Using Sapim Strong

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Steve

Using Sapim Strong

Post by Steve »

I'm lacing up a new wheel, not quite my first, but my first with Sapim Strong spokes (drive side). The hub is Shimano LX and despite the countersinking, the spokes don't sit easily with their heads inside the flange, so appear to be at risk of abrasion or worse. Does this need addressing with a drill through the spoke hole, or is it nothing to worry about?
Brucey

Re: Using Sapim Strong

Post by Brucey »

punch the heads if in you like but IMHO the most important thing is that you stress-relieve the wheel. I don't think you should start trying to drill the flange...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

1) Correct the elbow bend when there is no tension (more bend for "heads in", less bend for "heads out")
2) when tight but not finished, stress-relieve and punch heads......"just the weight" to set the head square to the flange....don't clout it with a one pound hammer
Steve

Post by Steve »

Excellent, thanks. The idea of drilling out came from a certain well known shop in Leeds who built me a wheel about 20 years ago, and said that was how they might do it - though I don't know if they ever did.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Steve wrote:Excellent, thanks. The idea of drilling out came from a certain well known shop in Leeds who built me a wheel about 20 years ago, and said that was how they might do it - though I don't know if they ever did.

Terrifying
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Steve wrote:I'm lacing up a new wheel, not quite my first, but my first with Sapim Strong spokes (drive side). The hub is Shimano LX and despite the countersinking, the spokes don't sit easily with their heads inside the flange, so appear to be at risk of abrasion or worse. Does this need addressing with a drill through the spoke hole, or is it nothing to worry about?

The main problem is not the diameter.
Although I'm not sure if Shimano allows 13g on Deore class hubs, they will fit.

The problem you are facing is the lateral force that can rip out the flange if the wheel is overloaded or overtensioned.
And like said above, make sure the spokes are "formed" well on the hub flange (have to bend right after the flange)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...