Are these related?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PJ520

Are these related?

Post by PJ520 »

Tulsa wreck close up.jpg
Tulsa wreck close up.jpg (41.05 KiB) Viewed 303 times
The above was when I got rear ended on tour. This was about 1000 miles later. Despite the apparent mess after I got hit my LBS assured me the frame was perfectly straight so I had them put a new wheel on and it seemed perfectly OK. I discovered the broken frame after a day ride at home when the steering seemed to drift a bit. Trek replaced the frame under warranty even though i couldn't come up with the original receipt and the shop that sold me it was out of business.

I was wondering could the rear ender have caused the broken frame?
Broken bike on car.jpg
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Brucey

Re: Are these related?

Post by Brucey »

related?

Probably not; the point of fracture of the frame is one of the most highly stressed parts; it sees very high loads in normal use, and it is difficult to see how a rear impact could have created any unusual stresses in that area.

In addition the failure looks like a fatigue crack; these can be a very long time in the making.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Brucey wrote:related?

Probably not; the point of fracture of the frame is one of the most highly stressed parts; it sees very high loads in normal use, and it is difficult to see how a rear impact could have created any unusual stresses in that area.

In addition the failure looks like a fatigue crack; these can be a very long time in the making.

cheers
Thanks Brucey. So it was just our old friend coincidence. Well, it did have 54 thousand miles on it so fatigue seems reasonable. I was wondering if I should have tried to get a whole new bike after the crash. Interestingly the tube size seems to have shrunk at least on the seat tube. I had to get a new clamp for the front mech because the old one was 31.8 mm and the new 29.0 (or so) The seat post from the old frame fitted on the new surprisingly. Did they use an insert on the old seat tube I wonder? By the time I found this out the broken frame was on its way to Trek so I couldn't check it out.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
First thought not related.
New frame good deal.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.