Spa Cycles Super Compact Chainset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
burroc

Spa Cycles Super Compact Chainset

Post by burroc »

I am thinking of lowering my gearing by fitting a TD-2 Super Compact Chainset from Spa Cycles to my Genesis Equilibrium road/touring bike. Although I already have a mountain bike cassette on the rear (11-34) I still find with the 34 small front chainring the gears don't quite go low enough for me. I never use the larger chainwheel at all - I am very much a "high cadence, low speed" cyslist.

I am tempted to try a 28/36 front chainset. I appreciate that the Spa Super Compact really is a triple with the larger chainwheel replaced by a blank, but there does not seem to be any real alternative. However I don't want to end up with a cheap Heath Robinson arrangement that does not shift smoothly. Has anyone else tried the Super Compact and (not being the most expert of bike mechanics) am I missing the obvious that would mean the 28/36 just would not be suitable? I appreciate I will have to fit a square tapered bottom bracket.

Many thanks.
fastpedaller

Re: Spa Cycles Super Compact Chainset

Post by fastpedaller »

Wouldn't a triple do the job better and also give closer gears?
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

How is your front derailleur fixed to the frame? Clamp or bracket? Because it needs to be lowered ...
I should coco.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Thats the prototype "lash-up" chainset with home-made filler pieces to blank off the big ring position. I rode that chainset, and also a 24/40T chainset both with 105 11 speed. (on spa Elan prototypes)
I couldn't make them shift badly, and I tried (as you would with prototypes)
All the chainsets have 16T difference between the 2 rings, because thats what current Shimano F. mechs are designed for. It does mean a big jump when you make the shift, and this is awkward if you are riding in a tight-formation group that wants to press on all the time....its OK if you are on your own, or in a relaxed group.
The F. mech will need to drop down a fair way.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Is something I've been musing on myself for an n-1 bike

cf the Shropshire special on this page for an application:

http://www.beaumontbicycle.com/
jamesofyorkshire

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

I also want lower geared chain rings to drop the overall gearing. I already have a 36 on the back but would prefer a closer ratio cassette on the back. 34/50 seems overgeared for a lot of steady peddlers. How often does anyone use their highest 3 gears??? Probably less than once a month for me....when I might get lucky and have a tailwind on a slope.
mellon farmer

Post by mellon farmer »

On a similar note, I used the 2 inside rings on a road triple with a chain guard in the outer position 42/30 was absolutely fine. Now riding a compact with 44/34 to 32 cassette, also using an ultegra ss rear mech with no problems!
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Have you considered a 42/32/22 MTB triple?

They give very low gearing with a reasonable top gear for most people.

Cheaper Shimano ones like Alivio and Acera are of quite good quality, as is the one Decathlon sells.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Problem with a triple is I'm guessing the OP has a double changer.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

blackbike wrote:Have you considered a 42/32/22 MTB triple?

Cheaper Shimano ones like Alivio and Acera are of quite good quality, as is the one Decathlon sells.

How would STIs and front mech cope with MTB chainset?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

bigjim wrote:
blackbike wrote:Have you considered a 42/32/22 MTB triple?

How would STIs and front mech cope with MTB chainset?

Not easily
Chainline is different and a road front mech' will have problem of shifting chain onto big ring.
Something I'm looking at as I have that very problem. The mech' sometimes won't shift the chain to the big ring.
I'm considering buying a Mech' with on oversize clamp and then offsetting it outwards.
Another option is to use a braze-on front mech and fit a modified band-on adapter to move the mech' outwards.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
burroc

Post by burroc »

Thanks very much for the various responses. As one person has correctly summised, I have a double front changer so am looking to stick with a compact chainset rather than moving to a triple.