Keeping cable ends tidy and prevent fraying

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DarkNewt

Keeping cable ends tidy and prevent fraying

Post by DarkNewt »

Hi All,

on a few of my longer trips having to mess around with cables they can end up in fraying etc.. even rendering the cable scrap especially when having to remove crimped ends with a limited toolset on the bike.

I have found a solution that works for me and would also like to share with everyone:

The first thing is to buy some gearoop cable ends, available on amazon fleabay etc.. a pack of 10 is about £10.00 and enough to do two bikes with some spare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpbfemXze-8 (video of fitting the gearoop cable ends - not my video)

compared to the old method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_AraD4VE_0 (video of repairing a fray and crimping - also not my video)

When a cable is first put on when you have cut it to the desired length (always leave longer than you need, just not to long to interfere with anything) I always put some superglue on the end, it's runny, penetrates and really help prevent cables fraying.

I don't recommend soldering cable as this is difficult to remove if withdrawing the cable to lubricate and potentially means bits of solder end up in the housing when pulling through, the video shown here shows just how messy soldering the end can be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg4e-jC8YCw (video of soldering and also not my video)

as a final little tip, at the end of the housing I put a blob of lithium or copper grease helps stop water getting into the cable sheath.

hope this helps and any pointers disagreement welcome!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
mattsccm

Re: Keeping cable ends tidy and prevent fraying

Post by mattsccm »

A quid each! :? :?
Normal crimp on ones work perfectly. I buy them by the hundred. They leave cables reusable every time. Trick is not to leave too long an end after the clamp. That gets knocked about. My favourite alternative is half an inch of heat shrink but electrical connectors work well. .22 rifle brass also works although is a bit big.
A quid each! :mrgreen:
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

mattsccm wrote:A quid each! :? :?
Normal crimp on ones work perfectly. I buy them by the hundred. They leave cables reusable every time. Trick is not to leave too long an end after the clamp. That gets knocked about. My favourite alternative is half an inch of heat shrink but electrical connectors work well. .22 rifle brass also works although is a bit big.
A quid each! :mrgreen:

my problem is doing it on the road during a tour!

tightwad :D :D :D :D :D
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

If I'm feeling really fussy, when I fit a new cable I silver solder the end and file it smooth. (lead solder doesn't work on stainless.
meic

Post by meic »

All of my gear cables are just coiled up. May look a bit unconventional but it lets them get reused as often as needed and is a few seconds of work, costing nothing and needing no tools.
Quite a few of the brake cables are coiled or just hanging loose as too short to coil.
Yma o Hyd
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

DarkNewt wrote:Hi All,

on a few of my longer trips having to mess around with cables they can end up in fraying etc...

On my touring bike I simply coil all my cable ends in to a tidy loop. Cheaper than a pound a pop - and a soldering iron :-)
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I seem to be the only one that doesn't resent paying a pound a pop for a good idea :-) - I wonder what you guys make of the wireless shifting systems hehe (I bet I am going to regret that one)
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

531colin wrote:If I'm feeling really fussy, when I fit a new cable I silver solder the end and file it smooth. (lead solder doesn't work on stainless.

Using lead solder (actually tin/lead) on mine .. no problem. I have been using solder for a number of decades.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I install the cable and about 10mm above the cut point put a generous drop of super glue. Capillary action does the rest and the cut the next morning, using model rail track cutters, is clean and tidy.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Warin61 wrote:
531colin wrote:If I'm feeling really fussy, when I fit a new cable I silver solder the end and file it smooth. (lead solder doesn't work on stainless.

Using lead solder (actually tin/lead) on mine .. no problem. I have been using solder for a number of decades.

what flux do you use on stainless cables?

BTW if folk are in a position to use superglue on a cable end, it almost certainly means

a) you are not using PTFE coated cables
b) you didn't put any lube in the cable housing

which right away probably puts you in a minority...? (most folk do one or the other)

FWIW there are a zillion ways of dealing with cable ends but the simplest is probably to use electrical heat shrink insulation. Spending £10 on ten widgets seems a bit extravagant to me!

I will silver solder then file stainless cable ends, when I can be bothered to. Whether it is soft solder on galvanised cables or silver solder on stainless ones, I don't think there is the slightest risk of 'solder in the housing' if you have done a half-decent job of it and then pull the inner through.

The reason bike shops use crimp ends is that they are the fastest method. If you don't go nuts with them (two light nips is best) and the cut is neat, the cable end can usually be re-fed if necessary. Obviously if you leave the cable end 1" over, you can cut the end again if needs be.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil »

Brucey wrote:...what flux do you use on stainless cables?..

Phosphoric acid.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I use JM Tenacity 5 flux and also their Easy Flo 2 solder for just about everything....its what i happened upon originally (for fitting strainless bits to steel frames), and i have found no reason to change.
The solder contains cadmium, so the Elf n safety brigade have finished it.....I picked up some on E bay for next to nothing, I figure at my age and rate of use, its not a problem.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Coat the area of the cable inner where you're going to cut it with superglue and let it dry - then cut (with good cutters) in the middle of the glued area - then optionally fit an end cap but only crimp it very lightly so that with a pair of pliers it could be pulled off if the cable has to be removed.

That said - if you buy a small bulk supply of cable inners the per unit cost isn't much if you do end up with a "use once" situaton

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Brucey wrote:
BTW if folk are in a position to use superglue on a cable end, it almost certainly means

a) you are not using PTFE coated cables
b) you didn't put any lube in the cable housing

which right away probably puts you in a minority...? (most folk do one or the other)

PTFE lined cable outers with lube added after cutting ..... fairly simple ..... Method used on my Trek, Holdsworth and BTwin bikes .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Brucey wrote:
FWIW there are a zillion ways of dealing with cable ends but the simplest is probably to use electrical heat shrink insulation.

I really dislike the crimp on things, and as the OP says, they are a problem on the road, so, in the search for something better, i'll risk asking a really stupid sounding question and ask what you use to apply the heat?

I take it that that electrical heat shrink stuff is all pretty much the same diameter?
Sweep