30 year old Dawes Galaxy Upgrades?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cliff_G

30 year old Dawes Galaxy Upgrades?

Post by Cliff_G »

Having recently bought an off-road bike and been having lots of fun on it, with the winter a-coming, I thought I'd get my old Dawes Galaxy tourer out again.

Weird! How different bikes are!

Anyway, the obvious things not up to scratch on a 30 year old bike are the brakes (Weinmann Centre-pull) and the gearing.

The brakes look as if they just need some new blocks, of a much softer compound (the old ones are like concrete!) - surely the new side-pull double pivot designs can't be much better mechanical advantage than the old centre-pulls?

And the gearing looks to be around £170 for all teh bits: a new 3-chainwheel + 7 or 8-speed cassette (how many at the rear can I get vs. the old 5?) + chain + 2 mechs + levers + BB

Anyone got any suggestions / experience for sensible (cost & performance-wise) upgrades?

The frame, wheels, hubs , bars are all excellent, rides beautifully, and that old Brooks saddle ! Yum

Anyway, thanks in advance

C
TJ

Re:30 year old Dawes Galaxy Upgrades?

Post by TJ »

With gearing, you are going to struggle with the old 120mm rear dropouts unless you have the frame re-set, but why change the gearing? If I remember correctly, the old Galaxys from the mid 70s were fairly low geared, but you could always put smaller chain rings on.
The brakes however were a sore point with me. CJ will disagree, but I'd put deep drop dual pivots on. I found them to be far superior to old centre-pulls.
If the bike were mine, I'd run it pretty much as stock, apart from the brakes, and upgrade as items wear out. That seems the most cost effective option to me.
Cliff_G

Post by Cliff_G »

Thanks, TJ.

I've tried new brake blocks this morning (the old ones look as if they are also original - imagine how hard they are!) and it's a lot better, but I'd agree not up to today's standards. I'll ride it a bit and swop the brakes out to your suggestion if I still don't get on.

The gears are an old Simplex 5-speed changer, and a 2-chainwheel Williams + Shimano changer at the front (this was not the Super Galaxy!) (why Shimano back then, I wonder). When I bought it I had all the ratios specially set so I could get very close ratios (these were the days I used to do 100 miles in a day, and being able to get to the nearest 3" or 4" to suit the terrain/wind etc was more important to me than a huge range), so the bottom ratio is a 41" gear (which was OK for my younger legs for many years!). Basically I want a lower bottom, and easier shifting - at least move them up to the bars from the downtube. But whether I am prepared to spend the money is another thing. Nothing is compatible with today - even the chainset is cottered - so I'm looking at a complete change. It might give the old steed a new lease of life, though. I suppose changing the levers is about the one thing I could do independently.
TJ

Post by TJ »

Use the For Sale board on this forum to ask for some bar-end shifters. Modern ones will be O.K. in friction mode, or you might be lucky and find some period items to suit.
Retro is king at the moment, so don't worry about it too much.
I wouldn't normally suggest Ebay, but you may find all you need at reasonable cost there. SJSC do screw-on freewheels as another option.
ian

Post by ian »

Cliff_G - I recently upgraded my mid '90s Dawes Galaxy, and have all the bits I took off that laying around. You are most welcome to these for a nominal sum. It had the road groupset RSX, so I have front and rear derailleurs (overhauled), two triple chainsets (I can't remember the sizes offhand) both 170mm, and I even have the 700cc wheels (130 OLN, 7 speed cassette) if you wanted them. Your rear dropout spacing (OLN) is going to need to be determined and changed as necessary as has already been mentioned.

Anyway if you think you might be interested drop me a line - ian.collins@uwe.ac.uk
ian

Post by ian »

oops... forgot to mention too that I have the appropriate sealed bottom bracket for the chainset and some 7/8 speed bar end shifters (the rear shifter however only works in friction mode). Would rather any or all of this was used rather than sitting in my garage so let me know if anything interests you.

Ian