Speed & Cadence Sensor - Losing will to live

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Feathers1981

Speed & Cadence Sensor - Losing will to live

Post by Feathers1981 »

I have just bought my second speed and cadence sensor. The first I could only get to connect to the app it came with. The second (CatEye) which I have just forked £40 from wiggle for, I can’t get to connect to anything. All I want to do is fix it to the bike so that I can use something like zwift when I am on the turbo trainer. Am desperate to make the turbo trainer more interesting! Am I missing something?! I keep reading about ANT+ dongles but don’t know why I would need one if I am using Bluetooth.

I am trying to use it via Bluetooth on my Apple IPhone6. I have two ipads but neither is compatible with zwift, hence using the phone. Zwift hasn’t seen either of the sensors. Do I need some other piece of equipment that I am don’t have to make this work?
0xymoron

Re: Speed & Cadence Sensor - Losing will to live

Post by 0xymoron »

You can't run Zwift from an iphone or ipad. Zwift only runs on a pc (Windows or Apple) - you can use a mobile app to control Zwift, but only once you've started it on a PC.

ps Bluetooth and Ant+ are not the same thing. Ant+ is a low energy, short range version of Bluetooth which require an Ant+ dongle to be picked up by a pc (a bluetooth receiver in a pc won't work for Ant+). There are tons of resources to help you with setting up Zwift (Zwift's own web page, Youtube etc), but it ain't gonna work without a pc.
Feathers1981

Post by Feathers1981 »

Ah, thanks! I did try it on my pc but the Bluetooth still didn't pick up the sensor. Do I need an ANT+ dongle to get it to work via the PC? I thought that a pc with Bluetooth capability would still work without the need for an ANT+ dongle
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
After years of doing my own thing, only the MOT inspector gets my money :)
But on buying my first laptop, could I get the blinking thing to connect to wifi......................then it did it on its own :?

If your turbo session is not making you scream after ten minutes you have hooked up with a slower version of yourself or feel safer not taking on someone faster than you :)

Good luck I just put the radio on and it flies past.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
0xymoron

Post by 0xymoron »

Feathers1981 wrote:Ah, thanks! I did try it on my pc but the Bluetooth still didn't pick up the sensor. Do I need an ANT+ dongle to get it to work via the PC? I thought that a pc with Bluetooth capability would still work without the need for an ANT+ dongle

No problem. I'm not sure if you can connect to Zwift via Bluetooth (never tried it), but everybody I know uses Ant+ (I think all speed / cadence sensors use Ant+). You will need an Ant+ dongle (I use a Suunto Movestick, but there are plenty of others out there - you don't need to use an expensive Garmin dongle).

The other thing you need to be aware of is that Ant+ is short range, so to get the best results most people use a USB extension lead to get the dongle as close as practical to the sensors - if the dongle is more than a metre from the sensors it will struggle to pick up the signal.

Zwift is effectively a modern multi-player computer game so you will need a resonably modern 64-bit computer to get good results.

PS I find Zwift utterly addictive, and regularly ride for up to 2 hours at a time without getting bored.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

What sort of dongle you need depends on the sensors you have. There are four types pf wireless sensor in common use:
1) Lower end older devices that use a propriety protocol typically used by the old simple "wireless cycle computers"
2) Ant/Ant+ devices use a protocol which is closely associated with Garmin and is used by a number of sports based computers
3) Bluetooth more recent devices intended to be used with smartphones and computers.
4) Dual Ant+/Bluetooth often high end sensors like powermeters support the use of both protocols

For things like Zwift it is best to avoid the type 1 sensors above. If your computer already has Bluetooth it may make sense to get sensors that use this, however they are not as common (or as cheap) as Ant+ devices. If you already have Ant+ sensors then you will almost certainly need to get an Ant+ dongle to have them work with a computer.

Good luck

Oh and be a little careful with Bluetooth, that standard has changed a lot over time and some of the latest Bluetooth LE (BLE) devices may not work with computers having older Bluetooth chipsets!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I use Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors and I was able to connect to Zwift on my PC using a Garmin Ant+ Dongle (about £30 on Amazon). I also bought a USB extender cable for £6 on Amazon. The dongle sits underneath my bottom bracket, close to both sensors.

I can also record my ride on my Garmin 810, as it also picks up the signals from the speed and cadence sensors and my heart rate strap.

However, I found Zwift to be unfulfilling. There just seemed to be loads of people overtaking me and disappearing up the road. This seemed to happen whether I was pootling along or going full gas. So I didn't bother signing up after my 7 day free trial.

I might give TrainerRoad a go.

There's an Australian guy on YouTube called Shane Miller, he uses a lot of this sort of tech and it's worth watching a few of his videos. He will show you how to get it all working and what the best set ups are.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
dylanharrison85

Post by dylanharrison85 »

Ant+ and garmin speed and cadence and HRT strap for me on my laptop as garmin uses Ant+

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VFD 600 using hovercraft full of eels.