fast winter tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
webber

fast winter tyres

Post by webber »

hi all i want to get some fast winter tyres for my audax bike can run up to 700/30 with guards any help would be great
hamster

Re: fast winter tyres

Post by hamster »

I've fitted a set of Michelin Pro4 Endurance 28c this summer and am very pleased with them.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Depends on what you really want, Is it puncture protection or grip, they are all a compromise. if its puncture protection is upmost Swalbe Durano pluses or continental Gatorskin hardshells, swalbe marathons . If you want more a little more speed and will take a little bit of risk on PP then Gatorskins, duranos or grand prix 4 seasons. personally I tend to run a Gatorskins all year round, I tend to use a hardshell on the rear and normal Duraskin on the front. Does for most conditions except deep snow at which point, I have normally switched to the MTB and MTB tyres.
NUKe

Post by samsbike »

NUKe wrote:Depends on what you really want, Is it puncture protection or grip, they are all a compromise. if its puncture protection is upmost Swalbe Durano pluses or continental Gatorskin hardshells, swalbe marathons . If you want more a little more speed and will take a little bit of risk on PP then Gatorskins, duranos or grand prix 4 seasons. personally I tend to run a Gatorskins all year round, I tend to use a hardshell on the rear and normal Duraskin on the front. Does for most conditions except deep snow at which point, I have normally switched to the MTB and MTB tyres.

+1.

However, you may want to consider tubeless, as some have had good results (as long as its not a big hole)
martinn

Post by martinn »

I run GP4000 iis in the summer and GP4 seasons in the winter. Tried Gaterskins, really good for puncture protection, but personally and subjectivly, I did not find the grip to be very good in the wet and cold.

you might try looking at the link below,

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

Martin
deryck

Post by deryck »

The Michelin endurance, and now power, have been excellent on my 30 mile a day commute (20 in winter). They are comfortable nice to ride tyres (currently using 700x28c, have also used the 25c width) and touch wood keep the puncture fairy at bay. Thorn cycles rate the schwalbe one tubeless as the "magic" bullet - however they are a bit more expensive.