Cables through the frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Annoying Twit

Cables through the frame

Post by Annoying Twit »

I won't divert someone else's thread, but I noticed another thread where someone said about replacing cables "cables through the frame, that's a professional job."

Is it really the case that for bikes with cable routing through the frame, that many cyclists would then need to get a professional to fit their cables?

Note: I'm not likely to buy a bike with through-frame cable wiring in the near or even medium future. I'm just curious about this for future reference.
fausto99

Re: Cables through the frame

Post by fausto99 »

You can use the old cable to pull through the new ones.
If there is no old one you can use thread and magnets. Look it up on Youtube.
jezer

Post by jezer »

There is an excellent GCN video on uTube.
Power to the pedals
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

jezer wrote:There is an excellent GCN video on uTube.

GCN normally means Great Crested Newt(s) for me. :? :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Most times you just need patience an possibly an improvised hook. There are kits available to speed things up of course and a lot of machines use cased cables through the frame (don't want the cable sawing through the CF after all!) Many Aluminium frames use open DT's to facilitate easy exit point for control cables.

IME it's internally routed dyno and comp cables that are the biggest PITA as they aren't stiff like control cables making it harder to direct them. Never had any success using the originals to pull through the new - the nipples won't go through the holes! LOL.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've only had one frame with the rear brake cable routed through the top tube, but it was simple as can be.
Therefore there must be two distinct sorts?

Mine had a tube inside the top tube that exited at the front near the headset lug, and at the rear near the seat post lug. you just threaded the cable through.
Simple as a simple thing.
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Annoying Twit wrote:................I'm not likely to buy a bike with through-frame cable wiring in the near or even medium future................

Wise move.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

foxyrider wrote: Never had any success using the originals to pull through the new - the nipples won't go through the holes! LOL.

But IME most/all shifters and many brake levers require the cable to be threaded through them first, before continuing to the mech or caliper. So you'd have to pull through from front to back, and the nipple is at the front so doesn’t need to get through the hole. Just cut the nipple off the old inner beforehand.
whoof

Post by whoof »

It used to be the case that internal cables just meant the rear brake cable going in a straight line into your top tube behind the steerer and reappearing just in front of the seat-pin.

Some frames now have the gear cabling going into the bars and coming out on the chain-stay next to the rear mech and brakes built into the fork or chain-stay. Cables for electric gearing can also be internally routed. I watched a program where a mechanic built up a £10K + Specialized Venge and it was more like wiring house than building a bike. I'm sure many competent people with a lot of patience could do this but many others would struggle. Also if someone had this sort of money to spend on a bike unless wiring was something they enjoyed they would probably pay to have it done.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Earlier this year I built up a new bike using a frame with internal cables. The frame supplier had helpfully fitted plastic tubes to guide the cables through the frame, these are then pulled out to remove them once the cables are in place. Replacing the cables is very easy, you just thread the plastic tubes back over the cables, secure the ends with tape and withdraw the cables.
rjb

Post by rjb »

My 40 year old Dawes Kingpin folding shopper has internal cables for the rear brake and Sturmey hub gear. The cables are fully sheathed ie inners and outers. The trick is to remove the inner cable first leaving the outer in place. Replace the new inner then remove the outer sheath leaving the new inner in place and thread a new outer over the new inner. Saves hours of fiddling if you remove both inner and outer at the same time. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I had a chat a couple of days ago with an owner of a modern internal cabled frame. He says he puts a cotton thread through one hole and sucks the end out the other hole with a vacuum cleaner. Sounded a neat tip to me. May be one day when I get a modern bike I will try it!
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

flat tyre wrote:Earlier this year I built up a new bike using a frame with internal cables. The frame supplier had helpfully fitted plastic tubes to guide the cables through the frame, these are then pulled out to remove them once the cables are in place. Replacing the cables is very easy, you just thread the plastic tubes back over the cables, secure the ends with tape and withdraw the cables.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^.
If you don't have the tubes I'm sure your LBS with have plenty.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Using a spoke elbow as 'hook' has worked effectively for me in the past......poke it in the frame hole, feed the cable in at the other end and then try and grapple it with the spoke - easy!!?

All the best, Simon
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or cotton thread and a hoover...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.