Brake upgrade to 5800 calipers, cables don't fit

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Trek2

Brake upgrade to 5800 calipers, cables don't fit

Post by Trek2 »

So I've got some Shimano 105 5800 calipers to replace the non branded calipers, and all went well till it came to fitting the old cable outer into the new adjusters.
It seems that the new adjusters take 4.5mm ferrules and my cables have 5.5mm ferrules fitted.
My options are to use the old adjusters in the new calipers, but there doesn't seem to be a 'click stop' facility for adjusting the cable - or remove the ferrules and put the 'bare' cable into the new adjusters.
A possible third way would be to get thinner 4.4mm ferrules to replace the 5.5mm ends on my cables? would they fit and is it worth the bother?
Last edited by Trek2 on 21 Feb 2017, 10:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve O'C

Re: Brake upgrade to 5800 calipers, cables don't fit

Post by Steve O'C »

Had the same problem when I fitted mine. Googling it at the time it seems like they are designed to be used without a ferrule. I used a small dremmel disc cutter to cut the cable housing square and they work OK. Does seem an odd design however.
Steve
Trek2

Post by Trek2 »

Thanks - I measured the metal ferrule at 'about' 5.4mm and the new adjuster hole at about 5.3mm - the old one was a 6mm hole in the adjuster.
Maybe taking off the metal end is the intended condition. Seemed odd to me as well.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

very many shimano calipers have a recess in the barrel adjuster which is intended to accept cable housing directly.

If you don't like this, there are such things as stepped ferrules which allow nominal 5.0mm dia housing to present a nominal 5.0mm ferrule end to the brake.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

When using a dremel be careful that you don't melt the liner. :roll:
It's a bit fiddly to re-open the hole afterwards.
Guess how I know. :oops:
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

The use of ferrules is to prevent the cable end spreading in poor fitting cable stops/adjuster's.

If the cable stops/adjuster's are a good fit on the cable then ferrules are not needed.

I.E. If you can fit a ferrule in then use one, if not then you don't need one.

For the same reason you wouldn't put an innertube into a car wheel that's made for tubeless tyres because the innertube is not needed.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

nigelnightmare wrote:For the same reason you wouldn't put an innertube into a car wheel that's made for tubeless tyres because the innertube is not needed.

Or at least not until the retreaded tyre is 20+ years old and won't hold pressure any more...

I have inners on my trailer now. It's used relatively infrequently...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
nigelnightmare wrote:For the same reason you wouldn't put an innertube into a car wheel that's made for tubeless tyres because the innertube is not needed.

Or at least not until the retreaded tyre is 20+ years old and won't hold pressure any more...

I have inners on my trailer now. It's used relatively infrequently...

A good reason for replacing the tyres?