Decathlon bikes decision

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nightowl

Decathlon bikes decision

Post by nightowl »

I've never bought a road bike before so need a bit of advice. I've always used mountain bikes having spent a lot of time living in parts of Wales, Devon and Cornwall where there's good off-road cycling. However, now I'm living in London where the scope for muddy wheels is more limited I'm now thinking of getting a road bike as well. The ones I've been looking at (partly because someone gave me some vouchers for the shop for my birthday) are from Decathlon. Budget is important so the two I've been looking at are the Triban 500 SE (£300) and the Triban 520 (£450). Both seem to have had decent reviews in terms of 'punching above their weight for cheaper bikes'. Any thoughts? To be honest the 520 would be pushing it a little in terms of budget at the moment. In terms of use, I'll probably be doing two or three hour rides around London, as well as the occasional holiday trips to places like Dartmoor etc.
The utility cyclist

Re: Decathlon bikes decision

Post by The utility cyclist »

So long as it fits the bill in terms of getting wider tyres plus guards which i think they do then there's nothing wrong with the 500SE, probably want to swap the tyres out for something a little wider/better rolling.
If you fancied a punt you can sometimes find really good quality nearly new cast offs, some are really ridiculously cheap as people just give up cycling before they've even tried or just upgrade straight away, there are also other bargains to be had such as in this link which also has mudguard and pannier mounts plus plenty of scope for wider tyres.(they have a few sizes available) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Claud-Bu ... SwVcFXOxmj
good luck
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Although I have never owned a Decathlon roadbike I'd say you'd be hard pressed to get more 'bang for your buck'.

I would have no hesitation purchasing either of your choices were I in the market for one. I have heard rumours that the wheels weren't up to much quality wise although you could extend the life & durability immeasurably by simple proactive maintenance on first purchase.....dismantle, regrease & set up the hubs properly - not an onerous task & plenty of info on youtube & Park tools websites etc for correct procedures,

All the best, Simon
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

If not for the voucher.....I'd say ebay if you have cash. Lots of nice stuff getting very little interest right now (just browse Completed Listings for proof!). With shortage of cash, Xmas expenditure and the cold weather, bikes are a buyer's market right now!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I'm a bit suspicious of their "rides from 30 to 60 km", quoted for the 500 SE. Seems to imply that anything longer will beat your fundament into steak tartare.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
karlt

Post by karlt »

Nah, it's just trying to get you to buy a more expensive one if you're serious.
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

Thanks for the advice. My head probably says the 500SE at the moment. As I said, the other would be pushing it at the moment.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

to my mind there is a fundamental differenece between the 500SE and the 520 model; the mudguard clearances.

The 500SE comes with 25mm tyres and is difficult to fit proper mudguards to at all, whereas they claim you can fit 32mm tyres and mudguards to the 520. I do find that claim hard to believe, but the clearances are certainly a lot more generous with the 520 model.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have a 500SE.
I choose it without any input from others.
I paid for it myself.

It is the best bike i have owned, and i've had a few over the last 40 years.
Not the lightest, best equipped, or even prettiest.
I ride it with Decathlons 28mm puncture resistant tyres and they "do what it says on the tin" ....

But after many AUDAK and Sportive events, miles of general cycling and it's ease of maintenance I think it's unbeatable.
I have classic 531 and Trek alloy / carbon bikes to choose from but i always end up on the 500SE.

The after sales service from the Sheffield branch is unbeatable.
For the money it's brilliant.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

I have one of their Cheapo MTBs Rockrider 500.

Hard to beat for the money. The bottom bracket was not tightened and the wheel hub cones were far too tight. Both easily sorted with the right tools.

Second hand is worth a look

I bought this Verenti Division CB2.0 from a Guardian reader who'd won it in a competition, never had any intention of riding it. Cost £110