apps smart trainer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jawaka

apps smart trainer

Post by jawaka »

I have a trip each year to the Alps or Pyrenees or somewhere hilly in France. I start riding in earnest 3 months before and go off and do hill repeats. I will be short of time this year and I'm thinking of a smart turbo trainer. All I want it to do is let me climb Alp d'Huez/ Stelvio/Ventoux in my garage, I'm not training to be competitive and I'm mostly a touring cyclist of 62, but I like to push myself because it's feels good when you get older and lets me convince myself taht "age is all in the mind".

I don't have much idea about technology, it just doesn't interest me. I've got a new android tablet, a ciclosport ANT computer. Which apps and which trainer will do this for me? Also reading some reviews, some say that they can't get things to pair or the software crashes and they think the trainer is a waste of money.

I've got some cash left over from my budget for replacing my windows so I am happy to spend up to a maximum £500 just so long as the thing will work properly.

Any advice would be great considering the potential outlay
Thanks folks
RickH

Re: apps smart trainer

Post by RickH »

I've no personal experience but the Tacx Vortex Smart gets a good review from the Cycling Plus guys & is within budget with a bit left over if think you want a paid for service to go with it

The other question then is whether the Android tablet will connect to everything OK. Make, model & Android version would be useful info in that respect.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
jawaka

Post by jawaka »

Hi rick
Thank you for your answer. It's a lenonvo tab with android 5.0 and a was bargain at Argos
RickH

Post by RickH »

The Lenovo tablets don't look as though they will do ANT+ which means to get your speed info you either need to see if an ANT+ dongle will work with an OTG adapter (no idea & no experience with that) or you need a bike computer that will send Bluetooth.

Beyond that you are getting beyond any level of expertise that I have. Sorry.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.