Service SPD Pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Service SPD Pedals

Post by Brucey »

there's several different types and many different thicknesses of 'hard chrome'. It can vary quite a lot.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Brucey wrote:
Redvee wrote: I see you £20 and raise you £17 :P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201664433211

From memory the best I've paid was £15.

those ones don't come with cleats according to the description.

cheers

Not an issue for me as I've got several pairs of new cleats already and more fitted to the pairs of shoes I've got. Can see no cleats being an issue for some though.
Gattonero

Re: RE: Re: Service SPD Pedals

Post by Gattonero »

reohn2 wrote:And whilst we're on about it,the plastic locknuts that hold the pedal body onto the axle are handed(it's printed on the special tool :roll: ),so be careful not to turn them the wrong way when dismantling for service as it'll strip the threads and they won't come from together :?
Ask me how I know :(

A good rule is to think of that locknut like the BB cup BSA thread.

Obviously, if the tool is in a vice, it all gets mirrored: the Lh pedal locknut will undo by moving the pedal clockwise; the Rh pedal locknut wil undo by moving the pedal counter-clockwise
:idea:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Gattonero wrote:
reohn2 wrote:And whilst we're on about it,the plastic locknuts that hold the pedal body onto the axle are handed(it's printed on the special tool :roll: ),so be careful not to turn them the wrong way when dismantling for service as it'll strip the threads and they won't come from together :?

A good rule is to think of that locknut like the BB cup BSA thread.

Obviously, if the tool is in a vice, it all gets mirrored: the Lh pedal locknut will undo by moving the pedal clockwise; the Rh pedal locknut wil undo by moving the pedal counter-clockwise
:idea:

Yep all good advice,but a moment of seniority wipes the whole of that logic out :roll: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote:
elPedro666 wrote:
Brucey wrote:I advise that you do them one at a time, which prevents accidentally trying to fit the left axle assembly in the right pedal (which is a very bad thing... :shock: ).

I do dearly love good advice that quite clearly comes from bad experience!

And whilst we're on about it,the plastic locknuts that hold the pedal body onto the axle are handed(it's printed on the special tool :roll: ),so be careful not to turn them the wrong way when dismantling for service as it'll strip the threads and they won't come from together :?

Yes, as mentioned in post #2 in this thread.

BTW the 'bad experience' I had was trying to sort it all out after someone else (someone else that should have known better.... :roll: ) had beggared it all up. Obviously they wound both sleeves in all the way ("it was quite difficult...") before realising that they had created a pair of pedals that couldn't be used unless you were sat the wrong way round on the bike..... :roll: :roll: ...

It turns out that the sleeves melt if you get them hot enough, and the damage can be rectified by buying new sleeves; they are available as spare parts.

cheers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
BTW the 'bad experience' I had was trying to sort it all out after someone else (someone else that should have known better.... :roll: ) had beggared it all up. Obviously they wound both sleeves in all the way ("it was quite difficult...") before realising that they had created a pair of pedals that couldn't be used unless you were sat the wrong way round on the bike..... :roll: :roll: ...

At least I only made the mistake with one pedal :)

It turns out that the sleeves melt if you get them hot enough, and the damage can be rectified by buying new sleeves; they are available as spare parts.

cheers

I did wonder about that but suspect whilst sleeves are listed as a spare,what's guessing they're £10 each and only available from Madison.
I did think I could use a sleeve from an old pair of pedals when they are wear out,but so far I haven't managed to wear any out yet,and knowing my luck if I do it'll be the wrong side :? .
Better to run the stripped sleeved pedal (which only has a leettle play in it) to destruction and buy a new pair,complete with cleats from the bank breaking sum of £20 :wink:
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Well I never! :shock:
Thanks for that Brucey :)
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it isn't too bad.... mind you, they are about half that cost from some German retailers, so Madison are having their pound of flesh out of it alright...

cheers