Best files for Garmin

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Davidwd

Best files for Garmin

Postby Davidwd » 16 Dec 2016, 6:41pm

I have a garmin 810 touring and I have downloaded the eurovelo 1 route files from velodysey.com. The files I downloaded are .xml files I can uses gypsies.com to convert the files but i don't know which files are best should i use gpx track or gpx waypoint or tcx etc etc

Thank you

David

PH

Re: Best files for Garmin

Postby PH » 16 Dec 2016, 9:45pm

My Edge Touring Plus works well with tcx, though it will also work fine with GPX. decent explanation of the differences here:
https://ridewithgps.com/help/export-file-formats

You might benefit from breaking the route down into smaller segments, they take a while to calculate, even if you've just stopped for lunch...

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 17 Dec 2016, 6:04am

Hi
I've downloaded three files from there and they each downloaded in *.gpx format and don't need conversion
They might be associated with an XML editor and its icon on your computer, is this what you're seeing? Right-click the file and look at its properties (or am I looking at files downloaded from the wrong place, which happens :) )
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

Davidwd

Postby Davidwd » 20 Dec 2016, 8:24am

Thank you, I have managed to convert them to GPX files on gpsies and they seem to be ok. I just hope they work when i am out there

PH

Postby PH » 20 Dec 2016, 8:55am

Davidwd wrote:Thank you, I have managed to convert them to GPX files on gpsies and they seem to be ok. I just hope they work when i am out there

You can store 100s of routes, why not take the belt & braces option and load up several versions?

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 20 Dec 2016, 9:01am

I have a Garmin Edge Touring. In that I use an 8GB SD card. Does anyone have an idea what that means as far as storage capacity goes?

I load any convoluted routes whilst on tour, a couple of routes out into the Mendips I am still memorising and this year I plan 1 Audax a month. If the routes are good ones, I'll keep them in the device/card for my own use at a later date.

Thank you techno peeps.

matt_twam_asi

Postby matt_twam_asi » 20 Dec 2016, 9:15am

Heltor Chasca wrote:I have a Garmin Edge Touring. In that I use an 8GB SD card. Does anyone have an idea what that means as far as storage capacity goes?

I load any convoluted routes whilst on tour, a couple of routes out into the Mendips I am still memorising and this year I plan 1 Audax a month. If the routes are good ones, I'll keep them in the device/card for my own use at a later date.

Thank you techno peeps.

A large .gpx file (i.e. a route spanning the USA on cycle.travel) is about 1.5 MB; you should have oodles of capacity to store routes with an 8GB SD card.

PH

Postby PH » 20 Dec 2016, 10:59am

Heltor Chasca wrote:I have a Garmin Edge Touring. In that I use an 8GB SD card. Does anyone have an idea what that means as far as storage capacity goes?

Thank you techno peeps.

When I plot a 200km DIY Audax on Cycletravel or ridewith GPS it works out around 190 - 220kb (There's a 250 limit in the AUK entry form)
That's around 38130 routes or 7626000km, should keep you going a while!
Though why store them on the device? Wouldn't it be easier to download them onto a PC, file them with a description, start, distance, climbing...

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 20 Dec 2016, 4:49pm

matt_twam_asi wrote:

Thank you techno peeps.

A large .gpx file (i.e. a route spanning the USA on cycle.travel) is about 1.5 MB; you should have oodles of capacity to store routes with an 8GB SD card.

Thank you. Sheesh. In the clear.

PH wrote:

Thank you techno peeps.

When I plot a 200km DIY Audax on Cycletravel or ridewith GPS it works out around 190 - 220kb (There's a 250 limit in the AUK entry form)
That's around 38130 routes or 7626000km, should keep you going a while!
Though why store them on the device? Wouldn't it be easier to download them onto a PC, file them with a description, start, distance, climbing...

And thank you. Great idea. Not sure I'm up for busting any records this big. Yet.