Lowish cost Disc wheelset from Spa

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gloomyandy

Lowish cost Disc wheelset from Spa

Post by gloomyandy »

I need a set of disc wheels (using quick releases 135 OLN) for my Croix de Fer. I will be running 32C hypers on them. Not for touring (I have another set of wheels for that). SPA is pretty local to me and I've been looking at the wheelsets that they provide. I see they do a Mavic factory set (Mavic Askium One disc £148), but also offer handbuilt on various rims with a Deore hub for a similar price, which rim would make most sense for me? Anyone like to offer a recommendation? Or tell me why I should be spending more (or less!)? I'm not that heavy (about 154lb).

Thanks!
Last edited by gloomyandy on 25 Feb 2017, 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Re: Lowish cost Diac wheelset from Spa

Post by PH »

What's the other wheelset and why do you want two? If it's a touring set, I'd be inclined to go for the Mavics just to have something different. Though I have no experience of them.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

My other wheelset is a pretty heavy 36 spoke touring setup with a wider tyre (and different cassette) on it. I've had them a few years now and they seem to be pretty bomb proof for touring on. I'd rather not use that set for general use and I like to have a spare set of wheels just in case I run into a problem with the ones on the bike. Currently I'm using an old set of planet-x mtb wheels donated by a club mate, but the freehub has pretty much had it and the bearings have seen better days. Can't complain they have been used over a number of winters and not looked after very well!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Will the Aksiums take the size of tyre you want to use?
The Aksiums say they have bladed spokes.
My Kysriums with bladed spokes are significantly affected by crosswinds.
The Aksiums cannot be used with normal brakes so can't be used on non-disc brake bikes. (do you have n+1 ?)
I know a few guys who run Aksiums and they have been very reliable but they had normal brakes.

You could have normal rims with disc hubs but they will be heavier.
They will be easier to maintain and a good Deore hub could have better weather protection ??

Just my two-pennerth.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

These wheels will only be used on my Croix de Fer so I'm not concerned about the lack of brake surface (I have a few non disc wheels!). The SPA page for the Mavics:
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s205p340 ... m-One-Disc
says tyre size 25-32mm I plan to use 32c Hypers, so I guess that will be OK though it is at the upper end of the range.

I don't really know much about hubs and rims to be honest are Deore hubs any good? Does anyone have any thoughts on which rims would be a good option for this tyre size and usage...
700c Silver 32h or 36h Rim: Rigida Chrina - ,
700c Silver 32h or 36h Rim: Exal LX17 - ,
700c Silver 32h or 36h Rim: Rigida Sputnik - ,
700c Silver 32h or 36h Rim: Exal XR2 - ,
700c Black 36h Rim: Rigida Grizzly - ,
700c Black 36h Rim: Exal DC19 disc specific -

I'm not that concerned about weight but out of interest does anyone have any idea how the above handbuilts would compare to the Mavic (which claims to be 1965g
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

which deore hubs? There are several.

Weight will vary with rim and spoke choice.

All the component weights are published, it is just a question of adding them up, or asking SPA perhaps.

The handbuilt wheels are unlikely to be lighter in weight for a given application than the Mavic wheels. The benefit of the handbuilt wheels is often in the fact that you can buy spare parts for them at reasonable cost, and rebuild them if necessary.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gloomyandy

Re: Lowish cost Disc wheelset from Spa

Post by gloomyandy »

Well the SPA page just says... "Shimano Deore 6 bolt disc compatible hubs" for the hubs:
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s178p306 ... isc-6-bolt

Any thoughts on which rim would be a good option?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

which would presumably make the hubs M525 ones. They are OK, but need lubing and setting up properly.

If you are only ever going to use 32mm tyres I'd suggest a 19mm (internal) rim, but such rims are typically a little heavier than narrower ones.

Worth thinking about 36h rear, 32h front, I'd have said.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

DC 19 is the obvious (disc only) option.
Deore hubs last well if you adjust the cones correctly (always too tight new) and given a bit of lubrication each year or so.....its easy to back the cones right off and squirt a bit of grease into the bearings, harder (but worthwhile) to encourage a drop of oil into the freewheel.....keep the waste off the discs, obviously, it mostly seems to leak out of the left side. Set them up with a bit of play that disappears when you do up the Q/R.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Both myself and a more burly friend bought Kinesis CX wheelsets @ 3 years ago, he for 'training', me for my CX/touring steed. They have been brilliant despite the abuse of loaded touring, off road riding and general abuse. They are lighter than the Mavics, low spoke count, rims are disc specific and happily take 32 although they will be fine for narrower too, 6 bolt rotor fixing, available in Shimano and Camp spline for @ £200pr.

For a different bike my friend recently bought a pair of Fulcrum (Campag in disguise!) disc wheels for a little more - seem to be bomb proof and once again lighter than the Mavics.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!