Thinking of more gears

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Thinking of more gears

Post by Mick F »

After approximately 60miles, I reckon the job's a good 'un.
I'm not going to go for the double chainset, and leave well alone for the time being.

Yes, there's 90 gear section permutations, but effectively what I've got is two ratios lower than I had before, and four higher.
The 135" is wonderful! :D
Obviously it's a bit pointless on the flat, but I can now pedal at well over 30mph coming down hills. The next few gears down from top are brilliant.

The 16.7" bottom gear is wonderful too.
I can climb the steepest of hills without straining.

Here's the gear table.
Second gear is the original TSR30 set as 2nd is direct drive, so most of the time I'll be in 2nd.
TSR90 Gear Inches.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Nice one Mick, but when you go to a 12 speed cassette it will take you past the ton. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

as an intellectual (not to mention physical) challenge, I wonder if you could ever remember how to select all 90 gears in sequence....? :shock: :shock:

:D

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
12sp cassette eh?
Don't tempt me.

Gear changing is a doddle.
Just use the derailleurs normally, but use the SA as an "amplifier" up or down IF required. There's no need to go up through all the gear sequences, but it would be interesting nonetheless. :lol:

I know 90 gears is overkill, but ............. willing to be proved wrong here .............. in order to get higher gears and lower gears on a small wheeled bike, it would cost more than the cost of SA 3sp hub.

If I bought a wider cassette and a smaller inner ring to get sub 20", and at the same time get a higher gear by going to a Moulton cassette with a 10t cog plus the specific hub (or the Capreo version) I would have spent much more.
Not costed it, but I reckon I'm right.

All I needed was a secondhand rim, a thumb-shifter, some old gear cable outers I had lying about, and the SA 3sp of course. I had all the rest of it already on the bike.

As a matter of interest - maybe? - I was able to fit the SA gear cable using a length of outer and ferrules to the original cable stop on the right where the STI cable would have been. I'm now using DT shifters of course. :D

From the cable stop, I ran bare cable down to the bottom of the seat tube area but there was no braze-on stop available, so I Araldited a ferrule next to the rear derailleur cable stop. This allowed me to run the outer from there to the SA clamp-on stop before the toggle chain.

Also, a brainwave.
The bike is separable, so I needed a cable splitter. They cost £15 each. :shock:
So I made my own Heath Robinson version by using "chocolate block" innards. A little bit of dressing with a file made the smaller ones fit inside the bigger one.
All I need is to use an Allen key to split.
Parts.jpeg
Joined.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Those choc block connectors are very useful for joining cables. I have used one to repair mrs Rjb's washing line. :D

Just an idle thought - could you use one as an emergency spoke repair? You may need to utilise 2 short spokes if the break is on the elbow though. :?:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Took a few photos this afternoon to illustrate my creation.
The titles speak for themselves.
Cable Splitters.jpeg
Splitters from the left:
Front Mech
Rear Brake
SA 3sp
Rear Mech

Araldite Ferrule.jpeg
I used Araldite Rapid. It sets in 20mins.

Campag Cable Outer.jpeg
I had a few lengths available!

Gearbox.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote:Just an idle thought - could you use one as an emergency spoke repair? You may need to utilise 2 short spokes if the break is on the elbow though. :?:
Excellent idea.
Mick F. Cornwall
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

^ looking very well executed Mick :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks! :D

It's rather frivolous to fit the SA hub, but it was getting to me that the top gear wasn't high enough. It seemed the only way forward .......... and I like a challenge and I like to get obsessed about stuff.

Anyway, it's fun. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I am fretting a bit about your araldited cable stop; I don't think that will last for ever.

I wonder if a SA fulcrum clip (shortened/redrilled so that it will fit the frame tube) would do the trick?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've thought about all sorts to do with this, and Araldite was the easy answer.
I could have use a cable outer all the way to the hub, but I wouldn't have had an easy time of splitting the frame, not that I split it frequently.

There are other adhesives available of course. I was in Halfords the other day and saw a "metal" putty. Can't remember the name of it.
Mick F. Cornwall
hercule

Post by hercule »

Very interesting, I have been toying with the idea of fitting one of these hubs to my Trice QNT recumbent trike. Not really to get lower gears - I'm pretty well catered for in that regard - but to get higher ones. The Trice has an offset rear end so I'm guessing I'd build it with the rim centred over the hub midline. From what I've read the SA hubs are more robust than the SRAM Dual Drive, which I think specifies minimum chainring sizes, and there are a few reports of them giving up the ghost in the middle of nowhere.

The no turn washers look like the ones on my SA 8 speed hub which proved to have a tang far too long for the dropouts on my 60s Moulton. Did they need any modification to fit the TSR dropouts? It took a lot of filing to get them narrow enough to fit the Moulton's dropouts, and I found that they were made of something very hard!
hercule

Post by hercule »

Brucey wrote:I am fretting a bit about your araldited cable stop; I don't think that will last for ever.

I wonder if a SA fulcrum clip (shortened/redrilled so that it will fit the frame tube) would do the trick?

cheers

Interestingly my Moulton AM14 has enough extra cable guides and stops to add a hybrid gear hub to the present all derailleur set up! Plus an extra couple of guides and a boss to run a bottom bracket fitting dynamo (it's an old machine). I think they must have been happy in the factory that day.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi hercule.

The non-turn washers were a bit of an issue.
I wish I'd measured them, but although the wheel seemed to tighten up ok, when I first went out, the wheel slipped sideways.
The tabs on the non-turn washers were a bit too long, so the nuts wouldn't tighten up properly.
I took them off and ground a bit off them. Sorry, I don't know how much, or what length they were to start with.

By taking off some, the nuts tightened up perfectly.
Maybe I took off 1mm.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:There are other adhesives available of course. I was in Halfords the other day and saw a "metal" putty. Can't remember the name of it.
This was the stuff.
http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo ... -Putty/125

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... poxy-putty
Mick F. Cornwall