Cycle Helmet - always too far back

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fausto99

Cycle Helmet - always too far back

Post by fausto99 »

I cycle regularly with a CTC group and one of the other riders is having problems with his helmet fit. His helmet always sits too far back on his head, leaving his nose very exposed in the event of a spill. We've discussed this and he's tried moving it around and also a different make of helmet but that too still sits on his head way back. If we push the helmet forward as far as we dare then the peak is almost level with his nose but then the back looks too exposed. I should also say that he doesn't have a particularly large nose. I guess it's just the shape of his head which is not suited to the average helmet design.

Can anyone recommend a helmet with a longer front to back dimension?
hamster

Re: Cycle Helmet - always too far back

Post by hamster »

Often this happens if the front strap is too loose compared to the back. Ooch some of the front strap through the Y-splitter things below the ears and round to the back strap. The exact details vary by helmet.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Is this friend female :wink: ? Almost every woman I see has a helmet worn like this. Dunno why.
As he says. Adjust the straps or possibly his helmet doesn't fit his head. Swap one of them
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Maybe he's a cone head like me ?

I am still struggling to find a helmet that doesn't make me feel like Beaker off the Muppets (one that doesn't break the bank, anyway).
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

I found the Kask K50 a good fit for my long-ish head. The K50 no longer exists but newer Kask models may also work - the internal cradle arrangement makes for a lot of flexibility with position and fit. As ever with helmets, there's no substitute for trying them out in a shop.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Thanks for the comments.
I think his current helmet is a Limar. I can't remember what the previous one was. I'll suggest he tries a Kask.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

fausto99 wrote:Thanks for the comments.
I think his current helmet is a Limar. I can't remember what the previous one was. I'll suggest he tries a Kask.

Find a good shop that would make you test different helmets and give advice.
That's what a good LBS stands for 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All heads are different.

Going back to my time in the RN, we sailors were issued with our caps, and brand new, they were circular.
Different sizes of course, but circular nonetheless.
Here's me, a week after joining up. Sept 1969 HMS Raleigh. 16 going on 17 and never been kissed (much)
Raleigh Recruit copy.jpg
The caps were painful.
They dug into your forehead and the back of your head, and there was often a gap along both sides.
After a few weeks, they fitted beautifully. If you tried someone else's by mistake - even if they were the same size - it wouldn't fit.

Hence bike helmets have fittings internally that adjust perfectly to the shape and size of an individual's bonce.
If your bonce lies outside the scope of the fittings, you need to try a different make, but from my experience of four helmets, they were all a bit much of a muchness. Four different makes. Latest one is a Secialized.

I get over any issues these days, by not wearing one. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

I hadn't thought to look or ask him about the inserts :oops: