SICK OF IT - GEARS AND THINGS

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RickH

Re: SICK OF IT - GEARS AND THINGS

Post by RickH »

Out of interest I was just measuring something else so compared an old(er) rear mech - Campag Comp Triple on a 3x10 - with a new SRAM Rival 1. Guess what I found, at (near enough) maximum extension they both measure almost exactly the same length - ~20cm/8" axle to bottom of mech. The only big differences is that the jockey wheels of the Rival 1 are larger & the top one sits much further behind the cage pivot so swings forward as the bottom of the mech moves back. As far as I can see, the only extra "complication" in the Rival 1 mech is the clutch system, as used first with MTBs, that pretty much eliminates chain slap.

Some crops from photos I already had on the PC
Comp Triple
Comp Triple
Rival 1 (lower gear engaged to when measured)
Rival 1 (lower gear engaged to when measured)

Gear range of both systems is very similar (24-103" on the triple & 24-99" on the 1x) - just it is over 11 gears rather than the 17 unique gears of the Campag set up (although some of those are probably a bit close together really to matter).

Although I've never personally had much in the way of problems, the front mech (combined with chainline & chainring sizes) is one of the bits of the drivetrain that seems to give the most grief.

As some will say YMMV. :wink:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
BigG

Post by BigG »

Brucey wrote:
BigG wrote:

BTW how are the pivots on the Duopar holding up?

I have worn out three so far but still have a spare. It was always worn pivots and an increasingly non-vertical pulley cage that caused the replacement. Age is severely limiting my mileage now and I have two other bikes to choose from. The Duopar would not handle the 40 tooth sprocket with my standard Campag horizontal drop-outs as there was insufficient vertical movement to allow the chain to climb over the teeth when changing. I therefore fitted a Shimano 761SGS (pre-shadow model) which has a greater range for the 6 speed and is fitted to one of my other cycles. A shift-mate adapter allows me to use a Suntour Command shifter with this set-up also. When first fitted, the change onto the 40 tooth sprocket was fine but it would not shift off it again. The spring was simply not strong enough. A file and some W-cut type teeth cured the problem and left plenty of unmodified teeth for the drive.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC in some old shimano freewheels with large sprockets, they didn't bother with half the teeth at all.... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Brucey wrote:IIRC in some old shimano freewheels with large sprockets, they didn't bother with half the teeth at all.... :shock:

cheers

Don't tell the weight weenies! They'll be asking for it titanium...
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Wanlock Dod wrote:Surely one of the key selling points of 1x drive trains is that they offer the convenience of sequential gear changes that you get from hub gears, but without any of the other benefits like reduced maintenance. They are probably therefore quite easy to use, which some users will like, and will wear out quickly, which bike shops will like. It's a winner all round!

:D
But you missed the point that replacing a 1x cassette can cost a couple of hundred quid. :shock: Cheaper ones are available too. And another advantage of 1x over hub gears is they they fall just about within the normal for mtb (and road) sphere, by virtue of using a derailleur - a known concept - rather than an oddball tin can with complicated cogs and springs in it. Known in use and in maintenance, as well as visually. Yes, fashion (aesthetics) is a legitimate reason!
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
Wanlock Dod wrote:Surely one of the key selling points of 1x drive trains is that they offer the convenience of sequential gear changes that you get from hub gears, but without any of the other benefits like reduced maintenance. They are probably therefore quite easy to use, which some users will like, and will wear out quickly, which bike shops will like. It's a winner all round!

:D
But you missed the point that replacing a 1x cassette can cost a couple of hundred quid. :shock: Cheaper ones are available too. And another advantage of 1x over hub gears is they they fall just about within the normal for mtb (and road) sphere, by virtue of using a derailleur - a known concept - rather than an oddball tin can with complicated cogs and springs in it. Known in use and in maintenance, as well as visually. Yes, fashion (aesthetics) is a legitimate reason!

:wink:

Cheaper
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/sunrace-mx8-11-speed-cassette-11-42-530156?currency=3&delivery_country=190&gclid=CKeY0fu3s9ICFQccGwodurkNLQ

Expensive!
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SRAM-Eagle-XG-1299-12-Speed-Cassette-10-50_91964.htm?sku=321298&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CM2fqKi4s9ICFcfgGwodbeIMVw
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

I remember many years ago my granddad berating me for falling for the marketing hype and riding a "10-speed" bike (ie 2x5). He'd ridden with a Sturmey Archer 3-speed all his life and had never found a hill he couldn't get up!

Alan
(currently riding 2x6, 3x6, 3x9)
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Mick F wrote:The cassette on my Mercian isn't wide enough.
10sp 11-30
I was climbing a long steep hill this morning, and I really wanted something lower than the 30t sprocket and 28t ring.
Also today, there were times when I would have liked a gear higher than the 11t with the 53t ring.

Don't have that problem anymore but took me a few years to work out my ideal gear setup, but I do like my 2x2x14 build.
24 unique gears giving me a first gear is only 9.5" and top gar which is 18x that at 172".
I did think of doing a half step and granny triple instead of a plain double but decided that was just being silly ............ :lol:

A Rohloff and a Schlumpf HSD on a recumbent trike ......... :D