Horizon upgrades.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
IceCyclist

Horizon upgrades.

Post by IceCyclist »

I have a 2009 Dawes Horizon which I use as a winter bike, and which I was going to replace - except that I've become quite attached to the old thing over several thousand miles. I want to upgrade it instead.

Currently it has an Alivio groupset - what recommendations do people have for upgrading, bearing in mind that I want to stick with Shimano and drop handlebars. I'm happy to change to a double chainring on the front, rather than it triple that it currently has, provided that I can still have something closely approximating a granny gear for when I'm hauling a load up a hill. Equally, I want something suitable for charging back down the hill again!

My road bike has Ultegra brifters, and I'd like something similar (albeit not so expensive!) for the Horizon.

I thought maybe Shimano Tiagra 4703? Has anyone else got experience of this groupset, and is it a worthwhile upgrade over Alivio?
mercalia

Re: Horizon upgrades.

Post by mercalia »

whats wrong with the bike you have got that you feel need to upgrade? things worn out?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IceCyclist wrote: I thought maybe Shimano Tiagra 4703? Has anyone else got experience of this groupset, and is it a worthwhile upgrade over Alivio?

If your (8s?) alivio stuff is worn out or broken, go for it. Otherwise you are probably spending money to no good effect IMHO.

BTW the first thing that wears out on alivio 8s (past chain and cassette) is likely to be the cables, then the rear mech. If yours is a bit worn, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the shift quality if you fit new cassette, chain, cables and use a 9s rear mech (eg current alivio).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

if you are interested in going 10 sp, I have a new take off set of tiagra 3x10 levers going ( I took them off as I prefer friction bar ends) . won't 10 sp cassette fit on 8 sp hub,as they are narrower, if not then its a new back wheel. Keep front chainrings and shifters, and rear mech as well. But don't fall in to the marketing trap of 10sp is better than 9sp is better than 8 sp is better than 7 sp.. If it ain't broke..........if it is, then replace the part that's broke.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

The more gears you have, the less durable they are. Not what you particularly need on a salted/rained on/gritted on winter bike.
If things are worn out, sticking to 8s is probably a good cost/durability compromise.
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

I've upgraded my 520 Reynolds Horizon over the years - Deore MTB triple chainset and Deore XT derailleur, kept the STI shifters, all works fine. Tektro cantis, Mavic A319 wheels. Bought mine new about 2008.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My wife has a 2009 Horizon, it's all original apart from tyres, chain and cassette. I would change the brakes, as the Tektro's aren't great. The chainset has probably about had it, and I don't think you can replace just the rings. I would add bar top brake levers, as I have them on my Panorama and tend to use them in preference to the Brifters. The STIs seem pretty bomb proof, but could be upgraded to Claris if you want to retain 8 speed and want the more modern set up without the thumb shifters.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
IceCyclist

Post by IceCyclist »

Excellent advice from everyone - food for thought, definitely. In the end, I kept the Alivio groupset and opted to upgrade the integrated shifters to the latest Sora triple - which is very much closer in feel to the Ultegra that I have on my road bike. Also, it frees up the shifters that came with my Horizon to put onto a Horizon Twin that I acquired as a box full of bits.

Thank you to all!