

Re: What happened to the Rear Shifting article?

Postby gaz » 13 Nov 2016, 2:12pm

Last edited by gaz on 13 Nov 2016, 2:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

graymee

Postby graymee » 13 Nov 2016, 2:20pm

Thanks Gaz, that's what I was looking for but they've obviously moved it. Pity it's not been updated recently. After another search I found this on Wiki that is more up to date. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/ ... Dimensions
Last edited by graymee on 13 Nov 2016, 2:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!

gaz

Postby gaz » 13 Nov 2016, 2:27pm

Cycling UK no longer employs a technical officer. It is unlikely that the page will ever be updated.

The earliest link I can find to that page from the forum is November 2012, it redirects automatically.

AFAICT the info itself hasn't been moved. Where did your bookmark take you to?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 13 Nov 2016, 3:18pm

graymee wrote:... Unfortunately what seems to be there now is from the Ladybird Book of Gear Shifting. ...

FWIW, I don't think that Ladybird Books have a reputastion for giving poor technical advice. On the contrary.

OTOH, prompted by this post, I had a quick look of some of the other stuff on the Cycling UK site and the first thing I looked at - advice about our old friend, lights on pedal cycles - was straight from the pages of Mickey Mouse. :lol:

gaz

Re: What happened to the (insert technical subject of choice) article?

Postby gaz » 13 Nov 2016, 4:14pm

Whereas what I find is this article on Cycle Lighting Regulations which I still consider to be the benchmark piece on the subject.

Admittedly the first one I found was this which is hardly illuminating.

Can you please link the item by Mickey Mouse as I quite like a good laugh :wink: .

Edit: Second link was the same as first, whoops :oops:
Last edited by gaz on 13 Nov 2016, 4:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

meic

Postby meic » 13 Nov 2016, 4:21pm

I dont think that your second link was the one that you intended to give.
Yma o Hyd

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 13 Nov 2016, 4:40pm

gaz

I started from the CyclingUK home page -> Go cycling -> How to guides ->Top ten tips for cycling in traffic

Here's top tip no 9:

9. Lighten up
By law, when it's dark or there is bad visibility, you must have lights on the front and rear of your bike. Always carry spare small lights in case your main lights are not working.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cyclin ... in-traffic

Pure Mickey Mouse and definitely not a correct statement of the law. :evil: It's an over-simplification of an admittedly over-complicated bit of the law, but it adds non-existent extra legal duties on cyclists ie fitting and using lamps in daytime. It may or may not be common sense, but it's not the law. We should remember that there are people who are used to placing their faith in the stuff published by the CTC.

I've not checked word-for-word but both your links seem to lead to only one article which is what I remember as CJ's work, "age brings privileges" being definitely his wording and it's been amended to include the result of my pointing out to the men from the ministry that if lights are fitted to a pedal cycle, the law does NOT require them to be used in bad visibility.

gaz

Postby gaz » 13 Nov 2016, 4:53pm

meic wrote:I dont think that your second link was the one that you intended to give.

Edited :oops: .
thirdcrank wrote:We should remember that there are people who are used to placing their faith in the stuff published by the CTC.

I'd laugh if I wasn't so busy crying, you are right nonsense like this does neither the reader nor the publisher any good at all.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 13 Nov 2016, 4:59pm

I don't know whether to laugh or cry either. Now that the second link has been amended, I see it summarises the current state of the collective technical knowledge at the CTC, with the departure of CJ. :shock:

gaz

Postby gaz » 13 Nov 2016, 5:00pm

Feedback added to the article on the website, might help anybody who stumbles across it to find the good stuff.

pete75

Re: What happened to the (insert technical subject of choice) article?

Postby pete75 » 26 Nov 2016, 1:59pm

gaz wrote:
Admittedly the first one I found was this which is hardly illuminating.

On the contrary, it shines a light on Cycling UK's attitude towards maintaining technical articles on it's website. :(

gaz

Postby gaz » 26 Nov 2016, 3:13pm

The date of last update can be tracked. It has been blank since 27 February 2012. I trust we would agree that it was not the fault of the Technical Officer at that time.

The fact that someone could inadvertently chance upon it whilst looking for something useful has been an issue since then, something for Cycling UK's webmaster to resolve.