Campag Ergo Wear

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hamster

Re: Campag Ergo Wear

Post by hamster »

I can't see why you need a new chainset - I've run Campag with Shimano chainsets and vice-versa with no bother.
mig

Post by mig »

good! :D i don't want to find out tbh..!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mig wrote:sadly my 1997 frame only has cable guides on the head tube then a straight run of cable straight down to the BB. if the ergos give up then i'm not sure what i'll do. sounds like a new rear mech, new BB, new chainset and new shifters. that lot won't be cheap for a summer bike!

bar end shifters (or shifters mounted on the bars somewhere... Kelly's?) would work. Another possibility is to use Tiagra ST-4700 shifters (edit; and go 10s) ; these use an almost identical shift ratio for the rear mech. You will be stuck with indexed front shifting but if you use a triple LH shifter it will be very close to correct for the campag front mech; a small tweak to the cable mounting should sort it out.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 16 Feb 2017, 11:23am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

After 20 years use I had to replace a broken spring and cracked carrier on my RH Veloce 8 speed shifter. Good for another 20 years. Not sure I am though...
123malford

Post by 123malford »

"If I do go back to DT shifting on Mercian, I'll be investigating the Shimano DT route. This would either mean some sort of device to go from Shim to Camp, or fitting a Shimano freewheel unit and cassette."

Jtech shiftmate 1 + Dura-Ace 7900 dt levers might be a way. If the R061 is available it'll be pricey, I stuck my hand in my pocket a while back on the basis that over the long term it would be economic.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just come off the phone with Mr Mercian.
Not good news I'm afraid, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

G Springs RE209 are available at a couple of quid.
Neither ratchet RE602 or RE601 are made any more and they haven't got any.

However, I'm not the first person asking, so they have on order, complete lever assemblies. All you need is a hood and a brake lever. They'll have them in next week.

The main ratchet that I need (was) over £40 a time.
The whole lever assembly is £83.99

Now ................ I have to ask myself what I'm going to do next.
a. Fit my friction Victory down-tube levers plus a pair of brake levers. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tektro-rl340-dr ... vers-pair/
b. Buy Dura Ace down-tube levers plus a JTEK ShiftMate plus a pair of brake levers.
c. Pay £84 and carry on regardless.

............. and something occurred to me this morning when riding Mercian, that if I go down the down-tube shifter route, I could take the guts out of BOTH Ergos and use them just as brake levers. Novel approach I think, and it would save £25.

PS
The ride on Mercian was great, but the gear shifting was vague to say the least. Hit and miss, listen and feel. Just about no clicks at all, so something MUST be done.
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

It might be worth asking Velotech about parts http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/camp ... cing.shtml
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks. :D
Food for thought indeed.

Thoughts so far, are to either forget the Ergo route, or buy a new assembly.

If I bought the individual spares .......... if they are available ............ the bare minimum would cost £50 or so perhaps.
A better idea, is to replace the bare minimum, plus the spiral springs and the spring carrier. The springs and the carrier are known weak spots and I've had broken ones over the years with these Ergos, though they are fine at the moment.

Maybe the bare minimum PLUS the springs and the carrier could well add up to £60 or even £70?
It could be better value to buy a whole unit and have what I've got already as spares.

I'll sleep on it.
Mick F. Cornwall
mig

Post by mig »

thanks for the options if they ever break but i'm hoping that they won't for some time yet! i think that they may be the most underused ergos in the country possibly as i mostly used that bike for short and medium length TTs. hence i'd start in maybe 55x15, shift up to slowly to 55x12 (if i was feeling energetic!) and then they'd only come down again for the odd corner or, or my local courses, when cows massed in the road ahead! :shock:
these days it only comes out on those dry sunny days for pleasurable trundles in 39 x something.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mine have been well-used over the years!
2006 and done close on 40,000miles mainly in Cornwall and Devon, with hundreds of gear-changes on every ride.
Mick F. Cornwall
Graham

Post by Graham »

I await news with hope & trepidation.

Tiagra 4700 shifter option is not cheap ( £120 ? + extras ).
Lack of trimming on the triple chainrings is really offputting.

Currently converted to 10-speed, I still have the cogs and widgets to revert the Ergos to 9-speed.

I would be very interested to hear if all goes well with a replacement Ergo body.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've had words.
Mrs Mick F and me.
Married more years than you can contemplate.
Just had our 46th St Valentine's Day. :shock:
She speaks sense and looks after me .......... and I need looking after.

Spend £90 on Mercian ................ or not?
She says I should do.

I've spent loads on Moulton since paying two grand on buying the thing in the first place .................... which she didn't agree with.
If I were to part with one bike, which one would it be?
Certainly NOT Mercian, so maybe I should pay £90 to keep him going?

I'm 65 this year.
What would YOU do?

Divorce ........................... or do what I'm told? :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
123malford

Post by 123malford »

Definitely repair the ergolevers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

123malford wrote:Definitely repair the ergolevers.
Ok.
I can cope with that.

However, if I pay for a new RH body @ £90 ish, what about the the LH one?
How long will that last?
Another £90 further down the line?

Maybe the LH one will need spares eventually .......... again.
I've fixed issues with it before. Springs, G springs, bits and bobs etc.

Close on 40,000miles with these things, and they wear out.

Four things:
How many years will I need to keep Mercian running considering I'm in my mid 60s?
£90 now, and maybe another £90 further down the line?
Should I pay £200odd quid on new Ergos?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-reco ... lever-set/

............. or just forget about it, and fit DT levers and new brake levers?
Mick F. Cornwall
123malford

Post by 123malford »

Perhaps you should give Graeme at Velotech, as mentioned upthread, a call.He quite often posts on the forum with reference to Campagnolo questions.
He is very pleasant to deal with and will give best advice. It is possible you might find that a current Record 10sp Ergolever and a Comp triple RD are not an exact match. http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk.
Last edited by 123malford on 18 Feb 2017, 7:26pm, edited 1 time in total.