Dismantling a revoshifter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
helijohn

Dismantling a revoshifter

Post by helijohn »

I have looked online at all sorts of vids and manuals about changing cables but this revoshifter has me stumped as I can't seem to find out how to open it to get the cable out. Can anyone help please?
Revoshifter forum.jpg
meic

Re: Dismantling a revoshifter

Post by meic »

Yma o Hyd
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Gripshift? (Sram)
can't think when Ilast did one, but this looks familiar.....http://bicycletutor.com/grip-shift-cable/
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

The SRAM MRX one I did a few years back was held together by plastic clips. I had to gently prise it apart trying not to snap anything.
Last edited by Brian73 on 6 Dec 2016, 6:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
helijohn

Post by helijohn »

meic wrote:Anything in this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109419&hilit=revoshift

Sorry about the delay in spotting these replies but no notification came through to my email addy.
I wish it was this simple with a rubber cover to peel back. I cannot see how to get into mine at all.
I suspect it is snapped together and I am at the point of simply slinging it - I've fitted a thumb shifter which I much prefer anyway.
Probably is not worth the time to do it TBH.
I am tempted to crush it in a vice until it breaks apart before I bin it just so I can see how it was assembled
meic

Post by meic »

I've fitted a thumb shifter which I much prefer anyway.
That would have been my advice if you had asked a different question. I quite despise revoshifts but cheap thumbshifters or the likes of the Tourney TX50s are effective, simple, reliable and excellent value.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if it is a shimano one there may be a SI techdoc that explains how to change the cable. However IME it is also very likely that the thing has had it, too.

With some models (all makes) the moving part of the grip is slid sideways (there may be obvious barbs that locate it) and then the cable access is more obvious. With other models there is a screw or latch that prevents lateral movement of the grip; this needs to be removed before the grip will come free.

A few have a port to allow the cable to be changed, and yet others have a port that is hidden behind the flange on the rubber grip. Some are genuinely easy, others are genuinely nearly impossible!

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If you feed a cable in 'backwards' you may find that it doesn't need any taking apart. At one end of the gear range the cable will likely push straight through a gap that magically appears...

A pic from the other side might help?

Just realised you're trying to get a (snapped) cable out - same method could still help...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
helijohn

Post by helijohn »

meic wrote:
I've fitted a thumb shifter which I much prefer anyway.
That would have been my advice if you had asked a different question. I quite despise revoshifts but cheap thumbshifters or the likes of the Tourney TX50s are effective, simple, reliable and excellent value.

Yes I hated everything about the revoshifter and love everything about the thumb shifter. Even the fact that the handlebar grips were different lengths irritated me.
I would have liked to fit the thumb shifter to the left hand but the symmetry doesn't work well ergonomically. I can get a left hand friction shifter but I like the indexed clicky ones.
So now I am going to crush the revoshifter with great delight. :lol: :lol:
helijohn

Post by helijohn »

So here we have the interior view of the revoshifter before I bin it in case it helps anyone else. I crushed it until it popped apart but it didn't go down without a fight. The end of the cable is well buried and I am sure replacing it would have been nigh on impossible. :evil:
Revoshifter apart WMF.jpg
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

My 1997 Claud Butler Odyssey came with the old US Gripshifters. Subsequently, I re fitted Sachs Power Grip Shifters.
I can honestly say that they never ever gave me any trouble at all.Yes, changing cables was a bit fiddly, but the mechanism was well made and 100% reliable. Do not listen to any BS about grip shifters being in any way inferior to rapid fire.
I used them in conjunction with Shimano Deore 8 speed mech's and had anatomical handle bars which I thought they were ideally suited to.
I ride drops now, but if I went back to straights or anatomicals, I would plumb for grip shift every time.
meic

Post by meic »

Do not listen to any BS about grip shifters being in any way inferior to rapid fire.

They may not be inferior but we can still hate them. My son's hands were literally bleeding by the end of the day from using the revoshifters, it was blisters at first and then sores and then blood.
Yma o Hyd
helijohn

Post by helijohn »

arnsider wrote:changing cables was a bit fiddly,

Changing a cable on this one was going to be a bit more than fiddly, more like horrendous but I took it off not because it was not working. I would have needed a fresh cable to put it back on and I was prepared to keep it in the spares box. I took it off because I disliked that sort of action. I appreciate it is possibly a subjective thing but it is what it is. Not being able to easily change the cable (the old one was frayed and a mess) was the final straw. It's gone in the bin now and I am not unhappy. :)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

The Gripshift of 20 years ago were simple.
Remove the (shortened) handlebar grip, leave the shifter bolted to the bars. Position the shifter in the appropriate gear, and slide the rotating bit out of the bit bolted to the bars. Replace the cable, put back the stainless leaf spring, push the rotating bit back into the fixed bit, replace the grip.
Its taken me a few days to remember that, I still can't remember which gear is "appropriate".
Any shifter you can name, somebody will have a cautionary tale about how awful it is.
helijohn

Post by helijohn »

531colin wrote:. Position the shifter in the appropriate gear, and slide the rotating bit out of the bit bolted to the bars. Replace the cable, put back the stainless leaf spring, push the rotating bit back into the fixed bit, replace the grip.

I tried that - just pulling at it while on the bars (and while off too) - but not in any particular gear. I even tried doing a Rubik's cube on it when it was off by twisting and pulling.
No worries, it's gone now.........long live the revoshifter. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The bike isn't many years old, about 6 I think.