GPS Logger

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: GPS Logger

Postby [XAP]Bob » 4 Jan 2017, 7:36am

Probably

Although I think mine does better than 30 second intervals, 30s might be the cold start time?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

PH

Postby PH » 4 Jan 2017, 8:35am

[XAP]Bob wrote:Probably

Although I think mine does better than 30 second intervals, 30s might be the cold start time?

I'll have a better idea when I get it, but the review I read said you could set the intervals and that 30 sec maximised the run time. I think that would produce a track accurate enough for my purpose. I'll update this thread when I've had some use out of it for anyone who might be interested.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 4 Jan 2017, 6:50pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:Probably

There is a compromise. One which is becoming less important as memory price is cheaper and consumes less power

The more frequent the recording interval, the more accurate the fix for the photo, nutty more power you use and the more memory you need to store the data

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 5 Jan 2017, 9:42am

Out of (personal) interest I've just checked the point recording frequency my phone mapping app uses when .gpx track recording and it averages out at around one point every 5 seconds (and the phone battery would last at least an entire day recording a track).

Ian

PH

Postby PH » 29 Jan 2017, 4:43pm

Well, a quick review in case anyone else is interested in similar.
I bought the one in Paul Smith's link. £35 inc P&P, I couldn't find a supplier other than Amazon :?
Arrived to be collected from a local newsagents, thankfully the days of going miles after being carded are gone.
The instructions are in a form of translated Chinese which was common in the 80s, it takes a couple of reads to get the jist. Software is supplied on CD, but the review I read said the most up to date versions are downloadable so this is what I did.
Played with it on my commute and a couple of short club rides, works fine and really straightforward. Switch it on, power LED lights up, starts flashing when it has a fix (First time took 5 min, less than 1 each time after) end of a ride switch it off. Plug it into the USB, import the track to the program, export in whatever format you need (GPX in my case) You can change the recording frequency in the same program, I've left it at 1 sec for now, which has a run time of 17 hours. My longest track has been a 12 hour 200 km which used 6% of the storage. It doesn't have a battery level gauge, but it will run plugged into an external battery.
I haven't used the geo tagging function yet, I'm not sure it's something I have a use for, though I might have a play with it anyway.
reliability is the crucial thing of course, too early to know about that, but so far it's been as expected and I'm pleased with it.

sjs

Postby sjs » 29 Jan 2017, 6:46pm

PH wrote:Well, a quick review in case anyone else is interested in similar.
I bought the one in Paul Smith's link. £35 inc P&P, I couldn't find a supplier other than Amazon :?
Arrived to be collected from a local newsagents, thankfully the days of going miles after being carded are gone.
The instructions are in a form of translated Chinese which was common in the 80s, it takes a couple of reads to get the jist. Software is supplied on CD, but the review I read said the most up to date versions are downloadable so this is what I did.
Played with it on my commute and a couple of short club rides, works fine and really straightforward. Switch it on, power LED lights up, starts flashing when it has a fix (First time took 5 min, less than 1 each time after) end of a ride switch it off. Plug it into the USB, import the track to the program, export in whatever format you need (GPX in my case) You can change the recording frequency in the same program, I've left it at 1 sec for now, which has a run time of 17 hours. My longest track has been a 12 hour 200 km which used 6% of the storage. It doesn't have a battery level gauge, but it will run plugged into an external battery.
I haven't used the geo tagging function yet, I'm not sure it's something I have a use for, though I might have a play with it anyway.
reliability is the crucial thing of course, too early to know about that, but so far it's been as expected and I'm pleased with it.

Seems similar to the one I got for our cat, but with longer battery life. Mounts on his collar, and interesting the first few times he used it. Turns out he's very much a creature of habit though.

Scunnered

Postby Scunnered » 1 Feb 2017, 10:58am

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:There are some USB sticks that may also be a consideration, especially if you are a minimalist 'cut my tooth brush in half' cycle tourer :wink:

I have a Canmore GT-740FL and it works very well. You can set the logging period from 1 sec to 60 sec and if you select 10 sec or more, the battery will last for several days of continuous logging. The supplied software will export the data in .gpx format if required.